RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious.

Do you work a steady 9am-5pm Monday - Friday type of job, or are you one of us wierdos who work an alternative shift ?

After 18 years of 6 days on 2 days off, rotating shifts (week of days, then a week of 3-11pm, then a week of midnights) our plant finally went on a 4 days on, 4 days off, 12 hour shift schedule. So far, I love the extra days off, but the loooooong days are a killer. Put 4 hours of overtime onto a 12 hour day,......... and it seems like forever.

Steve

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Once you get used to it you wil never want to go back to 8 hr shifts. I work 12's on a 5 week rotation and get a 7 day off and a 5 day every 5 weeks and never work more than 4 in a row. I actually only work 14 days in a month and half of those are nights so I can hunt,fish and train dogs all but 7 days a month.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I work 6:30-2:30 M-F. But if you tack on the hour commute each way, it sure seems a lot longer of a day! I carpool with the boss and her husband so my time is not real strict - might be a little late in the AM or leave work early or late, depending on her schedule.

Andy

·
Registered
159 Posts
I work 24 on 48 off. You cant beat only working 10 days a month. I love it, probably wouldnt know what to do if I worked 9 to 5.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
None of the above. I'm independently wealthy and live a life of ease and luxury.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I work 12 hr shift right now. I hate nights and usually trade them off for 11amX11pm shifts or days. So, when I'm working that's all I'm doing. I hate leaving the dogs doing nothing for more than 2 days in a row.
12 hrs has it's upside, especially when it comes to taking overtime, but it is not a balanced schedule.
I've worked a 6 on 2 off. I hope it never happens again.
The best schedule I ever worked is a 5 on 3 off.
Balanced, and multiple days off.

The 12 hr staff that have never done it won't believe those of us who have.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
I'm a 9-5 but regularly work 8-7 plus the hour commute each way. Wish I could find a way to do four 10 hour days or something.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
My schedual asually changes day to day. It varies in length from day to day. When we are busy it is usually dark when I go in and dark when I get home. Even in the summer when the days are the longest. I get days when I start at 3 AM and may not get home until 9PM, the next day may not start until 7AM. This schedual is hard to get time to wrok the dogs. This is one of the reasons I send the dogs out for months at a time to a pro. Finding even 15 minutes a day is almost impossible. Not complaining as it pays the bills and allows me the the luxuray of sending the dogs out and to go hunting out of state for a week at a time. This year will be a bit better as I now have 4 weeks vacation plus 3 person days. P-days have to be used by the end of the year, vacation days I can carry 5 days over to next year.

18 wheels and a dozen roses regards.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I worked a 8 hr day for a 40 hour week. I left home at 5 am and got back around 7 pm. Sometimes I got to go in at 2 am and go in on Sat. and/or Sun. Oh, the phone frequently rang from time to time at 7 pm through 4 am. Gotta love those 40 hour weeks. I loved my job. It's even better now. I only get 70% of the pay but I put in 0% of the hours. My current job title of retired is quite satisfying. HPW

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Becky Mills said:
None of the above. I'm independently wealthy and live a life of ease and luxury.
Well now, Miss Becky. Any time you feel like sending your private Lear jet my way so I can come dip my toes in your cement pond-just holler.

Packin' My Bags Regards-

M

·
Registered
987 Posts
I work 8:30 to 4:30 -- oncall evenings and weekends every 8 weeks -- have to work some evenings and weekends (get lieu time instead of overtime) -- but I have to commute an hour each way -- looking forward to moving up north very close to great training grounds and a pretty good training group -- new house with few acres -- close to beach on Georgian Bay -- and close to new job that will cut travelling time in half -- but still working Mon. to Fri. 9-5

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
To actually answer the question: I work M-F daytime hours that vary. I have an hour and a half for lunch & live 5 minutes from work. That allows me to train on my lunch hour & ride my bike to work (on a gorgeous bike path by the lake) in the summer. I'm never home later than 5:00 & it's 4:00 most days.

My boss has a super attitude. When I took the job I said, "I have this hobby and I may need a lot of Fridays off or to work through my lunch hour, leave early & train." Her response? "This is your job. That is clearly your life. You do the first one because it allows you to do the other." I think that once in 7 years she had to tell me she couldn't be flexible. Other than that-I've been able to arrange work around training & going to events. I feel very, very lucky.

Oh & Steve-see you in a couple weeks & I'll be there in time for dinner! :)

M

·
Registered
221 Posts
Start at 4:30 AM to 5+ PM some days i sneek out early but mostly 60 hours a week .

·
Registered
52 Posts
I start work around 10 a.m and finish around midnight. Training in morning, lunch and after work. I'm self employed. I joke with friends that owning your own business is great, you only need to work half a day... literally.

Cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
I currently work 3-11 tues and wed off. I have been on shift work for about 7 years now and had the 12 hr shifts. They were sweet, I felt I was off all the time despite the LONG days. We did it 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off. basicly every other weekend was a three day weekend and never worked more than three days in a row unless it was overtime.
Twice a month I could burn 24 hrs and have a weeks vacation. It was nice while it lasted.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
For the first 30 years of my working life I worked an average of 70-80 hours/week, leaving the house at 5:45 and returning about 7:45 between the office and the commute. I brought work home every night and most weekends, traveled frequently, and when I had to work late I simply slept at the office. It cost me my marriage and much of my life. Fortunately I was smart enough to change before it cost me my kids. Three years ago I moved my office into my house and now try to do as little office work as possible, spending the rest of my time taking photographs, playing with my dogs, and doing various types of volunteer work. If only I had a pension to support the lifestyle I aspire to. :wink: Instead I try to make each of hobbies pay for itself and keep the rest of my life simple.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I work a 12hr. swing shift, work every other weekend Sat,Sun,Mon. And other than that 3 day weekend I work no more than 2 days consecutively, I love it, lots of time for training.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I recently started a new job. During the interview with the owner, I asked how much overtime he expected from his guys. He told be it rare that they work a 45 hr week. In that instance I would be required to work for 5 hrs on a Saturday! But that would be a RARE instance.

I have worked 55 to 60 hrs EVERY WEEK SINCE THANKSGIVING!!! :shock: :!: :!:

The hrs are sposed to be 6:30 to 2:30 M-F --YEA RIGHT!!!

Looking to move to your LAID BACK RURAL LIFESTYLE if you'll have me!!

Worn out old man regards

Gooser :!:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts