RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife works at a vet hospital and suddenly last week they began seeing several dogs infected with canine leptospirosis. This week all the area veterinarians began networking, they are all seeing cases.

Now we have received word that veterinarians in New Jersey are seeing a huge increase in cases causing the state health department to issue an alert!

From a rarity to a commonality? It is spreading folks! If your dog's vaccinations are up to date, you should have nothing to worry about. If your dog's vaccinations are not up to date, you need to do it immediately!

Leptospirosis CAN spread to humans and is deadly!

·
Registered
41 Posts
kennel cough is going crazy down here in texas.
has anyone quality controled the vac. mfg.? :shock:
i hope what we are giving is good.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Kevin...is the issue in NJ reported through to the vet's at your wife's office?

We have Lab friends in NJ..and they come to the lake here in Maine..next door to us..every summer. I will email them ...a heads up...if it is.

Thanks..

Judy

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Kevin, what serovars are they seeing?

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
We lived in a "hot bed" of lepto for years when we were dairy farmers back in WI.

Haven't run into it since I went back to WI for summer trip last summer. There cases are being seen that are lymes with lepto together!!!!

Nice..... :?

We're vaccinated here regards,,,,

Angie

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
The Vets around here in Washington used to recommend against vaccinating for Lepto. But a couple of years ago cases started increasing and my Vet now encourages having your dog vaccinated. I've been vaccinating for 2 years. One of the causes of spread around here is the large raccoon population. Areas of slow water are higher risk. It can be spread from an affected raccoon's urination. HPW

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
HarryWilliams said:
The Vets around here in Washington used to recommend against vaccinating for Lepto. But a couple of years ago cases started increasing and my Vet now encourages having your dog vaccinated. I've been vaccinating for 2 years. One of the causes of spread around here is the large raccoon population. Areas of slow water are higher risk. It can be spread from an affected raccoon's urination. HPW
From any animals body fluids. Urine, saliva,,,etc....

Angie

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TO: Veterinarians; Animal Control Officers;Kennels; Pet shops
SUBJECT: guidance on Canine Leptospirosis
SOURCE: NJDHSS
DATE: March 1, 2007

DISTRIBUTED BY: Sally E. Weirback, LINCS Coordinator
Phone: 908-689-6693
Fax: 908-689-3832
Email: [email protected]

NJLINCS Health Alert Network
Public Health Advisory
Distributed by the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services

Subject: Guidance on Canine Leptospirosis
Date: 3/1/2007; 15:21:59
Message #: 100398-3-1-2007-PHAD
Contact Info: Colin T. Campbell, New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services
Phone: 609-588-3121; Email: [email protected]
Faye E. Sorhage, New Jersey Department of Health
Phone: 609-588-3121; Email: [email protected]
Attachments: canine_leptospirosis_Alert_LINCS_March_2007_letterhead.doc

Please distribute this notice and the attachment to veterinarians, animal control officers and managers of shelters, pet shops, pounds and kennels in your jurisdiction

New Jersey veterinarians are reporting that they are seeing an increase in cases of canine leptospirosis, a bacterial disease that can cause infection in the liver and kidneys in their client's dogs. Leptospirosis can also affect humans, although it's usually associated with contact with contaminated water as opposed to contact with infected pets.

The bacteria causing leptospirosis are spread through the urine of infected animals (raccoons, opossums, skunks and rodents), which can get into water or soil and can survive there for weeks to months. Humans and animals can become infected through contact with this contaminated urine, water, or soil. The bacteria can enter the body through skin or mucous membranes (eyes, nose, or mouth), especially if the skin is broken from a cut or scratch. Drinking contaminated water can also cause infection. Because of increased building and development into areas that were previously rural, pets may be exposed to displaced wildlife infected with leptospirosis.

The incubation period is usually 5 to 14 days, but can be as short as a few days or as long as 30 days or more. The clinical signs of leptospirosis vary and are nonspecific. Sometimes pets do not have any symptoms.

Common clinical signs reported in dogs include fever, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, refusal to eat, severe weakness and depression, stiffness, severe muscle pain, or infertility. Generally younger animals are more seriously affected than older animals. Dogs that spend little outdoors are still at risk of infection.

Veterinarians are urged to consider leptospirosis in their differential diagnoses. Prompt diagnosis and treatment with antibiotics will increase the chance of a good prognosis and more rapid and complete recovery. Aggressive supportive treatment may be required.

Veterinarians should consider leptospirosis vaccination for their client's dogs. It should be noted that commercial vaccines do not provide immunity against all serovars of the bacteria which can cause infection. Because rodents can spread the bacteria, keep rodent problems (rats, mice, or other animal pests) under control.

NJDHSS in collaboration with the Sussex County Division of Health and Sussex county veterinarians has developed the attached, "Advice for Dog Owners with Pets Infected with Leptospirosis," and encourages veterinarians, animal control officers and managers of shelters, pet shops, pounds and kennels to distribute this information to pet owners, as appropriate.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last Frontier Labs said:
Kevin, what serovars are they seeing?
My wife Sherri (who ironically spells her name the same as you) is off for the weekend so can't find out until Monday.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The below is a piece from the book Shock to the System by
Catherine O'Driscoll

Because lepto is a range of bacterins, vaccines cannot confer permanent immunity, and so some vets urge you to vaccinate against this annually.
In America, however, independent experts, such as Dr. R. Schultz, head of pathobiology at WI University, advise that this vaccine should not be used, since it is widely ineffective and is known to cause serious adverse reactions.
All of the warnings and contraindications apply - so you're getting a potentially ineffective vaccine and running the risks of a life-threatening vaccine reaction at the same time.

I have read and heard the above more than once about the Lepto vaccine. It can last for only 6 months, and adverse reactions are often seen.

Chances of it hitting the very same strain that our dogs can come in contact with is a crap shoot.
Just like Bordettela vaccine.....I had all my dogs vaccinated some got
KC, some didn't....the vaccine did nothing to protect them........

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
I always split my Lepto vaccines from the rest..... and haven't had a problem. It's a pain to do it, since it requires an extra trip. If giving at home, always make sure your local vet or emergency vet is open at the time you give it.

I believe the lepto vaccines now cover four strains whereas they used to cover only two.... so I'm wondering when the Wi University statement was made...

But I agree with Janice. It's all a crap shoot. You do the best you can for these guys...

P.S. Thanks for the heads up, Kevin.

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
In America, however, independent experts, such as Dr. R. Schultz, head of pathobiology at WI University, advise that this vaccine should not be used, since it is widely ineffective and is known to cause serious adverse reactions.
All of the warnings and contraindications apply - so you're getting a potentially ineffective vaccine and running the risks of a life-threatening vaccine reaction at the same time.

This is an older article pertaining to the 2 serovars that rarely caused problems other than reactions and many people stopped giving them. The newer vaccine has 4 serovars, 2 of which ARE ones causing serious illness and can cause death very quickly. It is true that one serovar is not in the vaccine yet that is causing problems. In SE Wisconsin, there have been problems for some time (> 5 years) and when they came out with the 4 serovars I started vaccinating but I give it alone. There are dogs that are getting Lepto from city parks, hence the raccoon vector theory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Vaccinations Up to Date

In Oregon and Washington we are also having an outbreak of the parvovirus.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Lepto

I started our last June on the Max5-4L after I had a 12 week old puppy ,and a three yeard old Lab die from lepto.They were never anywhere near each other.They just started peeing orange,and eyes and gums went jaundiced.....two days later they were dead at the vet.I hadnt known I could catch it too,and held the puppy ...kissing her and letting her pee all over the room.I cant believe I didnt get it! Question: Should I give my dogs the 4-L every six or twelve months?

Kennel cough is going crazy round here too.

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
Should I give my dogs the 4-L every six or twelve months
They are saying every 6 months is best, especially since you lost one. It is a vaccine that doesn't confer immunity for as long as a year. Buy the 25 dose pack.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I always use the Max 5-CVK/4L.

Is that OK?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Kevin, the reason I asked is that recently either here or at the 'Fuge someone lost a dog to Lepto and they found 2 serovars in that case that are not typically covered in the vaccines. The dog was positive for, if I remember correctly, 6 different serovars.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Last Frontier Labs said:
Kevin, the reason I asked is that recently either here or at the 'Fuge someone lost a dog to Lepto and they found 2 serovars in that case that are not typically covered in the vaccines. The dog was positive for, if I remember correctly, 6 different serovars.
Just spoke to a biologist today about the serovars and she said that there are so many out there, most of them are unknown--the latest vaccine will be minimal protection at best. The younger dogs seem to be at most risk. She also said that even if you vaccinate every 6 mos. doesn't mean a dog can't contract Lepto. Apparently it goes in spurts--some years you hear about very few cases and then it rears its ugly head seemingly everywhere.

And for those of you who vaccinate at home make sure you do it when your vet has open office hours because there's a lot of dogs that have SEVERE reactions to the vaccine to the point where they can die if they don't get help ASAP!!!!

I have two dogs who react badly to their regular shots so they have to be pre-treated prior to the shots and the Lepto vaccine has me really concerned.

Pat

·
Registered
423 Posts
lepto

Coincidentaly, we had a scheduled appt with the vet today for annual vaccinations. DHLP has always been given along with kennel cough and heart-worm. Today, lymes was added to the batch. The only dog that he actually tested for Lepto was because the owner had it and they thought he might have contracted it through the dog. Dog came up clean! He said one of the best (worst) places to encounter it was cow ponds which supports your statement Angie.

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
And for those of you who vaccinate at home make sure you do it when your vet has open office hours because there's a lot of dogs that have SEVERE reactions to the vaccine to the point where they can die if they don't get help ASAP!!!!

I have two dogs who react badly to their regular shots so they have to be pre-treated prior to the shots and the Lepto vaccine has me really concerned.
Pat, were you giving Lepto alone or in combination with another vaccine when you got reactions? I have not had reactions to the Lepto alone and I have given it to everyone since it came so for quite a few years.

Evidently the serovars may cross-react with a significant titer being 1:800 or a significant rise in titer after 2 weeks.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol12no03/05-0809.htm
http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/CLERK/noel/

I have had Lepto in my barn over 25 years ago isolated from a goat.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts