RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took our 7 1/2 year old in for his annual on Friday and the vet found an absessed tooth. Not one to ever sit on this type of thing I got him in asap for extraction and a full dental. Of course since I'm not gonna put a dog under any more than needed I signed for them to treat, pull, whatever any other teeth that needed treatment.. So we went this morning. They called just before lunch. 3 molars and 1 premolar had to be pulled. I can go get him after 3.
But anyway I have had labs all of my life and never had an issue like this. MY vet is not pull happy either as my 9 year old has a dead front tooth and as there is no issue with the tooth he won't put him under for it but considers it something that we will do if he goes under for another reason.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Not uncommon for a older dog that has never had a dental in his life. Some dogs have worse teeth than others and it's all in the genes. Some dogs can go there whole life without a dental others need them once or twice a year. Just depends on the dog. I wouldn't worry that those 4 teeth had to be pulled, better to get them out than cause another abcess in the future. The gums will be healed up in 7-14 days and he will be no worse for wear. He will probably feel better and eat better after they are healed up. I would have him checked each year now and even start brushing or using other dental products so you don't have to have another dental done. 7.5 isn't that old thou to put a dog under general anesthesia as long as your vet uses proper anesthesia and taylors the combinations to your dogs age and needs. We do dentals on dogs over 10 years and older without any problems.

Hope he is feeling better soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts