RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after months of working with Bailey with Hillman's puppy video I realized that Bailey would be served better to be with a trainer. She was doing well, but there were a few things that I wasn't seeing improvment with. I'm a little dissapointed that I couldn't do it my self, but my total lack of experience was beginning to show. I found a trainer who really likes her. I left her with her for a week for her to evaluate and she said she understood all of the commands that I taught her. She suggested that it was more likely that I was asking her to comply instead of demanding it. She commented that her willing to please was a huge plus. I decided that she was too well a bread dog for me to learn to train with. She said part of her program was for me to spend a day or two with her every month so she can teach me as well. Wish me and her luck. I get her back in three months... or so... to start.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Good luck friend....
I wish you and your dog the very best of success..

Gooser

·
Registered
608 Posts
I was in your boat not long ago...

I really wanted to do everything myself! I was focused and determined... but after working at it and working at it I soon started to see the truth. This being my first retriever I just did not know enough to get it done. We were starting on 'hold' when he left but it was not going super well. When I met with the trainer my biggest problem was I really had no idea whatsoever what my end 'goal' should look like. I watched the videos but really did not understand what I was working towards (Besides a good hunting dog and test dog).

I found a trainer that is close to me and decided to send him away just for FF. When I dropped him off I know the guy had a really good laugh, my dog looked like a wild child with no rules and no training! :rolleyes:

After the second night he called me a told me my dog was a "Cadillac". He said to me he would have never guessed how far I had the dog, but I need to stop nagging him! Then he pretty much went right into FF after a week of getting to know the dog and we never looked back.

I never knew how much pressure to use in any of my training. I was terrified of messing my dog up, but because of that all I was doing was making things more difficult for us. Only hands on with a pro made me understand that gap.

He has been away for about 6 months now and is just getting done with basics. He comes home for a weekend, or like now he is home for the week to hang out.

My only regret is not sending him away sooner!
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yep, some of the best money I ever spent. I would rerun my dog thru the training sequences after the pro taught him. This allowed me to learn how to run a dog and how to read one. I won't say I can really read a dog, but I've gotten better. I also thinks there's a difference in training a dog and running a dog.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine is half way through a FF program with a trainer right now too. I pulled him out of training for a couple of weeks to run in the Boykin Spaniel Nationals. He turned 8 months old the day we arrived and won the Reserve JAM in the puppy group. Took him back to the trainer to finish FF and get ready for HRC. I can't wait to get him home!!! The waiting is the worst part.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I posted this story in a different thread, but it fits here too...

When I got Chase (my last dawg), the breeder told me he would be a handful; I accepted that challenge. However, I could not control the consistency required for this pup from my ex-wife and step kids. When he was 5 months old, every training day was like starting over, he was becoming a terror in the house, and I knew I had to get him out of there...so off to the pro he went.

That was the best decision ever. My pro got things ironed out quickly, and I got to be involved in the training. Chase and I learned a ton. Sounds like you have that same opportunity, so take advantage of it. You will not regret it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts