RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Anybody used a bark collar on a 5to 6 mo. puppy and what was the results?
Yes.

Used the Bark Collar to teach that barking was not acceptable in HIGHLY CONTROLLED situations.

I did NOT just slap a bark collar on her, put her into a kennel and let her get zapped.

Dog is 4 years old now. She's knows what quiet means and is quiet.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Just like any other dog,if theyre smart enough to figure out why theyre getting it they will stop barking right away. I've had to use it on youngsters (4mos-but thankfully only about 2 or 3 dogs in over 16 years) and older ones. The smarties figure it out and the ummm... not so smart ones, dont . I hope yours is in teh first camp.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm trying to help a family member out with a smaller dog (20 lb bichon). Any recommendations for a collar to fit smaller dogs? The tri tronics model looks like it might be a bit big for smaller dogs.

Thanks Tim

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm trying to help a family member out with a smaller dog (20 lb bichon). Any recommendations for a collar to fit smaller dogs? The tri tronics model looks like it might be a bit big for smaller dogs.

Thanks Tim
The bark collar or regular e-collar for the Bichon?

I have a friend who uses the Dogtra collar for smaller dogs. 15lbs. Dogtra makes collars that the recievers are different sizes depending on which model you buy. I think it is the 280NCP Platinum. Dog is a Scotty. Just uses it to reinforce recall.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
There are different sizes of bark collars you can get I have a dogtra that you can adjust the intensity of the correction first try a spraying the dog in the face with a water bottle every time it barks and say quiet or silence then, after the dog knows it is wrong to bark then put the collar on when you are around and when it barks again if still doing it spray it in the face with the water again and say quiet even after it gets a zap then it can associate the two corrections - sorta like collar conditioning for barking

·
Registered
100 Posts
6 month old lab pup, Tritronics bark limiter with lowest plug, 1st club training day. Pulled onto grounds, collar on dog, and parked by barking dogs. My dog barked twice with mild yips at end of each bark, and that was it. No more barking. I've been told some dogs will learn to whine as that doesn't activate the collar, so bleed off that energy with walks, airing, and work vs. leaving them to learn whining as an outlet. For me, barking at home in response to doorbell is OK (cheap alarm system) so no collar at home. Use selectively as your standards dictate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts