RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pup tucker (4 months) does great when we are training. the problem im having is A) will randomly pee in the house (i just read a excellent post on this, 2 hrs in the cage 30 min play time then extend.).

B) when tucker is in the cage he will bark and bark and bark( this is my actual issue, which (A) causing.) I was told to grab his mouth and hold it should while saying "quiet". Is that ok to do while the pup is in his cage? i dont want him to not like his cage.

I know these may have been brought up but i only found the answer to problem A when searching.

He is a good learner, i watch him build his confidence and im getting better at reading him. Im just getting frustrated with the little peeing spats he goes through.

any help would be great

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My pup tucker (4 months) does great when we are training. the problem im having is A) will randomly pee in the house (i just read a excellent post on this, 2 hrs in the cage 30 min play time then extend.).

B) when tucker is in the cage he will bark and bark and bark( this is my actual issue, which (A) causing.) I was told to grab his mouth and hold it should while saying "quiet". Is that ok to do while the pup is in his cage? i dont want him to not like his cage.

I know these may have been brought up but i only found the answer to problem A when searching.

He is a good learner, i watch him build his confidence and im getting better at reading him. Im just getting frustrated with the little peeing spats he goes through.

any help would be great

On the peeing: Confine Tucker so you can correct him, and say no! "Outside" Timing is everything.
take him outside, and I like to reinforce a good boy for a good pee or poop. Show him where he is supposed to relieve himself. Takes some time. I say, do it, my wife says go potty--- Chose your words. You have to catch him in the act for a correction.

On the barking: Never reward him for that behavior, wait till he is quiet, and let him out. Positive reinforcement. Good boy. Again, takes time, he's a pup, and wants to be with you. I see no point in grabbing his mouth--better alternatives at that age.

On the cage: Dawgs like the term kennnel better than cage;) Good luck with Tucker!

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I know some say not to use this before CC but maybe a Bark Collar is in order.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I know some say not to use this before CC but maybe a Bark Collar is in order.
I was ill advised to put a Bark Collar on a non cc dog and forever will believe I ruined her. I put it on and when she would see me in the yard and bark she would get burned. She soon avoided me.

Then I read a thread on here and one of the post was by Howard N. His advice was put the bark collar on with it off and slowly increase the level over several days. I just used this method on a young dog starting with 0 then after two days a 1, two days later a 2 and so on.

Using this method I have seen no adverse affect on the dog and am looking forward to seeing how cc goes with him.

Thanks Howard N for some great advice.

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts