RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 1/2 female CBR. Took her out last night and ran some blinds with her. During marks she is quite and watches the marks, goes and gets them and then when it is time to line her up for the blind she goes crazy and starts to bark and lay down and gets so excited. My husband is the one running and he pulls her up when she lays down so she is sitting when released. She will bark while sitting there and when she is released. When he has to handle she sits and after given the cast she will bark as she is turning for the cast. She will also lay down in the field when given the sit command. She started to do this last year when training for blind work. We haven't done any blind work since last fall until now and want to get this under control early if I can. Any tips of the trade to stop her from barking at the line? She takes her cast poperly but seems like she has to get the last word in while out in the field. Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Do you train with an e-collar? Some of those responses are common when too much pressure has been applied to a dog. It is an avoidance behavior attempting to avoid pressure. Does the problem go away when she does not have an e-collar on?

I have a GRF that would bark when you sent her on blinds and it is never consistent. It seems to be more prevalent after her heat cycle or after a litter of pups. She would bark occasionally on casts, but it was hard to correct since she was never consistent. I ended up teaching her "quiet" and before sending her on blinds, I would tell her quiet and release with a soft back. It is not an easy problem to fix.

I used a lot of attrition for cast corrections instead of the e-collar and it seemd to help too.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is trained with a collar. She does it also when no collar is on. It seems like she gets so excited she can't take it and barks. When she lays down she will sit up and lay down, crouch backwards all in one fast movement, while barking. Like I said in the begining post she is quite for marks but I did do an honor with her last night also and she whined while on honor and was shaking and trying go and get the bumper. I told her quite and held her mouth shut until she was quite on the honor.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
normanj said:
She is trained with a collar. She does it also when no collar is on. It seems like she gets so excited she can't take it and barks. When she lays down she will sit up and lay down, crouch backwards all in one fast movement, while barking. Like I said in the begining post she is quite for marks but I did do an honor with her last night also and she whined while on honor and was shaking and trying go and get the bumper. I told her quite and held her mouth shut until she was quite on the honor.
Put out 5 piles around 200 yds or more. Run her on all five, and then run her again. The second time around try casting from one to the other every other time or so. Mix it up. Let her bark her head off. She's just wearing herself out.... 8)

Do this twice a day for 7 days and she won't be barking and fooling around anymore..... The novelty and excitement of blinds will have totally worn off. She'll be much more sober about her work since she now knows she'll be at it for an hour..... :?

When you train your set-ups by yourself or with others, do at least 2 blinds preferrably 3. She'll be better with every blind.

You might have to refresh on this drill a couple times a year. Don't worry about it...

Angie

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Why do you think this dog is lying down? I am particuarly focused on other issues/behavior this dog is displaying, as normally there are others?

Remember me, why why why, and how it relates to our dogs training. All that classical and operant STUFF. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts