RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys,

I was reading another thread and they were talking about birdboy blinds. I found a buddy that can throw birds for me during the week and help me out. So can you explain the BB blinds to me? So you friend walks out to the field about 30 yds, sets a bird down a few yards away from him. Send the dog on the Back command and handle if needed to the bird? Once he gets this bird have the birdboy move about 10 yards to one side and repeat this again. Do this about 5 times or so? Also, does the birdboy ever go farther out into the field?

Also, have another question. I dont have any small ponds around here but I do have one that is long and narrow. I need like a small pot hole to do simple water cheating singles. Can I jsut use one end of the long and narrow pond to do this? He will be tempted to cheat the side of the pond. Will this work and get the point across? I will post up a pic of the pond too.

Thanks Robert

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a pic of my pond. I was thinking of having my launcher set up on the other side of this and have him swim across it on one end of the pond. Will this work for a simple water cheating pond?

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
maybe make the mark land in line with that telephone pole on the right in the distance.Run your dog from right side of water.He might want to cheat the bank instead of angle entry.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, should I try a pop up blind too, or just stick with the BB blind and if it does not work go to a pop up blind?

Should the dog see the birdboy drop the bumper each time before running the blind?

Angie...help!!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Nope, the dog shouldn't see the BB drop the bumper. Do this drill in short mown grass (like what is in the your picture). Start with a white bumper that the dog can easily see. Send him for the retrieve. When the dog is on his way back to you, the BB drops a bumper at his feet and walks 10-20 ft away. You receive the dog, and set him up to run it again.

With each successive retrieve the BB angles away from you at the line, and eventually switches to orange bumpers. Of course the distances and use of orange bumpers are dictated by how your dog is progressing through the drill. If fido is lining it every time, then can extend the distances and start with orange bumpers more quickly. If fido is having trouble simplify by keeping distances short and using white bumpers.

and don't be afraid to handle as necessary, but certainly don't nit-pick the line. Keep the dog rolling and running hard, and only handle if he's going to completely miss the bumper.

Thats my take on it anyway.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Pop up blinds

I haven't used the pop-up blinds before, but I have been wanting to for a while now. My dog is capable of running a decent blind, but sometimes lacks the entusiasim to drive out hard. I was thinking a pop up blind or two might help his blind attitude with out having to resort to pressure.

Just waiting for the next training day with a training partner with a bumper-boy. I don't have the fancy toys, but think a bumper boy would work like a charm.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Run them every day for four or five days. Your dog should get to where he can do these in his sleep, almost lining them.

Then back up another thirty yards and do them again. They will be harder.

I did some Sunday where we did a 30 yard blind then moved across a channel kind of like yours but about half the size and kept doing them because of the heat. Same concept, but with water to cool them off.

You have a great pond for hand thrown cheating singles. Take your dog, sit him and throw a bumper across the corner. When he cheats, handle him into the water and to the bumper. Repeat. If he cheats again, give him a little nick and handle him in. Repeat. Keep going until he gets it right.

You can change the angle of the throws across the corner to get more cheat. End up throwing one adjacent to the bank, in the water. Dog must swim straight line to the bumper, parralleling the shore. Because you are so close, the bumper should not drift that much. Correct in much the same manner.

I like to do these "mini-cheaters' at about ten yards per throw. When the dog gets it right, move to another corner or location. It's amazing how fast dogs learn the difference between right and wrong by doing these mini cheaters.

I try to find water with well-defined banks (steeper banks) that don't muddy up the fact that water is good, land is bad.

You can then start doing longer cheating singles on the same corners and channels of your pond.

Then transition into tune up drills, which are blinds cutting the same corners.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
It doesn't appear that you understand BB blinds. They don't belong on water. They should be done on uncomplicated land with good visibility. They're introductory cold blind drills usually done very early in Transition.

Your first blind should be place prior to the dog being brought to the line, with the bird boy having already moved to position #2. As the dog picks up the first bumper and turns to go toward the handler, the BB should place the next bumper at that position and then move to position #3, etc.

They're cold blinds, but simple ones.

Evan

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Evan said:
It doesn't appear that you understand BB blinds. They don't belong on water. They should be done on uncomplicated land with good visibility. They're introductory cold blind drills usually done very early in Transition.

Your first blind should be place prior to the dog being brought to the line, with the bird boy having already moved to position #2. As the dog picks up the first bumper and turns to go toward the handler, the BB should place the next bumper at that position and then move to position #3, etc.

They're cold blinds, but simple ones.

Evan
He asked two different questions, one about bird boy blinds on land and one about cheating marks on water. He was on the right track, too.

I think that bird boy blinds are a good drill to go back to from time to time with an advanced dog. Great opportunity to regain control and work on blind mechanics.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright, I am not doing the BB blinds and water cheating together. 2 totally different questions, but sorry for the confusion.

So do you guys think I should run more pattern blinds? So on the pattern blind, the pile should be marked? Also should it be in the same field every day until he knows where the piles are, then switch to another field and do it again? I ran some BB blinds today, and he seemed to get the point, did not pop but was not really energetic or fast with good momentum.

Evan, or anyone, so yall think I should go back and run more pattern blinds instead of BB blinds? Which one builds the best momentum for a dog? After he understands one field on pattern blinds, how many more times should I do it? I ran pattern blinds for about a week in one field, after he knew the piles, I moved on. Maybe I should have gone to another field and taught piles again and run more to build his momentum? I might go back to pattern blinds, or should I just keep doing BB blinds to hopefully build his momentum? What do yall suggest? How many fields of pattern blinds do yall run?

Also Evan, do you think the pond would work for single cheating marks, like use the end of the pond?

Thanks alot,
Robert

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Evan, can you explain what pattern blinds to compared to BB blinds? I mean I know how to run them now, but in the end are you looking for the same results, or are they different results?

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
huntingrdr said:
Alright, I am not doing the BB blinds and water cheating together. 2 totally different questions, but sorry for the confusion.
Me, too. I thought you were inquiring about involving water in your BB blinds. I must have misread something.
huntingrdr said:
So do you guys think I should run more pattern blinds? So on the pattern blind, the pile should be marked? Also should it be in the same field every day until he knows where the piles are, then switch to another field and do it again?
Not really. There isn't much to gain after the dog is going well on pattern blinds. They'll get you started, but only cold blinds are cold blinds.

As to your question about pattern blinds, it's a common practice (and a good idea) to pre-identify them. That's really their usefulness. It's self-limiting, but so what? It gets them going with a confident attitude, and then you can move on to real blinds.
huntingrdr said:
I ran some BB blinds today, and he seemed to get the point, did not pop but was not really energetic or fast with good momentum.
If this is so, you really have little to gain through running pattern blinds. Your dog is beginning to understand the cold blind game. Why go backwards?
huntingrdr said:
Evan, or anyone, so yall think I should go back and run more pattern blinds instead of BB blinds? Which one builds the best momentum for a dog?
#1: Pattern blinds don't build momentum. They tend to result in style because the dog knows where he's going all the time and is sure of success. No challenge in that. No. #2: After he's going well on BB blinds (which are cold blinds) and understanding them well, he'll likely gain momentum, as well. Style and momentum are not the same things.
huntingrdr said:
After he understands one field on pattern blinds, how many more times should I do it? I ran pattern blinds for about a week in one field, after he knew the piles, I moved on.
It sounds from your post that you've exhausted the need for them. I'd go run more BB blinds, Zig-zag drills, and Cheating Singles.
huntingrdr said:
Also Evan, do you think the pond would work for single cheating marks, like use the end of the pond?

Thanks alot,
Robert
I think your pond is a good place to start. Just run some simple corner cheaters to start with; diagonal entries and exits are a fine way to get going on de-cheating.

Evan

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome, thanks for the help Evan!! Will continue running BB blinds the rest of the week. The first 2 bumpers the dog had to watch the birboy set the bumper down but after that he was doing it pretty well. How far do you normally extend these once the dog is understanding it?

Evan, thanks again for the help. I am 16 and just learning and this is my first hunting dog and want to get him the the master level. I appreciate all the help you have give on this thread and please keep it coming. Thanks to everyone else for your help too!!

Robert

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
You're welcome, Robert.

Extending distance is really a matter of reading how well the dog is doing as you go along. Of course you don't want to rush it, but if he's handling it well, just keep extending distance as conditions will allow, including how fresh the dog is staying. A tired dog is less ready to learn and grow. Keep coming back on subsequent days for more. He'll tell you what he's ready for.

Good luck.

Evan

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So once he is running short blinds good with momentum, should I continue to run these drills. Will run the BB drill for the rest of the week and probably be done with it. Maybe come back to it every now and then to keep his momentum up, or is it a one time deal?

Thanks Robert

1 - 20 of 30 Posts