RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm quite sure this has been discussed in other threads, so forgive me in advance for bringing it up again, but there may be new philosophies or opinions or practices out there that I'm not aware of.

My Sadie will be 8 years old next month (that's really hard for me to believe!). Technically, I guess that makes her a "senior," right? She's about 83 lbs., active (although not as much so as a year or two ago) and healthy. The vet is happy with her overall condition and health. I feed her Euk Weight Control (Large Breed) at 2 cups in the a.m. and 2 cups in the p.m. (I've always fed some variation of quantity twice a day, given whether it's hunting season or off-season), and during hunting season I feed her Euk 30/20. My question is when (or if) any of you switch over to a "senior" formula at some predictable age. I know every dog is different, and activity levels vary widely, but what is the current feeling out there? I just don't think I'm ready yet to believe that it's time for her to be forced to slow down, or for me to view her as a "senior," especially when she had such a demanding and successful hunting season this winter. My thought is that I should be watching her and assessing her capabilities instead of trying to put her in some predefined category...but maybe I'm not being realistic.

That being said, I also don't want her to be getting the wrong nutrition for her age by feeding her the wrong food. She gets a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement with each feeding (I buy it from the vet) along with her ever-present Benadryls for her allergies. Ask the vet, you say? I have and I get the predictable response: she's a senior and should probably be on a senior food, but she's also a working dog, and that can change things, and blah blah blah.

Maybe she should get a "senior" food when I'm old enough to start having to eat "soft foods!" :)

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I have never put a dog on a "senior" food. I either feed a smaller quanity of performance, or for the ones that get plump easily, I switch to adult. My current 14-yr old gets a mix of performance and adult (just adult didn't seem to maintain her condition). My 9-yr old female gets 2 cups of adult per day (she gets plump easily). My 9-yr old male gets performance, just not as much as he got when he was more active.

Meredith

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I have never put any of my old dogs on Senior. Also I cannot put my crack head dog on Performance either, She just stays on Maint- 1 1/2 cups morning and same at night.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never put any of my old dogs on Senior. Also I cannot put my crack head dog on Performance either, She just stays on Maint- 1 1/2 cups morning and same at night.
I've seriously been considering cutting my Sadie back to 1-1/2 cups in the morning (at least...maybe 1-1/2 at both feedings). She really ought to take off 5 to 7 pounds with summer coming on. 'Course, I really ought to take off about 15 myself, but that's another story! ;)

So far, I'm not seeing any reason to go to the "senior" formula. It'll be interesting to see what others have to say, no? During hunting season, though, Sadie burns through calories so fast and hard that she does great on the 30/20 especially hunting waterfowl in that Montana cold, snow and ice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts