RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Try to accomplish two things at once.

1. Introduced the whistle early on, now reintroducing whistle. Its becomming more familiar to him in just a couple of short sessions. But I have run some minor issues I need to tweak out. Remote sit, calling back in, when I tell him sit he will begin bracing for the pressure, lower his butt down but not 100% commit. Apply pressure and he fights thru that until I meet him half way then he drops his butt and stops. How do I stop him 100%, 100% of the time.

2. Does FTP begin at heel or out in front. The dogs I have gone into FF with were extremely steady first. So having them out front and using the "fetch back" then dropping the "fetch" and keeping the "back" with the hand signal was a breeze. This pup has a ton of retrieving desire and go, so much that it takes quite a bit to reel him back in and he is only steady (75% maybe less) (sit only means sit if I can beat you to the pile and no amount of pressure from the collar will detour or stop him) and if he is some what steady that is only at heel when he knows I have the control.

I tried to line him up in front, use a bumper to identify the pile, as soon as it is released from my hand he spins and its off to the races. Dog is on lead and does everything he can to get to the pile, becomes "wild" like trying to get to it. So in order to keep from pulling my hair out by the hand fulls I put him back in the crate, backing up and regrouping and going at it again later this morning.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Try to accomplish two things at once.

1. Introduced the whistle early on, now reintroducing whistle....How do I stop him 100%, 100% of the time.
To be direct, you won't. Dogs are not "100%" at anything, especially trained skills. Most of what you want him to do is your idea, not his. The optimal degree of reliability in each dog is what you're willing to live with, and that often results in knowing your dog. Whether or not remote sits are a part of your FTP progression depends on the program you're following.
2. Does FTP begin at heel or out in front?
Again, this depends on what program you're following. In mine, it begins from your side, and merely includes forcing from a front sit as a component of progression.

Evan

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
if you cannot do your pile work because your pup
is flopping around like a Steelhead on a fly rod,
well...........
stop the pile work and clean up your fish!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts