RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my name is mark.
I have so much to learn. I am in the process of getting my first lab, a started 9 month old black lab. I am trying to understand what all this stuff is like ff, cc, t pile, etc.
I feel I am bothering the breeder/trainer with dumb questions.
I got on YouTube and now I understand a lot more of what is being told to me.
The pup has great parents, so I have no doubts he'll turn out fine.
My wife and I want a new family member, and I a hunting partner.
I am losing interest in big game hunting, due to not drawing tags here in New Mexico. Last year I got back into duck hunting real bad. I loved it.
Now its time to get a dog.
We both work, so a pup will not work for us, so a started older dog just may be the ticket.
I have so much to learn to bring the guy up to full potential.
So with this in mind, bare with me, if I ask dumb questions in the future if I need help.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Welcome to RTF you will come to find that search option on the toolbar to be handy

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Yay!!!! New Meat! Just kidding Quack. My husband are here in NM as well, and are ALWAYS looking for places and people to train with. So any help I can offer will always be available. My husband is just discovering the duck hunting opportunities here and I am mainly into the training. So give us a shout some time when your pup gets home and you want to work him some!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Welcome to RTF! Sounds like you made a good choice to go with a started dog instead of a pup...based on your post, that would be a well thought out decision. Do you have the dog yet, or are you still looking?

Don't be afraid to ask questions, and as WhackndStack6 suggested, the search function is our friend....

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
If your breeder/trainer lives anywhere near you, they should be willing and able to train you along with the dog. No point in getting a trained dog if you don't know how to "drive" it. x 2 on the search feature as well!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He is still about 6 weeks out. He is in ff right now.
He is in Washington, and I'm here. He'll have to be shipped.

I'm in the four corners, so its possible to get down to taos sometime.
We thought about it for awhile. The wife is excited enough, she bought a hunting license this year.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Cool. There are two hunt tests a year at Navajo Lake, not far at all from 4 corners. We are gonna miss the one this spring, but will for sure be there in the fall. Meanwhile, we might go one in Colorado in June. Do call if you would like to get together somewhere for a training day!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Hello, Mark.

We're in NM also. Train occasionally with 2Tall and her husband. Please post back or PM when you get to 10 posts. NM has a wide scattered retriever network, but you are welcome. JDogger

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Welcome and enjoy!! Lots of good info at RTF. Use it wisely!!:)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Welcome to RTF! Get with the training groups (2Tall & JDogger) if you can, that will go a long way in getting off on the right foot with your pup!!

Select a good program and follow it! :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have so much to learn. I am trying to understand what all this stuff is like ff, cc, t pile, etc....The pup has great parents, so I have no doubts he'll turn out fine....My wife and I want a new family member, and I a hunting partner...
Hey Mark!

Welcome!

I may be able to help a bit.

To me, being a newbie isn't terrible. It is kinda fun. There are a lot of things to learn but learning them is fun part. Enjoy the journey. There are many great people here who have been there, done that and have the t-shirt. There are DVDs and books and (like you mentioned) YouTube is a great resource. But the greatest teacher is experience. You've already found good folks here with that experience who are will to pass it on. Awesome!

I'm in the newbie boat with you. I'm not a newbie to critters - just the retrieving kind. What these dogs are capable of doing at the higher levels of HT/FT is amazing isn't it? But, don't let that freak you out. IMHO, your goal of an owner of a solid hunting dog is best accomplished with a calm assertive leader at the helm. No matter the task, a good dog will follow and learn from such a leader. A dog needs that more than anything. And, also IMHO is the key for a dog to reach his full potential. Consistency and patience on your part may be more important than knowing why the order, progression and theory behind the training methods employed by the dog's trainer. He/she will be there for you once the time comes.

It sounds like you've got a plan. Once the trainer is ready to hand over the dog, your job begins and your leadership skills will be called upon. In the meantime, consider tracking down an obedience class and ask if you can observe. Then observe the lessons and trainer carefully. How do his/her actions differ from those taking the class? Notice the difference. Learn from them.

When you meet the folks in your area, watch how they do things and how their dogs interact with them. That bond a handler has with his/her dog is the key. After a training session, consider asking someone to let you handle their dog on one of the drills. It isn't necessarily the commands you give, it is how you give them and the dog's perception of you as the leader.

This is fun stuff! No stress here. Don't worry about the pup living up the expectation set by his great parents. There may be a quirky cousin in his background that he'll take after. Don't put pressure on yourself to impress others in your training group. Don't put pressure on yourself to bring the dog up to his full potential. The best piece of advice that I can give is to prepare the best you can and enjoy your success and the friends made along the way. It is great to have goals. But stressing about goals instead of enjoying the journey can turn a passion into a job.

You may find that when you're in the marsh and the the two of you work as a team, that bond you'll feel will make you wonder how anyone can hunt without a dog. Enjoy every second of it.

Oh yeah, one more lil' bit of insight...

There is a lil' problem with being a newbie on RTF. It happens to some but not to most. You see, if someone answers a training question and the newbie argues with the answer or arragantly proclaims that they already knew the answer given, it won't turn out well. Try your best to respect the answers given by those here with experience who take the time to respond.

There are great people here as you have already discovered. Welcome!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Welcome to the club! It's a beautiful thing when you see a dog you've raised, trained and love make a nice retrieve and deliver to you, as enjoyable and memorable as many of the firsts with kids. What training format is the seller using? If it a "program" with DVD's I'd get it now so you can watch and review it tons before you get him. If not, ask him if he can recommend one that is similar. Sounds like you've made some good contacts here already, lets see some pics when you get him

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi everyone, my name is mark.
I have so much to learn. I am in the process of getting my first lab, a started 9 month old black lab. I am trying to understand what all this stuff is like ff, cc, t pile, etc.
I feel I am bothering the breeder/trainer with dumb questions.I got on YouTube and now I understand a lot more of what is being told to me.
The pup has great parents, so I have no doubts he'll turn out fine.
My wife and I want a new family member, and I a hunting partner.
I am losing interest in big game hunting, due to not drawing tags here in New Mexico. Last year I got back into duck hunting real bad. I loved it.
Now its time to get a dog.
We both work, so a pup will not work for us, so a started older dog just may be the ticket.
So with this in mind, bare with me, if I ask dumb questions in the future if I need help.
That should not be the case at all. In fact, I would argue any good, reputable breeder should be concerned with you as a potential client if you did not ask a lot of questions. Having said that, I too am new to these wonderful games.

What say you more knowledgeable folks...?

JW

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome from one newbie to another.
I know you will learn a lot from the people here I have already.
And if you have your wife hunting with you it makes it that much more fun.
Also working with your pup in the offseason will make you both that much better in the fall Good luck and have fun Jeff from Minnesota

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
Hey Mark!

Welcome!

I may be able to help a bit.

To me, being a newbie isn't terrible. It is kinda fun. There are a lot of things to learn but learning them is fun part. Enjoy the journey. There are many great people here who have been there, done that and have the t-shirt. There are DVDs and books and (like you mentioned) YouTube is a great resource. But the greatest teacher is experience. You've already found good folks here with that experience who are will to pass it on. Awesome!

I'm in the newbie boat with you. I'm not a newbie to critters - just the retrieving kind. What these dogs are capable of doing at the higher levels of HT/FT is amazing isn't it? But, don't let that freak you out. IMHO, your goal of an owner of a solid hunting dog is best accomplished with a calm assertive leader at the helm. No matter the task, a good dog will follow and learn from such a leader. A dog needs that more than anything. And, also IMHO is the key for a dog to reach his full potential. Consistency and patience on your part may be more important than knowing why the order, progression and theory behind the training methods employed by the dog's trainer. He/she will be there for you once the time comes.

It sounds like you've got a plan. Once the trainer is ready to hand over the dog, your job begins and your leadership skills will be called upon. In the meantime, consider tracking down an obedience class and ask if you can observe. Then observe the lessons and trainer carefully. How do his/her actions differ from those taking the class? Notice the difference. Learn from them.

When you meet the folks in your area, watch how they do things and how their dogs interact with them. That bond a handler has with his/her dog is the key. After a training session, consider asking someone to let you handle their dog on one of the drills. It isn't necessarily the commands you give, it is how you give them and the dog's perception of you as the leader.

This is fun stuff! No stress here. Don't worry about the pup living up the expectation set by his great parents. There may be a quirky cousin in his background that he'll take after. Don't put pressure on yourself to impress others in your training group. Don't put pressure on yourself to bring the dog up to his full potential. The best piece of advice that I can give is to prepare the best you can and enjoy your success and the friends made along the way. It is great to have goals. But stressing about goals instead of enjoying the journey can turn a passion into a job.

You may find that when you're in the marsh and the the two of you work as a team, that bond you'll feel will make you wonder how anyone can hunt without a dog. Enjoy every second of it.

Oh yeah, one more lil' bit of insight...

There is a lil' problem with being a newbie on RTF. It happens to some but not to most. You see, if someone answers a training question and the newbie argues with the answer or arragantly proclaims that they already knew the answer given, it won't turn out well. Try your best to respect the answers given by those here with experience who take the time to respond.

There are great people here as you have already discovered. Welcome!
I asked some pretty dumb questions early on.

I got great answers, even though there were not what I wanted to hear!
They were correct.

Some of the best retriever people in the world post here.

Sift through the info and use the stuff that applies and works.

In the words of Bob Dylan, "keep on keepin' on....."

Oh, and;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fphDnT36W4w

Good luck, you CAN do it!!

stan b

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the welcome and kind words.
I live in Aztec, so navajo dam isn't but a 20 minute drive and ill go check out the ft the end of the month.
Getting with others to train sounds great. We are not interested in doing any of the ft things. We just want a well mannered, behaved, buddy, who will accompany us on hunts.

But,
In order to get this, more than the basics in training, needs to be done.
I hunt moving water, so more training is needed for him to understand the duck isn't where it fell. We have a plan to get him used to it.
Anyways back to work, as I can only post right now on my phone til I figure out the 10 charicter thing on my home computer.

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
Didn't Joe Dirt say that?? as well as "Life's a garden, dig it."
I believe it was originally penned by Bob Dylan in a song titled "Tangled Up in Blue."

Can I get a witness??:cool:

RK

1 - 20 of 32 Posts