RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 15 week old blm and would like a little input from you rtfers. He is on purina puppy chow right now and he loved it at first. Now he's not eating as much and his stool is kind of soft. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
409 Posts
There are many excellent adults foods that will work just as well as puppy foods. Many don't use puppy food at all.
I like to use CANIDAE All Life Stage 4 meat meal proteins and NO wheat, corn, by-products. or glutens.

Grows pups slowly and helps prevent any bone growth issues that can occure with high protein/fat puppy or performance foods. This food comes in 44# bags for about $44 in the USA.

http://www.canidae.com

·
Registered
893 Posts
Mine has been on Purina Pro Plan Performance since the day he came home.....

·
Registered
484 Posts
I will throw a plug for Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy. Had 9 pups on it over the last 10 years always had good results.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The diamond all natural puppy food is pretty good put two pups on them after they were having loose stools while eating other puppy chow and they seemed to do just fine

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
There are a few good ones in my limited experience. My last pup had soft stools a lot despite very high quality foods. A good thing about Eukanuba is the ingredient DHA which studies have shown sharply increase brain function. The studies involved puppies teaching themselves to push a button with their nose to open a door to maze, then solving the maze to get food. The DHA pups were far and above more successful than the non-dha pups. All pups were from same litter.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My DD had nothing but Eukanuba performance from the time he showed up 8 years ago. But recently, he had been having ear problems. The vet said they there were due to food allergies.

When new pup showed up a few weeks back, it was used to Nature's variety Prairie food. So, we switched up. New pup got Prairie puppy food. Existing critter got the Prairie adult food.

Pup is doing very well. The DD's ear problems are now a thing of the past. No more Eukanuba for him!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Another Euk. Lg Breed puppy Fan here.... raise all my litters on it and all my pups that live here eat that too.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Purina Pro Plan Performance-have had no problems with this food.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Have used Purina Large Breed Puppy since they came out with it. Have had NO problems with it. If stool gets soft and is not from over feeding then we take a stool sample to the vet to check. Cover around 15 or more litters. Good luck, Bill

·
Registered
927 Posts
My DD had nothing but Eukanuba performance from the time he showed up 8 years ago. But recently, he had been having ear problems. The vet said they there were due to food allergies.

When new pup showed up a few weeks back, it was used to Nature's variety Prairie food. So, we switched up. New pup got Prairie puppy food. Existing critter got the Prairie adult food.

Pup is doing very well. The DD's ear problems are now a thing of the past. No more Eukanuba for him!
Interesting......my DD pup is on Eukanuba Large Breed at the breeders suggestion. I am sure all dogs are different but I'll keep it in mind. Duckdon

·
Registered
680 Posts
There are a few good ones in my limited experience. My last pup had soft stools a lot despite very high quality foods. A good thing about Eukanuba is the ingredient DHA which studies have shown sharply increase brain function. The studies involved puppies teaching themselves to push a button with their nose to open a door to maze, then solving the maze to get food. The DHA pups were far and above more successful than the non-dha pups. All pups were from same litter.

Jennifer,

If you want a puppy food with lots of DHA (and EPA, both are omega 3 fatty acids) look at Orijen's large breed puppy food. It has 5 to 10 times more DHA than most puppy foods and it's from REAL FOOD, not added as a supplement. I fed this to my last litter and was pleased with the results.

I took the pup I kept out of that litter in for her Penn Hip exam last week; that's where I'll get my final results from the feeding experiment. The stuffs not cheap, but I think it's top notch!

Swack

·
Registered
173 Posts
I will throw a plug for Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy. Had 9 pups on it over the last 10 years always had good results.
Got a 14 week BLM on EUkanuba Large Breed Puppy and have zero issues and he eats like he hasnt been fed before. I plan on staying with it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't mean to be a source of contention, but I fed my last lab Eukanuba Lamb and Rice for almost 12 years. We are in the process of getting a new lab this spring/early summer. The trainer/breeder that we talked to said Eukanuba used to be a GREAT dog food, but after it was purchased by Proctor and Gamble, the quality has gone down. I'm not saying he's correct, I'm just repeating what he said. He recommends RedPaw and Fromms, among others.

BPVigs

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tried Eukanuba puppy food with my little girl and she didnt do well on it. She had really bad dandruff and soft stool. after that bag was gone we switched her to Blue Buffalo Puppy food and she has done much better. No more soft stools and her coat and skin are a lot better. Its considerably pricier but I can tell a difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts