RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do y'all recommend? We need nontoxic.

The loads we have been using are ruining the ducks.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Don't know how it translates to non-toxic but lead 7 1/2 or 8 shot with an open choke works for me without damaging the birds.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I think pretty much anything will work. We've had a problem if the ducks are shot too close, even light loads damage ducks that are close.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Steel is required here for pen raised mallards. #7's work great and is the load used for most trials.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Got anybody with a reloader that can make you a couple of boxes of Bismuth shotshells....or start shooting them with a 20gauge

·
Registered
621 Posts
I say anything that knocks 'em down after ya' let me ride awhile.

Right and Ed and Robbie??

·
Registered
877 Posts
Winchester makes a #7 steel target load and reasonable on price.

i believe I saw them the last time I was at Cabelas

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Try to find 1ounce loads of #7.5 steel and shoot real open chokes,skeet or cylinder. Also try to let them ride out a bit and not pummel them as soon as they come out of the winger. When I shoot flyers we usually alternate who will be the main gun and the other gunner will be a back up. If they want more than one shot at the bird have the other gunner or the main gunner just shoot in the air if you klill it with one shot. A duck hand thrown or thrown out of a winger doesn't need to be shot 3 or 4 times at 10 or 15 yards. Light loads and open chokes regards, Jim

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I prefer 6's an an IC choke. We have used the Winchester Expert Steel # 7s a few times at our trials and seem to have had more cripples than when we use 6's. 7's seem to work ok if you get on them quick, but letting them ride out is more exciting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you were reloading, I would say #7 bismuth would be pretty much perfect, but with steel I would say #6 as well. Especailly if you are letting them carry a bit.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Winchester Xpert Game/Target Steel Shot
12 Gauge, 2 3/4 Inches, 1325 FPS, 1 Oz., Available in #6 shot or #7 shot
I bought a flat at Gander Mountain for $72
That's a good load, especially the #7 shot. I shoot a Browning 525 with a skeet choke first and an IC second as a back-up at flyers at both HT's and FT's.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for the responses! I bought some of the steel Winchester #7 loads, fingers crossed that they help.

Most of the shotguns around here are old doubles with tighter, fixed chokes...darn maybe we need to buy a new shotgun!

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Murphy's Law: We gave away our reloader a couple weeks ago...bismuth shotshells (what ever those are :oops:) are no longer possible!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I think you would be best served by starting with new guns. Old guns like you have most certainly will have at the very least modified chokes but more likely to have full chokes. I don't care what shot you are shooting, coming out of those chokes at Flyer distances you will tear them up for the most part.
I agree with a few of the other posters, go to improved or skeet chokes and smaller shot sizes, 71/2 or 8's. GOOD LUCK!!

Thank you for the responses! I bought some of the steel Winchester #7 loads, fingers crossed that they help.

Most of the shotguns around here are old doubles with tighter, fixed chokes...darn maybe we need to buy a new shotgun!

·
Registered
67 Posts
See, you wouldn't have that problem if you just use dead ducks. Sorry, couldn't resist. And for the record, I like and run both AKC and HRC.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
8 shot lead with a 12ga was consider alligator loads by some. Steel….Good luck…Bismuth…Expensive. Turkey loads could be an option, but still expensive. Over all…How deep is your pockets. JMO

1 - 20 of 27 Posts