Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Traler?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What in your opinion is the best way to transport dogs--crate, in bed box, topper, trailer, or chassis mount box. What are the advantages and drawbacks of each?

Dan

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
Crate

The advantage of a crate for me is that I only have one dog.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
It depends!

Knew I was gonna get to use that some time today.

I have 2-going-on-3 dogs, which I can transport quite easily in my old beater with cap. Secure three crates in the truck, and I'm good to go.

If you think you are only going to ever have, at MOST 3 dogs, then less is more. Especially as, I predict, gasoline will top $3 per gallon this year, maybe even before summer gets well underway. For a small handful of dogs, a big truck and chasis mount is just overkill. A smaller truck with a 2 or 3 dog box in the bed will work fine.

Lisa

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Buy the most expensive thing you can afford. If you can afford an Ainly 8 hole chassis rig, with water, fans, and lotsa storage - go for it. That beats the hell out of a vari-kennel.

Shayne

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I absolutely love my dog box....and it looks good on the back of my truck! I can also lock the doors, I couldn't with the plastic airline kennels....Flash will actually not give me a rash of crap to get into his kennel now, but he use to try and pull the sad brown eyes so he can ride in the cab....

Lainee, Flash and Bullet

·
Registered
87 Posts
6 Hole stainless steel topper from CPH...all the bells and whistles that a dog could need...keeps them cool in the summer and warm in the winter...dogs are locked and secured when on the road...once the dogs are in the box worries are gone...safe and secure!!!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
It depends! [(c) LVL]

When traveling with one or two dogs, in a crate in the back of the Explorer. Saves me gas.

When traveling with the whole crew, in the dog topper.

Toppers are generally less expensive that chassis mounts, give you lots of storage, but unless you are careful can be harder on the dog getitng in and out of their boxes.

Chassis mounts are more customizable.

Toppers are easier to sell and upgrade.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Transport

OK, where are the trailer people? Advantages and disadvantages. I heard a pro say once that the reason he pulled a trailer was that dowgs jumping from the uper holes on the chassis mounts were exposed to possible injury because of the height. Comments?

Dan

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Re: Transport

captaindan said:
OK, where are the trailer people?
We don't like trailers because we want the dogs in the same vehicle as us, afforded the same or similar safety.

(There that should draw them out for you! :wink:)

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I have a Jeep cherokee and can fit 3 crates in it. So as long as I stay with the 3 labs, I'm ok. (The 2 pet dogs never go anywhere!)

My training partner has a trailer and the main draw back with that is manuverability in tight places at a test. We went to a test one time and it was really tight going - anytime I was driving and we needed to back up to turn around we had to switch places. I can't back up a trailer that well :oops: - especially when I know somebody is waiting to get by. She didn't want to do any of the highway driving(test was spread out all over the place!) so we'd switch again- it was like a Chinese firedrill!

Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts