RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning to you all!
I need your advise on a issue I am considering.
I have a lab pup of almost 16 weeks. It was out with the breeders for almost two months as for a medical problem we had in our family here at home(I know that having the pup not at our own home in this first weeks is far from ideal but it was very necessary)When we had him here the first week the little fellow wanted allot of attention of our other mature lab like wanting to sleep at his side when possible.At the breeders he is kept together with two other pups of the same age.
When the dog returns I will keep my two dogs separated as I want the pup to bond with me and am afraid that because he waswith other pups for quite a while will not bond with me as easily as he will with my other dog.
My question for you is: Will it also be better that I separate them for the night sleep as well or will it not be so damaging as I think it is.(the dogs are kept in house and sleep in dogcrate with evt open doors)
A long story but I thought it would be better to know something about the background.
With kind regards,
Mike

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Hey Mike,

I would keep the puppy seperated as much as possible. I would let some social time with the other dogs, but by and large it would be with me. At night the pup would be crated in it's own crate. Probably in my bedroom for awhile in case he needs to be let out or is restless.

Angie

·
Registered
500 Posts
She's a cutie Keith.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Keith - The necklace is very cute! Is that the Mrs. S holding Pearl?

Andy

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I think dogs should start sleeping in the bed at 10 weeks. They stay there until it's time to go off to training... then you hope they wash out so they can come back home and sleep in the bed again.

Shayne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts