RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend who isn't cleared to post (yet), wants to build his own bird carrier. He plans to carry 1/2 dozen ducks or pigeons or pheasants at a time. If anyone has instructions/photos, it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I've been thinking of taking one of the larger live catch traps and converting it. Would just have to make up some wire or sheet metal ends and maybe leave one loose for a door. But I've not seen any that have been home built before.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
I mostly use the medium crate I got my puppy in (I've put as many as 15 pigeons in it for a few hours with no problem). A friend of mine built one, but mostly ends up using a small pet crate.

You can also get used, plastic bird transportation crates at a good price. If you're in Southern CA, I know where you can get a quality used crate for $25 right now, with 10 available, I think. If you look around, and maybe contact some clubs, you might be able to find a plastic one for less than the cost of the materials to make one, and it will be lighter, easier to clean, etc.

You can get a used pet crate on craigslist for cheap (I just did a search on craigslist, and found a couple small pet kennels for $10 in my area).

·
Registered
612 Posts
I thought about building bird carriers, but you can buy much nicer ones than you can build. And by nicer I mean lighter and easier to clean. I also found that if you factor your time into the project a nice bird/poultry carrier is actually cheaper.

I can provide links if your interested.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I recently bought a custom bird box from Ainley, I really like it. They will make whatever you want.

The one I have has two feeders (one for water, one for food), a mesh floor that allows waste to pass and a slide out tray beneath the floor for easy cleaning. It is light weight for hauling out into the field, and works ok if I want to keep birds for a few weeks.

Birds are really messy, if you are going to have them awhile the mesh floor is great. The pet carriers suggested above are awful that way. Also pheasants are a nightmare to get out of a pet carrier.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought about building bird carriers, but you can buy much nicer ones than you can build. And by nicer I mean lighter and easier to clean. I also found that if you factor your time into the project a nice bird/poultry carrier is actually cheaper.

I can provide links if your interested.
Yes, please provide links. The carrier would be used by my friend for taking birds to the field and not for keeping them for any length of time. Thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts