RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do i need to have a dog that is absolutely crazy about birds before ff begins? She is only 5 months so we have a little bit but just wondering if this creates better results post ff. I would assume so but just curious. We have done the pigeon thing a few times and definitely likes them. I was thinking about live clipped winged pigeons around 6 1/2 months before beginning ff to hopefully get her to a high on birds and then get right into ff and leave the birds alone for a few weeks.

she is crazy about bumpers and retrieving all together. just wondering opinions on what point your dogs were before ff and the later results after ff is complete.

·
Registered
234 Posts
No, they do not have to be crazy for birds before ff. But I would have introduced her to birds before this point. I would take a pigeon and see what she does, but if she is crazy about bumpers, it's almost guaranteed she will be crazy about birds. It really doesn't have that much to do with ff. FF will just give a you a "tool" for her to execute and you to enforce a properly trained retrieve.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay I'm going to look into getting some live pigeons, and keeping them alive for the dog to chase after. I'm sure that will get her jacked up

1 - 3 of 3 Posts