RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a seven year old lab, that has MHR and MUH titles in the NAHRA program. Lately she has been mouthing birds and setting them on the ground before delivery. She did this and mouthed the birds during the land series during a NAHRA senior test yesterday. The water series, she got to the bank and stood mouthed the birds at the water's edge. One retrieve she came out of the water and turned and went back in the water before finally delivering the duck. Obviously, she was dropped.

She has been force fetched and when I have the e-collar on her she delivers just fine. She knows when the collar isn't on. I have revisited force fetch.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
A test wise dog is a terrible beast. Sadly, I have made a couple over the years. At 7 years old you may have to simply stop testing this dog. Or take a long break. As the dog knows when you can and cannot correct. I was fortunate to have other dogs to run so my test wise ones could sit on the truck. After a long break of tests they wanted to work. But any infractions, back to the truck. Thank you judges. You will have to eat some entry fees but it's your only option under judgement. So sorry. Been there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A test wise dog is a terrible beast. Sadly, I have made a couple over the years. At 7 years old you may have to simply stop testing this dog. Or take a long break. As the dog knows when you can and cannot correct. I was fortunate to have other dogs to run so my test wise ones could sit on the truck. After a long break of tests they wanted to work. But any infractions, back to the truck. Thank you judges. You will have to eat some entry fees but it's your only option under judgement. So sorry. Been there.
Thanks Ken, I appreciate your honest, straight forward answer. It is disappointing.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
I have a seven year old lab, that has MHR and MUH titles in the NAHRA program. Lately she has been mouthing birds and setting them on the ground before delivery. She did this and mouthed the birds during the land series during a NAHRA senior test yesterday. The water series, she got to the bank and stood mouthed the birds at the water's edge. One retrieve she came out of the water and turned and went back in the water before finally delivering the duck. Obviously, she was dropped.

She has been force fetched and when I have the e-collar on her she delivers just fine. She knows when the collar isn't on. I have revisited force fetch.
Perhaps encouraging/enforcing a speedy return will redirect her attention, that returning to your side is of paramount importance.

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
I do not know Mark. I was not at the event he crashed and burned at. But I'm willing to wager hard currency that he was doing all he could to encourage the dog to come back with the duck. Just guessing 🙄

·
Registered
73 Posts
I ran a test with a dog that was ready but on the last bird he started praning and refused to come when called i had the test pasted but picked him up. another handler had a dog that refused to come in and played with the bird which more than likely caused a lot of problems moving forward in there training. take a step back and work on returns without a collar on it's difficult but hopefully it works out

·
Registered
8 Posts

FWIW, I would check for sources of oral pain. Take her to the vet; consider dental x-rays. I look for medical causes before blaming behavior, although it could certainly be that. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
"She has been force fetched and when I have the e-collar on her she delivers just fine. She knows when the collar isn't on."

What's being suggested is a tooth does not hurt when the dog is wearing an e-collar. :geek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts