RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In conversation with the AKC Delegate, who is a member of AKC's Hunt Test Committee, for the American Water Spaniel Club (AKC Parent Club), I was informed that the AKC is now allowing bitches in heat to run in the Pointing Breed's hunt tests/field trials. The individual clubs will have the descretion to allow this or not and the bitches in heat will be required to run at the end of the test.
I know that this decision does not affect the Retriever or Spaniel hunt tests at the moment, but I feel that it sets a dangerous precident for the future. I don't even want a bitch in heat on the grounds where I'm running, regardless if she is running last or not. What do you think?

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I agree 100%, but I would bet there are several bitches in heat (on the grounds) at every HT you go to.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree 100%, but I would bet there are several bitches in heat (on the grounds) at every HT you go to.
Tom,
You're right.......but, I don't want it to be legal.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I too would prefer that they not be on the grounds. However the reality is that there is a good chance that you are going to have one there at HTs & FT's as well as in many hunting scenarios.
That is why it is a good idea to enure your dogs to their presence. For this reason in training it is always my preference that bitches in heat run FIRST, and that they air wherever they want to

·
Registered
577 Posts
Chapter 1, Section 5. Bitches in Season.​
Allowing bitches in season to enter isup to the discretion of the host club. The premium must specify whether or notbitches in season are eligible to enter. (If not allowed, the premium shall state“Bitches in season are not eligible to enter.”) If allowed by the club, they are onlyeligible to enter the last test of the day on a given course and the premium shallspecify these test levels. They shall run immediately after all other entries in thetest. Males shall not be run until the following day on the course or any part of thecourse where bitches in season have been run. A female that comes into seasonafter the drawing who is entered in a test level where females in season areallowed shall be moved down to run at the end of the day with another female. Ifthe last brace is an incomplete brace with a female, the female in season movesdown to this brace. If the last brace is complete or is incomplete with a male, theevent committee has a number of options for finding a female to run with thefemale in season. It is the responsibility of the event committee to decide whichoption to use. Their decision should be guided by being the least disruptive to theoverall event.- If the original bracemate of the female in season is a female, the entire bracecan be moved to the end of the test.- The event committee can select a suitable volunteer female bracemate thatthey know is qualified to run at this testing level.- If the original bracemate of the female in season is a male, the club can “break”the last brace of the test in which a female is entered in order to find a female torun with the female in season. The original male bracemate for the female inseason shall be moved down to run in the next incomplete brace.Entry fees paid for a bitch withdrawn because of coming in season when notallowed to enter shall be refunded in full by the test-giving club. (Prior to refundingentry fees, a club may require appropriate veterinary certification.)

·
Registered
614 Posts
I wouldn't want any bitches in heat running before I ran my dog. However I am sure that many of us have ran either HT of FT and there was a bitch in heat on the grounds. I know of handlers who have had bitches not pass the "bitch test" at a HT and they simply took her back to the truck and ran their other dogs.

Lonster

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
We let the girls run in training all the time. As I see it, as long as they don't do thier thing on the course it's not much of problem. That being said, I would not want to park next to them.
Keith

·
Registered
261 Posts
Having had two bitches in heat for the FT last weekend the last thing I wanted was to ruin some other competitors day. We had withdrawn but a couple of the fellows ask if they could camp on our property I made sure they knew ahead of time that mine were in season. I tried to keep as far as we could from them. It must have worked because one won the Open and the other won the Amateur.
Bitches in season do not belong at trials or tests. There are just too many things that can go wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts