RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my 15 week old pup is having nipping issues. hes always bit at fingers and we have always replied with a stern no. but its just not going away. we've tried popping his nose and he thinks its a game and snaps back tried pulling up on the collar he'll stop then keep doing it an hour later. tried kenneling him after he snips and that seems to make him more snippy after we let him out later. the wife is getting sick of it and im not far behind. we've also tried replacing his bites with a nylabone. loves it but whenhe gets bor with that its back to fingers. i'd prolly be safe in saying this is the only obedience problem out of him

is this just a puppy thing? make it stop lol! for my fingers sake!

·
Registered
259 Posts
better stop now it now...when he nips fold his lips between his teeth and squeeze his mouth shut until he yelps and say NO,it is an OB problem.mine did the same thing and I had to throttle him several times to get the message across. Just my opinion

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
If he puts his mouth on you say "OUCH" very loud. Believe of not this works. There was a previous post that discussed the background of this. YOu might look it up.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
If pinching his lip into his tooth when he bites does not stop the biting, or doing the OUCH like Wayne suggested, you can always bite him like his momma would have. Bite him on top of his nose and sternly growl at him. It worked for my litter of pirranhas.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
better stop now it now...when he nips fold his lips between his teeth and squeeze his mouth shut until he yelps and say NO,it is an OB problem.mine did the same thing and I had to throttle him several times to get the message across. Just my opinion
This is the way I do it and it works on the persistent biters. Take the upper lips on both sides and curl them under the eye teeth and pinch until HE yelps. Repeat if you have to and harder. Most take only one or two times but more persistent pups may take more corrections. When you see these pups in a litter they can be biting another littermate and the other is screaming and they don't stop so I think the ouch or no is futile. They must feel the correction.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Pinching him to the point of him yelping is key, YOU have to make a VERY big impression. I never have biting issues in pups because I am like a snake ...a very swift pinch and then done. By the way, if I cannot pinch his lip, I will pinch him anywhere , just so long as there is a swift , sharp correction
This is the way I do it and it works on the persistent biters. Take the upper lips on both sides and curl them under the eye teeth and pinch until HE yelps. Repeat if you have to and harder. Most take only one or two times but more persistent pups may take more corrections. When you see these pups in a litter they can be biting another littermate and the other is screaming and they don't stop so I think the ouch or no is futile. They must feel the correction.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
along with yelling ouch, pinching him or whatever, if you are playing with him when he nips I've found that walking away also works. they'll soon associate that if they nip play time is over.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
should of added. i've been doing the lip fold till he yelps since i've brought him home. this was what my original training material suggested. also Wayne i saw that thread when it was posted and went home and tried the OUCH/YELP myself and it aint worked either

guess i'm gonna have to do the biting thing. are we talking using the front 4 teeth or the "canine" teeth? and directly on the nose pad or above it? draw blood?

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
should of added. i've been doing the lip fold till he yelps since i've brought him home. this was what my original training material suggested. also Wayne i saw that thread when it was posted and went home and tried the OUCH/YELP myself and it aint worked either

guess i'm gonna have to do the biting thing. are we talking using the front 4 teeth or the "canine" teeth? and directly on the nose pad or above it? draw blood?
Then you are not doing it hard enough. I hear this all the time. Get it over with-if he is coming back at you you haven't made an impression.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts

Once you have pinched or curled a lip or lifted the dog up by the scruff. ,,,,do NOT re-engage. Most people are compelled to talk,touch or try to play with the pup once they do this. This only starts the play process all over again. Make your point then ignore,,,repeat as many times as necessary. Some pups will find something else to bite. And when you make them stop tearing the wires out of the wall,,, they will re-engage again with you.
Pete

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I agree with all that has been said. Most of the time, it works. But, my latest pup, it did not, and believe me, I know how to pinch....
Pinching seemed to send him into more of a biting frenzy, he would come right back at me..

So, someone who is very wise, told me about a squirt bottle. Fill it up with water, can even add vinegar. Use the stream, not the spray. Blast pup with it..
That stopped my pup right in his tracks. And, I now have a squirt bottle on hand, at all times. Even use it on the older dogs

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i pinch plenty hard. drawn blood once or twice from his jowl.

spray bottle with vinegar...done did.

maybe he's the devil who knows but these all have been tried (except the biting him back which is next up) and he just keeps coming at me (insert come at me bro youtube video lol) i ignore him which makes him think he should just bite more frequently, kicked, pulled scruff, yelped, you name it i've done it. i only came here as a last resort. believe me i've exhausted the search option otherwise i wouldnt have asked.

i've brought my wife to tears from the yelping he's done after some punishments saying that "i'm gonna hurt him for real" i reply "i'm trying to"

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Have you blasted him in the face, bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, with the stream?? Keep doing it, till he backs off?

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
How about you put a leash on him and work on OB? Something different? He is 15 weeks (old enough to know sit). He lunges to bit, you do the lip pinch/spray bottle, snag up the end of the leash and put his butt into a sit. He sits to get in and out of his kennel, in/out of the back door etc....start putting some structure in his life.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
grab him by the back of the neck and pin him to the ground?

grab just his bottom jaw so he can't bite at all?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i'm gonna do the biting thing for a couple days. the vinegar just drives him crazy he gets it in his mouth or nose and takes off around the house like a bolt then rolls around on the carpet trying to get it out.

he'll sit on command from any distance away he has sit really well. i'm in the midst of transforming "come" to "come here" and then eventually "here" i feel more comfortable saying here as its more natural and everyone seems to use it. i originally used "come" though. other than that his OB is fine. till he gets in a biting mood

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have used this method and it works great for every puppy that I have run across with the nipping issue; as soon as your puppy puts his mouth on you grab his lower jaw with your thumb inside his mouth and hold on until he makes it clear to you that he doesn't like that. No pinching, no pain to the dog at all. The instinct when you do this is for your dog to open his mouth wide and try to back up. If you do that everytime he puts his teeth on tender human flesh he will stop doing it within a few days. I teach a puppy class and had to find a way to show people how to solve this problem without inflicting pain and it works evey time.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have to ask the question - are you doing any play wrestling with your pup? Especially with your hands? That will encourage the biting. You top it off by punishing the pup when he bites and now you have a frustrated and mad pup so there is even more biting.

1. Use the lip pinch, it works.
2. If the pup comes right back for more do another lip pinch and then put him in his crate for a little meditation time.

If you are not doing any wrestling then I suspect that your pup has too much free time and is pushing his boundaries. Realize that he is using his teeth to see if he can run the household.

Good Luck

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no wrestling. or rough housing. i have done the jaw grab but i guess i need to be wearing a glove because when i hold his jaw and he swings his head back and forth trying to get it out my hand gets cut/hurt on his teeth

he was getting a little more freetime than i was acceptable with because of my wife. but she now sees that he thinks he runs the house so for last week and a half he's been crated more and more. the tipping point was him thinking he deserves to sleep in our bed because she was letting him sleep with her when she came home from work. one night she was off and we were both home at nigh and he was getting down right ugly barking in his crate begging to be in our bed. and every time i yelled no he thought that means bark louder. she didnt sleep that night so she then agreed not only does he need more crating but also in another room

his schedule now looks a bit like this:
6am wakeup call
6am-7am bathroom, feed, bathroom kennel
8am wife comes home plays and watches tv with him
9am-4pm kennelled while wife sleeps
4pm-5pm wife watches him play around in the house then kennels while she leaves
6pm-8pm i come home bathroom, then train, then feed,then bathroom and then kennel while i cook and eat
8pm-10pm i do a little OB and watch him play with his nylabone or run around the house
10pm-6am sleep in his crate

i dont see that as being out too much but maybe i'm wrong

1 - 20 of 32 Posts