Are you opposed other handlers wearing black clothing at hunt tests

• Opposed

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amiables post about black clothing started me wondering what the general consensus was relative to AKC hunting tests.

K

·
0 Posts
I don't think you posted this to start trouble. I virtually always wear black. We got into this discussion several months ago over at wrc -- the camo issue.

Personally, I think it's a poor decision to wear camo. Why put your dog in a position where he possibly can't see you? The whole point is to test the dog. And if you're going to run a dog on a blind and have him demonstrate his control and casting ability, why risk failure by wearing colors that blend you in to the background and make it hard for him to see you? There are occasions where my black doesn't work -- when we're running from shadows and can't get to the sun. In that case, I'll try to figure out something dark that will still work.

But, as far as I'm concerned, the reason for these tests is to test the dog FIRST and second to simulate hunting while testing the dog.

It's just like training... You can't punish a dog for not doing something when he has no idea what he's supposed to be doing. The same principle applies to handling in camo. Punishing a dog by failing them when they couldn't see you to begin with...

-Kristie

·
Registered
942 Posts
UTJetdog said:
Amiables post about black clothing started me wondering what the general consensus was relative to AKC hunting tests.
I don't like my kids wearing black clothing...but that's a different story.

I often wonder about the handler who wears the short sleeve shirt and the balck gloves...but I often wonder about a lot of things...

Joe S.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right Kristie, not trying to start something more than a civil expression of everyone's postition on the matter.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I agree with Kristie.

I usually wear a black shirt under a camo jacket, and take off the jacket before going to the line. And I'll tell you why --

Generally speaking, my bitch handles impeccably. But I considered the water blind this weekend close and easy enough to not remove the jacket. Sure enough, she took one of my "angle-back" casts as an "over." Knowing my bitch the way I do, I am positive it was the camo that through her.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I like the thought of Black better than the guy who shows up wearing a Khaki colored sporting shirt, looking like he is there for a continental pheasant shoot!

What about at HRC events though? How far will you push the envelope with clothing colors - do any of you wear Black?

K

·
0 Posts
AmiableLabs said:
I agree with Kristie.

I usually wear a black shirt under a camo jacket, and take off the jacket before going to the line. And I'll tell you why --

Generally speaking, my bitch handles impeccably. But I considered the water blind this weekend close and easy enough to not remove the jacket. Sure enough, she took one of my "angle-back" casts as an "over." Knowing my bitch the way I do, I am positive it was the camo that through her.
I ran the master the day before at the same location where Kevin and I ran the senior... I went up, like a dork, in a dark green shirt. We were running from the base of a hill covered in green grass. I had forgotten to wear my black jacket in the rush to get the dogs run. I had a quick handle on a mark and my dog clearly could not make me out. I had to do a hop, skip and jump on the casts and it worked out fine. But it was very clear that even though the dog was relatively close (maybe 50-60 yards), my casting (esp with judges, etc. behind me) wasn't that clear.

-Kristie

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
kristie said:
I ran the master the day before at the same location where Kevin and I ran the senior...
And note, what was our background when handling? The line was at the foot of a hill. Behind the handlers was green grass spotted with shade trees. Perfect for green camo to blend in with.

I should have known better. :roll:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You should be testing dogs in realistic hunting situations. To evaluate hunting retrievers. handlers,birdboys et al should war clothing appropriate forthat hunting situation.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
so what do you do with your mh when you get a blind hunting? or don't you wear camo,ever?-paul,a hunter,ht'er,trialer and judge who wonders where the hunt in akc tests went?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
paul young said:
so what do you do with your mh when you get a blind hunting? or don't you wear camo,ever?
Me? The same thing I do at a hunt test. As long as it is not too cold outside, and the blind is significantly far, I prefer to take off my camo jacket and handle in a black shirt.

BTW, I also wear dark gloves when hunting and handling during hunting. Judges do not allow me to wear any gloves at HTs.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
we morons in new england tend to keep our jackets on.

by the way, i would go to war for you with any judge who says you can't wear those gloves. there is no basis for banning their use. however, if you ONLY put them on for blinds, i would tell you to leave them on for all the birds, every series. one way they're clothing and the other, a TRAINING AID.-paul

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
paul young said:
by the way, i would go to war for you with any judge who says you can't wear those gloves. there is no basis for banning their use. however, if you ONLY put them on for blinds, i would tell you to leave them on for all the birds, every series. one way they're clothing and the other, a TRAINING AID.
You seem to have staked yourself out a position somewhere in the middle. ;)

If I put the gloves on just for blinds, to me that is no different then me taking my camo jacket off to expose a black shirt. It is not a "training aid" it is a "handling aid." Similar to white coats in field trials, although black clothes are within the rules for HTs, unlike white clothes.

My wife called Terri Veach (WayDaGoTV) last night. For those of you who may or may not know, because of MS she has now lost most of the range of motion in her arms, including the ability to raise them up over her head. She can move one arm fairly well. My wife tells me Terri has fashioned herself a paddle and painted it so she can handle her dog in multiple directions with the use of just one arm.

A "painted paddle." "Training aid" or "handling aid?" I think we can all agree -- "handling aid."

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Gotta agree with Kristie. I always wear a black jacket. Though last test I went to even that didn't help with blackberry bushes behind the handler in the background. I kind of like the FT approach where you can use black or white depending on the background. First time I saw it was at the National when it was last out here in Oakdale a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Terri is my Sweetie and I think I can ride in her turbo charged chair when I want to. She told me to quit calling it a "Hemi", I think.

Jerry

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
all the hrc judges i have run under would send you back to the truck for camo. that would be hat,shirt and pants.

amiable,we all know the difference between a sickness/disability and trying to get an advantage. i bet you do,too! :wink:

the rule in akc ht states dark or camo clothing shall be worn. that makes black ok,and when i judge an akc test those are the rules i go by. doesn't mean i have to like it, and i don't.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
I always run in black unless the background is really dark, and besides, black is my color. <WEG>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts