RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6mo lab pup got sick 4 weeks ago and at first my vet thought it was just a infection but after a week and no improvement we went back and was diagnosed. With blastomycosis a fungal infection. He has swollen glands and is starting to have lesions. His left eye is swollen up and looks like he has cataracts. We have been giving eye itraconazole drops and itraconzole 100 mg tab. Is therr anything else that we can do? Are we fighting a loosing battle? Will he be blind? I dont feel my vet is being completely honest?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
depending on where you are, I would take him to the U of I vet hospital. They have quite a bit of experience dealing with blasto.
It's nasty stuff. A few lucky dogs do recover completely, but it's unusual.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My 6mo lab pup got sick 4 weeks ago and at first my vet thought it was just a infection but after a week and no improvement we went back and was diagnosed. With blastomycosis a fungal infection. He has swollen glands and is starting to have lesions. His left eye is swollen up and looks like he has cataracts. We have been giving eye itraconazole drops and itraconzole 100 mg tab. Is therr anything else that we can do? Are we fighting a loosing battle? Will he be blind? I dont feel my vet is being completely honest?
Why do not feel your Vet is completely honest?
Have you Listened and more importantly heard everything your Veterinarian has told you?
How long have you been treating the pup?

Blasto is a serious disease, and can be very devastating. If it is only in one eye, the other eye should remain visual. It may be inflammation in the eye, it may cause permanent damage.

here is a nice over view:
http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/vetmed/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/596603

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Blasto has been discussed here. You may want to do a search and read about others' experiences.

We had a dog get blasto starting in his lungs. He got it over the 4th of July and wasn't properly diagnosed until August. He did recover with Itraconazole and we treated for 6 months. I purchased the Itraconazole through Canadian pharmacies because it was significantly less expensive than U.S. pharmacies, and my vet was happy to help me do that.

·
Registered
952 Posts
One of my AWS's litter mates contracted Blasto in Kentucky two years ago. He wound up losing an eye, but after about 6 months of antibiotics (don't know which ones) he recovered. He is a one eyed, hunting machine today. Good luck with your pup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the encourging words guys. we went back to the vet today and i was able to go instead of just sending the wife. He is more than likley going to loose a eye. his lesions are not getting better, in fact they are getting worse and more of them. he expects a full physical recovery though. he doubled his medicine and has given him some pain meds and they seem to be helping alot this evening. good to see him with some energy again.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
....ask your vet about that eye. If the eye cannot be saved (sightwise) and it is left, that it harbors the fungus and continues to destroy the dog..to be sure. (recently heard of such an experience)

Awful stuff :(

Best wishes for a full recovery for your pup..

Judy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are going to have the eye removed but he wanted to wait until he is doing better before he anethezied him.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Why do not feel your Vet is completely honest?
Have you Listened and more importantly heard everything your Veterinarian has told you?
How long have you been treating the pup?

Blasto is a serious disease, and can be very devastating. If it is only in one eye, the other eye should remain visual. It may be inflammation in the eye, it may cause permanent damage.

here is a nice over view:
http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/vetmed/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/596603
Very informative article. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I have been down this road and it is no fun!!! As an earlier poster mentioned open sores that won't heal and the eyes. My dog had both. The end result was a lost left eye.

The optho gave me a prescription for Sporonox and told me to catch a plane to Mexico.
The pills were roughly 10.00 ea in the states @ Target, 3.25 ea up in Fort Frances, Canada and 1.25 in Mexico. I wired a bunch of money to a friend in San Diego who crossed the border and bought it over there. The exact same packaging from the exact same pharm. company with 3 very huge differences in price. 4 pills a day for 6 months, do the math and as another poster mentioned it is very expensive.

This happened to my dog at the age of 51/2. She survived and went on to hunt very well with the one eye for another 6 years. The Blasto did have a great affect on her lungs, especially in her later years.

GOOD LUCK with your episodes!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Go to the university today !! My flat-coat got Blasto, local vet wanted to amputate a leg and a foot.

Went to the university, vet school. They treated her, she has been fine ever since and nothing got amputated.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I don't think your vet is being dishonest, but he might very well be ill informed. Remember, there are a lot of unknowns with blasto. Much depends on how early it is diagnosed and just how strong your dog is physically.

Itraconazole drops MAY help, but it is an extremely difficult healing process, and the dog may actually lose that eye. If the disease cannot be stopped in the eye, then it will have to be removed. If not, then there is a good recurrence of infection and that infection may well kill the dog. The same goes for testacles so hopefully the disease hasn't progressed that far.

The treatment can be as tough as the disease. Make sure that your pup is eating properly so that his body weight stays up there. Fat content in the food is supposed to be extremely important to the efficacy of the conazoles. It's been awhile since we had to go through this so my knowledge may be a bit off.

This URL which was previously posted is one of the best on the subject. Use it to find conazole blends which will help with the cost immensely. I believe that this is coming out of Arizona? Better than going to the black hole of Mexico if you can avoid it at all. A buddy went this route when his female was diagnosed. She started showing symptoms right after Jake went really sick, so he caught it sooner than we did because of the legwork I put in with my favorite vet Dr. Wendy Swift.

http://blastomycosis.ca/forum/index.php/topic,559.0.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts