RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To all my chums in RTF, you were quite right, we couldn't manage without any working dogs. (y)

For the last couple of years, since "Jack" the last of them departed for the great kennel in the sky, this has been a quiet house, too quiet. Covid has scuppered any chance of prolonged winter breaks in Spain or Portugal which was part of the plan, and socially we've missed the involvement, sheer fun and laughter of shooting days. No whisky Macs in the beaters hut, no Port and Stilton, all very dull. I did help out and commentate on the BASC gun dog scurries, but it's not the same as thinking "I've got one in kennel that could skin and heel this bloody lot". Even the scurries got Covided off.

So a cheque was signed this morning for a pup by FTCh Arkglass Thor out of our friend's very nice working bitch. His semen straws are available in the US from Robin Watson at Tibea... no connection. All health clearances in place, we have first pick of the litter......

1 black dog
1 yellow bitch
5 yellow dogs
3 black bitches ...... it'll probably be the black lad, but you know how puppy picking goes!

"Thor" is closely related to my old dog "Ross" pictured below. I really liked "Ross" he had a wonderful temperament and was very kindly. Handled beautifully at distance and was one of the sagacious ones that knew where to look.

This is "Thor" running in the IGL ... he's just the stamp of dog I like, no rabbit feet, proper double coat, moderate size but well boned. If Pup turns out like him and Ross I'll be well pleased.

Best, Eugene

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
I'd take any of them! Congratulations on your new charge. Be sure to update with some photos!

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Aer kid! - use some of that transfer dosh from Jackie Grealish to the Reds, dinya! So happy for you, Eug. And more, 'cause there it was, slap dab middle of the pedigree, Craighorn Bracken, Thor's great grandpap, same spot on the lineage as for my yearling Spitfire (who's built, especially for a bitch, more like a Lancaster - 60+ lbs. at 6 mos. Came along, act of G*d practically, a couple weeks before her third bout with cancer took my old Shortthorn Tommy of Leadburn gal.)

Utterly chuffed for you, mate - grand's the word, innit? Keep us apprised, and tonnes of puppy pictures fresh off the press from Colmore Circus please!

MG

Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Carnivore Mammal

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
To all my chums in RTF, you were quite right, we couldn't manage without any working dogs. (y)

For the last couple of years, since "Jack" the last of them departed for the great kennel in the sky, this has been a quiet house, too quiet. Covid has scuppered any chance of prolonged winter breaks in Spain or Portugal which was part of the plan, and socially we've missed the involvement, sheer fun and laughter of shooting days. No whisky Macs in the beaters hut, no Port and Stilton, all very dull. I did help and commentate on the BASC gun dog scurries, but it's not the same as thinking "I've got one in kennel that could skin and heel this bloody lot". Even the scurries got Covided off.

So a cheque was signed this morning for a pup by FTCh Arkglass Thor out of our friend's very nice working bitch. His semen straws are available in the US from Robin Watson at Tibea... no connection. All health clearances in place, we have first pick of the litter......

1 black dog
1 yellow bitch
5 yellow dogs
3 black bitches ...... it'll probably be the black lad, but you know how puppy picking goes!

"Thor" is closely related to my old dog "Ross" pictured below. I really liked "Ross" he had a wonderful temperament and was very kindly. Handled. beautifully at distance and was one of the sagacious ones that knew where to look.

This is "Thor" running in the IGL ... he's just the stamp of dog I like, no rabbit feet, proper double coat, moderate size but well boned. If Pup turns out like him and Ross I'll be well pleased.

Best, Eugene
Best of luck with the new pup...which ever it is! Sounds like the makings of a great field dog!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Great looking dogs, I am looking FWD to some puppy pictures.

Sure wish all this craziness would get on past us. Would love to come back across the big pond. To take my wife to Portugal and Spain. Spent 6 weeks working in Lisbon . Truly is the only place I'v gone for work, that I want to go back to.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Not many people know that we had two JGs. 'Tother'un went to Man City wot play in blue.
Wiseacre-ing away as of olde, what-what. Actually, Cousin Carol of Baggies' Court told me to say that - at least I hope she's still extant and could have told me to say that - if so, please report on her annual Throstles' assessment. Personally, I'm seeing a lot of red this morning as gutter installers came onsite without advance word and got the canines' canines bared and their master ready to go all David Sterling on the lot of them.

Still, great news from my old AHDC buddy from Blighty to temper the aggro!

MG

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Mike,

Carole is still pretty unwell, but being a Baggie is a big step on the fortitude learning curve. I'll report back as and when.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
So folks in the UK wear funny looking clothes at field events too? A bit more stylish than ours.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Fantastic! Congrats!

Reactions: Wayne Nutt

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Congratulations on the new pup!

I watched the entire video with interest. Wish I knew more about the rules in a UK field trial. Maybe I can find them online. Looked like some of the retrieves were unproductive. Toward the end, that Lab was a bit sticky with that hare.

I like how you all dress for a field trial. I've toyed with wearing breeks, a tie, etc. at our event. I already have a couple of plaid jackets and a waxed cloth Barbour-style coat I bought in Ireland to complete the ensemble.😂

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Don,

Both dogs were eliminated on that hare.

The first dog missed it, so was called up. The second dog then failed and was also called up. Then the judges went out and found it, pretty easily it seemed to me, Thus both dogs were eliminated from the Trial and take no further part.

I have no explanation as to why they couldn't make anything of it, I'd have been sore disappointed if "Ross" for instance didn't bring it to hand, but then he'd retrieved a lot of ground game in his time, notably in Scotland with me handling. He did a bit in Trials with his then owner / breeder Jeff Boston.

On the sartorial front, here's the deal; if you undertake to wear a tie at a Trial and post a pic in here, I'll send you a nice silk job with suitable sporting motifs that you can do it with. If I need an address other than the one on your training website, let me know.

Eugene

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Don,

Both dogs were eliminated on that hare.

The first dog missed it, so was called up. The second dog then failed and was also called up. Then the judges went out and found it, pretty easily it seemed to me, Thus both dogs were eliminated from the Trial and take no further part.

I have no explanation as to why they couldn't make anything of it, I'd have been sore disappointed if "Ross" for instance didn't bring it to hand, but then he'd retrieved a lot of ground game in his time, notably in Scotland with me handling. He did a bit in Trials with his then owner / breeder Jeff Boston.

On the sartorial front, here's the deal; if you undertake to wear a tie at a Trial and post a pic in here, I'll send you a nice silk job with suitable sporting motifs that you can do it with. If I need an address other than the one on your training website, let me know.

Eugene
Thanks for the explanation, Eugene.
On the clothing issue - now you're tempting me. Although I'm probably done running dogs until Spring. Guess that leaves me plenty of time to order breeks and an appropriate shirt. I'm thinking one with blue checks.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, Eugene.
On the clothing issue - now you're tempting me. Although I'm probably done running dogs until Spring. Guess that leaves me plenty of time to order breeks and an appropriate shirt. I'm thinking one with blue checks.
Sherwin Scott of Lean Mac fame showed up at the cocktail party of a National Amateur attired in breeks and a waistcoat and we all thought Halloween had arrived early

1 - 18 of 18 Posts