RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

My training books are all in storage and, although it is probably common sense, I could use some pointers on getting super dog squared away on taking a line and blind retrieves.

Tebeaux is almost 4 and is a great dog, we just haven't hunted and trained enough to get him solid. I think perhaps time and consistency are what is needed. That and stop letting him hunt doves with my son - if he doesn't see it, he has learned to just hang around the guy with the gun and he will walk up to the general vicinity.

Any good drills and considerations would be appreciated.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
What drills have you done with him?

You need to teach him to GO when sent (right?) Then you can refine how far and how fine a line.

Once you get that down, you get some differences of opinions about how to build lining. Some people do "school blinds" where over a couple of days the dog knows where it is and you can just back the distance longer and longer. Other people say your dog learns to run long on blinds by running long on blinds... they never have a school blind, the just put it out there and help the dog by handling him to it, and eventually the dog learns that blinds are pretty much a straight line in the direction they were initially sent.

But none of the nuances matter if your dog doesn't go when sent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of marks and then not enough, I think, trips to the pile with my hand pointing the way. 5 or 6 in a straight line that he can see. Marks in the tall grass with the line given.

I really feel like I know the answer, lots more drills and consistency. I think the light will come on, just haven't worked with him enough.

Yes, he goes, but not very far and in circles.

R/

Steve

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Read it carefully a few times!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Read it carefully a few times!
Yeah, I feel like I am back at the beginning with super-dog. He is a good boy and loves to hunt, but I just haven't worked a program consistently with him. I need to pick a training syllabus and just stick with it. I think by next season he could be a great hunter. As it is, he is just a great dog.

Steve

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
You'll eventually come across this with the Farmer stuff Gooser posted, but please understand that your hand is not really pointing the way. I know it looks like that is what is going on, but the hand goes down to confirm for the dog that his spine and eyes are pointed in the direction he should go when you send him on "back" or whatever command you use for blinds. It takes a lot of steps to get a dog comfortable moving with you to get his spine properly aligned (he's probably going wherever that is) and just take off in expectation that he will eventually run across something to retrieve. More still to get him used to being handled.

Good luck with your dog.

Lots of marks and then not enough, I think, trips to the pile with my hand pointing the way. 5 or 6 in a straight line that he can see. Marks in the tall grass with the line given.

I really feel like I know the answer, lots more drills and consistency. I think the light will come on, just haven't worked with him enough.

Yes, he goes, but not very far and in circles.

R/

Steve

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Where you at in Colorado? I live in Springs and hunt around Ft. Collins, Greely.

Steve
In Littleton.. 60 yr old Colorado native. born in Greeley,, parents moved to Littleton when i was 3..
train weekly near Ft Collins,, Hunt the river bed from Ft Morgan to the Nebraska line..

There is a good retriever club in the springs! They are pretty active group also.. Contact FOM,,or BBnumber1 on this board for information..

Gooser

·
Registered
37 Posts
Gents,

My training books are all in storage and, although it is probably common sense, I could use some pointers on getting super dog squared away on taking a line and blind retrieves.

Tebeaux is almost 4 and is a great dog, we just haven't hunted and trained enough to get him solid. I think perhaps time and consistency are what is needed. That and stop letting him hunt doves with my son - if he doesn't see it, he has learned to just hang around the guy with the gun and he will walk up to the general vicinity.

Any good drills and considerations would be appreciated.

Regards,

Steve
How did he do on force to pile and Double T (or T)? Pattern blinds? Lining drills? Wagon wheel, lining and casting?

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
How do these really old posts keep popping up?

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Most of my time spent on RTF is spent reading old posts... The enjoyment of RTF is still here if you look for it... I appreciate Uncle Bill the more I read what he had to say..

John Robinson too..

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
How do these really old posts keep popping up?
with the new format, if you scroll down past the lmost recent post, you will roll right into other topics that the site algorithm thinks are a similar topic.

It's easy to roll down into an old discussion and if you're not paying attention, reply thinking it is current.

I did it the first time I came onto the new format. Bumped an old thread and created some confusion and elevated blood pressure for some!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts