RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any drills for getting a dog to line or cast for a blind water retrieve? On land, my 2 yr old lab will take off on a line with a "back" command. But when it comes to water, I have trouble getting him to enter the water unless he sees something to retrieve. Any advice on how I can get him to take a line in the water for blind retrieves??

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
My suggestion hinges on how good your dog's Basics are. But if you are confident in them - especially a strong Swim-by - Tune up drills are excellent. Are you familiar with them?

Evan

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Does anyone have any drills for getting a dog to line or cast for a blind water retrieve? On land, my 2 yr old lab will take off on a line with a "back" command. But when it comes to water, I have trouble getting him to enter the water unless he sees something to retrieve. Any advice on how I can get him to take a line in the water for blind retrieves??
Before we had the programs of today we would have a person on the other shore stand up and place the bumper ( a marked blind as some would call it) then hide ...After several of these the dog came to expect something to retrieve when sent...If the dog had trouble getting all the way there the planter would help the dog out in what ever manner it took ...sometimes a dropped rock or bumper...I'll let Evan take you through the modern way of teaching cold blinds...Steve S

·
Registered
506 Posts
Unless i am missing something, simply forceing the dog into the water on the back command should take care of your problem. i'm assuming of course that he has been forced on land.
i need a nap, just getting your point now Evan!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck
GG

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a photo taken at a Bill Hillman seminar that may apply.

/Users/porkchop/Desktop/IMG_0021.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My suggestion hinges on how good your dog's Basics are. But if you are confident in them - especially a strong Swim-by - Tune up drills are excellent. Are you familiar with them?

Evan
Evan, I am not familiar with the tune-up drills you referenced. Where can I learn more about them?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I would say your dog isnt confident on water....
This is how i start pups off when doing water blinds Just like on land A white marker on the other side with a pile at the base Build confidence then remove the marker

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
First, a basic question...has this dog been through swim by? That is where this issue should have been addressed. If the answer is yes, then you should take Evan's lead and revisit this.

·
Registered
553 Posts

Evan
Sounds as if you may be putting the cart before the horse.
Tune-up drills before a dog will even enter the water? That's a head scratcher to me.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Sounds as if you may be putting the cart before the horse.
Tune-up drills before a dog will even enter the water? That's a head scratcher to me.
Read slower, and more carefully.

Evan
No presumptions. I'm still interested in what training the dog has had. However, lines & casts in water are a principle focus of Tune up drills. I don't know if his dog is ready or not. I only answered his question...with a qualification.

Evan

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Evan, I am not familiar with the tune-up drills you referenced. Where can I learn more about them?
I'll gladly help with that. But I would like to know, as others have asked, has this dog finished Basics? Water force? Swim-by? You'll need all those skills first. Without them drills like Tune ups will be over your dog's head.

Evan

·
Registered
553 Posts
Read slower, and more carefully.No presumptions. I'm still interested in what training the dog has had. However, lines & casts in water are a principle focus of Tune up drills. I don't know if his dog is ready or not. I only answered his question...with a qualification.

Evan
Evan, you crack me up. I read slowly and carefully. You mentioned a drill that is clearly over this dog's head. The OP mentioned he won't even get in the water.
I am not going to turn this into an internet debate. Maybe you can sell him a few DVD's.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Evan, you crack me up. I read slowly and carefully. You mentioned a drill that is clearly over this dog's head. The OP mentioned he won't even get in the water.
I am not going to turn this into an internet debate. Maybe you can sell him a few DVD's.
I have trouble getting him to enter the water unless he sees something to retrieve
meaning, the dog goes into the water

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Swim-by would undoubtedly help at some point. But if the OP says "back" and the dog does not go, does this not possibly go all the way back to FTP?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
not going

Swim-by would undoubtedly help at some point. But if the OP says "back" and the dog does not go, does this not possibly go all the way back to FTP?

This is where we are still waiting for the op to answer Evan's first post......It goes when it can see something to go get....but ...no confidence of the unknown ...White bumpers on the edge that the dog can see and do a tune up drill would probably help with the confidence ....Steve S

·
Registered
311 Posts
I understand completely what Evans saying, if he's done his basics water..meaning swimby, which means the dog went in water before without problem...then it's a good idea to revisited some drills.
That's the piece of info the op haven't provided...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Your posts have in no way helped the guy who's having trouble getting his dog to do water blinds.

Ocean Sea Music artist Performance Photo caption Poster Photography

Attachments

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Your posts have in no way helped the guy who's having trouble getting his dog to do water blinds.
Seems to be the theme of the last few weeks. Typical summer time behavior.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts