RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone care to share experience with blood allergy test for a Lab. I have one that is likely suffering from seasonal allergies. Vet tells me they can draw blood, send it off and boom we know exactly what he is allergic to. My money is on grass but maybe it is some bush in the yard I can cut down. It could be food but I feel that would be too much of a coincidence that he developed a food allergy at the same time we are experiencing one of the worst allergy seasons in recent years.

Thanks for the information.

Jason

Update:

Test came back a few days ago. His allergens are:

fescue
bermuda
ryegrass
bahia
ragweed
lamb's quarters
dock/sheep sorrel
sage
ash tree
willow tree
elm tree
mulberry tree
alternaria fungi
helminthosporium fungi
rhizopus fungi
phoma fungi
venison
soybean
corn
lamb
barley
white potato
green peas
duck
tobacco smoke
cockroach
mosquito

The test gives me a numerical scale. 0-99 = negative and 100 - 5,000 = positive. Each of the allergens listed above were below 159. Nothing really jumped out at us as "the issue". I am now feeding a diet that does not contain any of the food allergens and washing him down good after training combined with benedryl. His face seems to be the hot spot at this time (although much better than a month or so ago). His feet have been an issue in the past but that seems to have passed.

We continue and will see how it goes altering our path as I learn more.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My lab recently had blood allergy tests done. The basic allergy test showed that he definitely had an allergy of some kind.

The outdoor panel came back clear (pollens, grasses, etc).

We went on to do an indoor panel (mites, moulds, etc) and also a food panel. The indoor panel came back showing showing allergic to dust mites, house dust mites, flea saliva, two types of storage mites, and grain mites. The food panel showed delayed reactions (IGg) to duck, beef, chicken, turkey, white fish, corn, and rice.

Now trying trying to elminate mites from the house, and to work out a new food regime - particularly difficult as he also has chronic pancreatitis and needs an extremely low fat diet. The storage mite situation also means that dry dog-food is a "no-no"

Good luck with the tests!

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I did the blood panel and some mild grass and pollen stuff but dust mites were off the scale. He was less than a year old and is now 7. We dealt with the dust mites and that solved all of his problems! By the way dust mites are a much bigger issue in the summer than the winter as they need a certain level of humidity to live.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I had the blood test done. He was allergic to certain plants and grasses. Especially allergic to dust mites. He was his worst in the winter and spring. Not too bad in the summer. Tried everything... not much success.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Vet drew blood today. Results in two weeks or less. For now he is on Benadryl. Here is to hoping he is allergic to something like carrots or bean sprouts But I have a feeling I have just begun dumping money into this issue.

I tried to explain to him that this test just cost him a third winger. He didn't seem to care as he was rubbing all the hair off his face on the carpet.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Anybody use the skin test? A friend of mine has been battling terrible allergies with his dog and the dermatologist suggested a skin test as opposed to the blood test.

Angie

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
My dog Lizzie showed signs of food allergies so we ran the blood test. Came back allergic to mites and mold as well as wheat and fish. We have the serum made and inject 1cc each month subcutaneously. I believe costs runs about $250.00, per year, may be less. Took care of all her problems and she is thriving.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Blood allergy testing is not as sensitive or specific compared to intradermal skin testing. Best money spent is having the intradermal testing and vaccines

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Blood allergy testing is not as sensitive or specific compared to intradermal skin testing. Best money spent is having the intradermal testing and vaccines
My client is finding that out. 4 years later and several tests later and still no relief.. Immunization shots have been given the whole time.

Angie

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I guess that would depend upon whether or not blood testing shows a severe allergy to a certain thing.
My dog was off the scale to dust mites and knowing that solved all of his issues.
I will say that I took the info seriously and did everything to alter his environment that was reccommended for a child with dust mite allergies.
I went to the extreme to allow him stuffed toys which he loves by washing them in extremely hot water and then deep freezing them so he play with them for a day before the routine started again for the toy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I guess that would depend upon whether or not blood testing shows a severe allergy to a certain thing.
My dog was off the scale to dust mites and knowing that solved all of his issues.
I will say that I took the info seriously and did everything to alter his environment that was reccommended for a child with dust mite allergies.
I went to the extreme to allow him stuffed toys which he loves by washing them in extremely hot water and then deep freezing them so he play with them for a day before the routine started again for the toy.

Sure it depends on how severe the reaction is. However, it is very common for anybody with an allergy to be allergic to more than one thing. This is because your immune system is ramped up. All I am pointing out is with all things equal intradermal testing is a better option. More likely to tell you what ALL your dog is allergic to. This is why it is the test performed by dermatologists. With that said I am happy to the blood test helped resolve the allergy in your dog. Definitely a cheaper alternative to intradermal testing.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I did both the blood test and like everyone else's dog who's ever had that done, the Heska test showed she was allergic to dust mites and mold mites. Even dealing with that problem, she was still suffering and every time she'd scratch herself up training, the scratches would turn into big inflamed oozing welts. She scratched all the time and her coat looked horrible so we saw a vet dermatologist and had the skin test done. If I recall, it was the same or less than the Heska test, and it was much more specific in what she reacted to. Vet thought she was a good candidate for desensitization, so we did the series of shots. Knocking on wood, that seemed to fix the problem and she no longer scratches and chews her fur out and her coat has grown in nicely. It was pretty ratty from all the scratching.

·
Registered
182 Posts
jazzypad1 said:
My lab recently had blood allergy tests done. The basic allergy test showed that he definitely had an allergy of some kind.

The outdoor panel came back clear (pollens, grasses, etc).

We went on to do an indoor panel (mites, moulds, etc) and also a food panel. The indoor panel came back showing showing allergic to dust mites, house dust mites, flea saliva, two types of storage mites, and grain mites. The food panel showed delayed reactions (IGg) to duck, beef, chicken, turkey, white fish, corn, and rice.

Now trying trying to elminate mites from the house, and to work out a new food regime - particularly difficult as he also has chronic pancreatitis and needs an extremely low fat diet. The storage mite situation also means that dry dog-food is a "no-no"

Good luck with the tests!
My dog has the same problem. I work as a tech it wasn't difficult to send off the test. You can still feed dry food put about a weeks worth or more if you have a deep freeze in the freezer to store it. It will kill the storage mites do this with any treats if you use them. As far as dust mites if you have carpet forget about you will not get rid of them. I have carpet but my dog is the type if you lay a hand towel on the floor she will lay on it so I bought a couple the kids sleeping mats for school. One in the bedroom and one in the living room the plastic stays cool and she loves them and easy to clean. On top of that I do the once a month allergy shot and we have had no more problems.

Hope this helps, Bryan

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Anybody use the skin test? A friend of mine has been battling terrible allergies with his dog and the dermatologist suggested a skin test as opposed to the blood test.

Angie

I have been threw the skin test and food trial. Vet and Dermotoligist says that blood test is not accurate.
They told me the skin test was best.
I have asked this question a couple times here, about the blood test, but usuallly no response.
Im going to listen to my Vets.
Sorry, as normal, I dont like giving advice, just my experiences.
Thanks, Brad

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Sure it depends on how severe the reaction is. However, it is very common for anybody with an allergy to be allergic to more than one thing. This is because your immune system is ramped up. All I am pointing out is with all things equal intradermal testing is a better option. More likely to tell you what ALL your dog is allergic to. This is why it is the test performed by dermatologists. With that said I am happy to the blood test helped resolve the allergy in your dog. Definitely a cheaper alternative to intradermal testing.
and then again like humans you are never allergic until you are allergic! I know about that one! MY dog seems to have outgrown ( we most likely slowly built up his imunity) his dust mite issue. Still don't let him sleep in the bedroom and still keep the area rug out of the family room but the dog beds are back and he can have stuffed toys all he wants.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Again Im confused as normal.
2 vets tell me that dogs dont out grow allergies???
I have had Allergies all my life and have found ways to treat them, but not cure them.
The vets Ive talked to, said it was different with dogs. They dont out grow them.
Im hoping a DVM will chime in.
Again, no advise, just my experiences.
Thanks, Brad

1 - 20 of 21 Posts