RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have posted on earlier, I am looking to get a puppy this spring. I am also planning on taking about a 20 week trip this summer and will have to board the pup. What is the wisdom on that?

HPL

Reactions: Tobias

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Pup will be going through critical stages then. I certainly wouldn't simply board a pup. There's going to be virtually no stimulation. I'd try to find a professional trainer who does early puppy training.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Wait to get your puppy. You're missing one of the best times of your dog's and your own life. It's a hoot to watch them grow and learn, and it's a key bonding period.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
I agree with Ted.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
IMHO -

if you REALLY want a pup from a particular litter, and that breeding is only going to happen once..... buy the pup, spend as much time as you can with him/her and then find a really good 'head start' trainer for the time in which you will be gone.

Otherwise, I would opt to wait til after the summer to get a pup, that way you can enjoy your puppy's formative months.

For the others who question HPL's motivations ------ Most people love the puppy stage, but some people don't. That is where the market for started/trained dogs comes in to play. Not saying this is the case for HPL, just that it isn't all that uncommon.

·
Registered
538 Posts
A 20 week trip? That is 5 months. I would wait to get the pup until I returned from the trip. Or you might as well get the pup right now and then give it to a pro at 5-6 months old and let the dog get trained on basics while you are gone for 5 months.

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
As I have posted on earlier, I am looking to get a puppy this spring. I am also planning on taking about a 20 week trip this summer and will have to board the pup. What is the wisdom on that?

HPL
Use a good puppy Head Start program which might even be cheaper than regular boarding. The pup will still know you.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts

HPL
Pups at 8-10 weeks old in Spring is the best start (imo) that gives you 3 months to do all the bonding in the world before the Summer. At 20-22 weeks old (5- 5 1/2 months old), the pup is not going to learn much in boarding only for the next 5 months of its life making it nearly 1 year old.
What a great opportunity for the pup to attend Training /boarding (for whatever intention and expectation the pup was originally planned for)
As for 'Wisdom' , some just make choices based on circumstances.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Ahh! so it's 2 weeks ,not 20 weeks boarding in the summer . Why would any wisdom be required. Nice fortnight holiday which everyone looks forward to right now!!

·
Registered
207 Posts

HPL
Do you really mean 20 weeks or maybe mistype and its 2 weeks?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts