RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a very powerful book that I would highly recommend to all "dog people". It is written from the perspective of a dog. A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope - a captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life.....as only a dog could tell it

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Everyone I've talked to who has read this book agrees with you. And I believe this must be the case - however, I could not get past the first 10 pages or so. It starts off with the dog in pain, trapped on the floor not able to get up and lying in his own urine (I think). That was enough for me to put it down. It must pick up at some point, but it's hard for me to purposefully spend time reading about pain. Wish the author had written a different first chapter.

Jennifer

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I liked the book. Putting the bad stuff at the front was better, IMO. I can't finish most dog books since I know what happens at the end. I put them all down about the time the dog starts having trouble getting up stairs, etc.

Another one I would recommend is A Dog's Purpose I read through the first couple of chapters and the dog died and I was shocked. But then in the next chapter he is reincarnated, moving along to his purpose. Although it had lots of sad parts, it was another of the few I could finish.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Jennifer, read it! The beginning only sets the stage for one of the most uplifting, joyful and inspiring pieces of writing I have ever read at the end! To change a thing in the first chapters would defeat the entire point of the book.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
What a great book! Faster, Faster!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I loved it too..... a must read.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Jennifer, read it! The beginning only sets the stage for one of the most uplifting, joyful and inspiring pieces of writing I have ever read at the end! To change a thing in the first chapters would defeat the entire point of the book.
Ok, I'll try again - another complication, was that someone gave me the book shortly after my beloved golden Henry died...

But I'm about to go on vacation with lots of plane and airport time, so I guess I'll take it along and try again.

Thanks,
Jennifer

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I agree with most of you, it is a good book. I enjoyed reading it.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I listened to the book on a long trip. If anybody had looked over they would have wondered why I was crying my eyes out, but it was an excellent audio book!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I'll try again - another complication, was that someone gave me the book shortly after my beloved golden Henry died...

But I'm about to go on vacation with lots of plane and airport time, so I guess I'll take it along and try again.

Thanks,
Jennifer
Jennifer,

I am pretty certain you will be glad you read the book. The first chapter is very short. The story builds as it goes along and by the end of the book you will swear you can communicate with all of your dogs that have gone before you..........

I will be looking forward to your post read review.........

·
Registered
977 Posts
I loved it. Certainly puts a new perspective on the relatively short lifespan of dogs.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Jennifer,

I am pretty certain you will be glad you read the book. The first chapter is very short. The story builds as it goes along and by the end of the book you will swear you can communicate with all of your dogs that have gone before you..........

I will be looking forward to your post read review.........
Thanks Bruce, I'll post around August 2nd, the day after we get back from the trip. Would love to talk to ole Henry again!!

·
Registered
Prime Time Four's a Full House 'Jessie' MH and Wyco's Lena Linda con Besos MH
533 Posts
I loved this book and have read it twice. Hang in there, Jennifer, it will make you laugh and cry, but has a wonderful ending.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I agree with the reviews. It was hard to get past the first chapter but is a wonderful story. There are some very funny moments.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I loved this book! The ending was wonderful. Yes, the first chapter was hard to get through. It hurt. But it does set the stage and it was a very uplifting story.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm not trying to buck the trend or be a troll but I find that I really don't enjoy most dog stories. I keep trying and always have a couple waiting on my Kindle but the good ones are few and far between. I read this book soon after it came out and, no, I didn't care for it. I'm one of the few who really didn't care for Marley & Me either. So, if you're the other person who didn't care for Marley & Me you may want to pass this one by. In both cases I found the people not very likable and the story just didn't hold me. It was a chore to finish it.

George

·
Registered
369 Posts
I just bought this book after reading about it on this form. Is it a book that I should read when no one else is around because it will make even a gruff old SOB like myself cry? I need to know ahead of time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts