RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a little pokin' around. Some threads here. Some YouTube videos there. I went to the official Boykin site. i like the critters.

I'm not in the market for one. My family is enjoying our new Golden pup. She's the best. But, if one of the Boykin faithful wouldn't mind, can you answer a few questions? I'm just thinking ahead a bit and like to have a friendly conversation.

1) What can a Boykin do that a good field bred ESS can't? I've seen some videos that show me just how much drive the Boykin has. Wow! Is that the main reason to get one over a springer for ducks? Is it more of a sure thing? That and the natural camo?

2) Turkey hunting?
Being a Western PA native, turkeys and dogs don't mix. It says it right there in the rule book. How do you use a Boykin for turkey? To break up the flock? If so, is the critter genetically engineered to be easily trained to be still while you call a bird back in? Or is there another way to hunt turkey with a Boykin?

3) Deer Hunting?
Deer and dogs don't mix in yankee country. Is part of the wiring of the Boykin to run deer? If a northerner wanted to use a Boykin for grouse, would running deer be a concern?

4) Does size matter?
I get the size thing. I've hunted with big dogs in canoes enough to understand. For the upland, how is the Boykin's stamina? Doesn't that brown coat suck up the heat? Wouldn't a white coated springer be able to go longer?

5) AKC
How have you managed not to fall prey to the AKC? How long can you hold out? The critters are cute. Do you fear the AKC will do to the Boykin what they did to the springer? How do you not let that happen? Aren't there a few among you that have a need to don a tuxedo and run around in a circle?

I've never met a Boykin. But from what I read so far, you've really got something there.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I did a little pokin' around. Some threads here. Some YouTube videos there. I went to the official Boykin site. i like the critters.

I'm not in the market for one. My family is enjoying our new Golden pup. She's the best. But, if one of the Boykin faithful wouldn't mind, can you answer a few questions? I'm just thinking ahead a bit and like to have a friendly conversation.

1) What can a Boykin do that a good field bred ESS can't? I've seen some videos that show me just how much drive the Boykin has. Wow! Is that the main reason to get one over a springer for ducks? Is it more of a sure thing? That and the natural camo?

A Boykin is a natural retriever. They have been a secret for years. Their drive is unreal

2) Turkey hunting?
Being a Western PA native, turkeys and dogs don't mix. It says it right there in the rule book. How do you use a Boykin for turkey? To break up the flock? If so, is the critter genetically engineered to be easily trained to be still while you call a bird back in? Or is there another way to hunt turkey with a Boykin?
Boykin turkey hunting is very good in the fall when the birds flock up. They bust the flock and then sit with the hunter while he calls them back together.
3) Deer Hunting?
Deer and dogs don't mix in yankee country. Is part of the wiring of the Boykin to run deer? If a northerner wanted to use a Boykin for grouse, would running deer be a concern?
A boykins nose is second to none. They dont use them to run deer, but to trail wounded deer.

4) Does size matter?
I get the size thing. I've hunted with big dogs in canoes enough to understand. For the upland, how is the Boykin's stamina? Doesn't that brown coat suck up the heat? Wouldn't a white coated springer be able to go longer?

Here in the south we shave our Boykins for early dove season and run circles around all other dogs. A shaved brown Boykin can go for ever in extreme heat.

5) AKC
How have you managed not to fall prey to the AKC? How long can you hold out? The critters are cute. Do you fear the AKC will do to the Boykin what they did to the springer? How do you not let that happen? Aren't there a few among you that have a need to don a tuxedo and run around in a circle?

Yes we are scared of what my happen now that the AKC has accepted the Boykin. Thats why the BSS is working hard to maintain the breed standard. There are those of us who also are working hard to maintain the working part of the breed. Boykins are such good family pets that people are breeding the heck out of them just for pets.
I've never met a Boykin. But from what I read so far, you've really got something there.

Got a stud coming for my female tomorrow, Just in case you change your mind......................wink wink

·
Registered
231 Posts
They are capable of being awesome hunters. They are still dogs, and need training just like any others. The one I've got will retrieve doves all day long on 90+ degree days. I don't know anything about hunting deer or turkey with them because you can't do that in GA either, but if trained for them I have no doubt that they can do it. The small size is definitely a big positive for a small boat. My Boykin doesn't seem to realize that most Labs & Chessies are nearly twice his size. Some people don't like them because they are small, but that's one of the attributes that attracted me. I'll never be without one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
These guys know volumes more than me as my first experiences with ANY retriever are my two 5 month old Boykin Pups. I will say that so far I am amazed at how easily they learn and their drive is phenomenal...My Female Shaw will literally retrieve ANYTHING as long as you keep throwing it....My 5 year old tested this fact.

Get one of Reese and Jaz's pups being created tomorrow and you wont be sorry....They are going to make amazing Pups.

Robert

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A dog with drive, a great nose and intelligence? A great family dog? The Boykin sounds about perfect.

Ah, I love our Golden pup. Sassy is almost 5 months on and the perfect dog for my daughter. I am just wondering how I overlooked the Boykin when I was considering which dog would be best. I knew it was there. But for some reason I missed it.

Our other dog is a drahthaar (my avatar). So I know all about how good a dog can be from off the beaten path. He is my second DD. There is lots of drive and cooperation in the critters.

Sometimes I wonder why "cooperation" is so overlooked as one of the ingredients that should be in the breeding of a quality dog. The fact that the Boykin makes a great family pet and transitions so well between hunt'n dog to a constant companion is a tribute to that ingredient being in there.

Sometimes I find the comments in some of the posts here disturbing. The chase of titles and dog supremacy can be build a breed. But that pursuit alone could pay a cost. Finding a dog with the drive to hunt but is an intelligent family companion is becoming more and more difficult to find. Life is so much easier with a dog that works with you. My drahthaar is like that and our Golden pup is the poster child for that. But how many posts have you seen from people that have a high powered dog that won't listen, won't stop pulling on the leash (no matter how hard the correction) and needs to be crated unless totally exhausted? The advice usually is to strap an e-collar on the critter, praise the hardheadedness as a feature and to provide daily exercise until the dog collapses...then it becomes a great family dog until it recharges.

Really?

Seriously, I don't know how I missed the Boykin. I won't make that mistake next time. A Boykin and a Golden in a house could work. It could work nicely!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
one of my boykins would eat your house. they're not all nice and calm.
Seriously? Ah man! I missed that when I was pokin' around Al Gore's internet. They aren't all perfect? Bummer.

I've been fortunate with the dogs that I've owned. Ever single one of them could (can) chill in the house without issue. When it is time for work, the lights would come on and the fire would start up.

I like that.

Are their different lines with different traits? Preserving the trait to be able to hop in the truck and hang with you all day would be a good thing. Maybe I can pre-order one of those? :)

It's going to be a while. Like I said, I'm just looking ahead.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Years ago, Cleo and I were given a Boykin pup, Hawk Spring's Chickin Hawk. We knew little about training dogs at that time. We had a Chocolate Lab (that became the foundation bitch of Gator Point Kennel) that was a natural hunter. They were both house dogs in a brand new house and never harmed a thing.

The Boykin was a very intense little dog, very people attached and highly intelligent, retrieved naturally and the only drawback we had with Chickie was that when he returned with the bird, he had to quarter all the way back to the line, showing the bird to every one on the field, gallery and around! He loved people and unlike most dogs, would look you right in the eye and actually stare you down.

Chickie was OFA Fair and had CERF number BS# 1, he was the first Boykin to have his eyes CERFed. At that time Boykins had a bad record of hip dysplasia, but I think that good breeding practices have improved it. The only time Chickie was bred was to a Female from TN that was OFA EX. The owners liked Chickie because he had a slightly shorter coat.

All this was about 25+ years ago, but he still has a very large spot in Cleo's and my heart. The only testing we did with Chickie was Cleo ran him in some NAHRA tests, one of which was judged by Richard Wolters,author of Water Dog. Gone, but not forgoten, Bill

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All this was about 25+ years ago, but he still has a very large spot in Cleo's and my heart. The only testing we did with Chickie was Cleo ran him in some NAHRA tests, one of which was judged by Richard Wolters,author of Water Dog. Gone, but not forgoten, Bill
Were you living in Missouri 25 years ago? Or were you living closer to South Carolina? I'm just trying to figure out how the word of the Boykin spread. I would assume that Boykin owners end up getting one because of a hunting buddy who has one. I've been prowling the fields and woods of PA and DE for the close to 36 years. I've never seen one.

I've chased setters - both English and Gordon.
I've followed GSPs.
I've hunted with cockers and springers and beagles.
I know a whole group of people with drahthaars.
Labs - state dog of Delaware.
Goldens - you can't drive past a soccer field without seeing one.
I've seen Griffons, munsterlanders and even spinone, vizsla and weimaraner at hunt tests.

But I've never ever seen a Boykin. Is this one of those southern secrets like sweet tea and grits? Heck, one of those would be a great dog's name!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Believe it or not, two of the best known regular breeders are north of the Mason-Dixon line: Jan and Larry Hinchman in Wisconsin, and Phil and Karen Hinchman just east of Indianapolis. I've heard of another kennel, Hawk's Ridge, I believe, in WV, but I've only seen one of their dogs.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've heard of another kennel, Hawk's Ridge, I believe, in WV, but I've only seen one of their dogs.
Thanks!

Hawk's Ridge is 2 hours away from my hometown in Western PA. The critters were close after all. (It is a 7 hour drive from where I live now.)

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I've trained a few and am very pleased. I plan on purchasing one or two in the near future for my breeding program.

They mark better then a springer and are 100% more watery. I don't find them soft at all but sensitive and very intelligent. They do have a tendency to be a one person dog which makes it hard for them to go back and forth to a truck, but that can be avoided with good socialization from the get go.

I would groom the coat. Either shave it or maintain it in the field with a spray down of show sheen before entering the field. Keep a grey hound comb in your back pocket to flick the burrs and stickers. The coat is shortish overall but fine in texture.

Boykins tend to be a busy dog so have lots of toys in the house and plan on many long walks. Agility would be right up their alley.

Good Luck,

Angie

·
Registered
275 Posts
Angie,

I know this is a bit off-topic, but do you know of any Boykins run in agility? I'm toying with the idea of starting just to get into another dog game. Seems like their structure would be great for it.

To the OP: I would definitely echo what Angie said about keeping the coat short. They are an absolute magnet for cockleburs, etc. A friend of mine has quite a habitat restoration work for quail going on and we messed around looking for singles yesterday (without guns of course) since they haven't started nesting. The friend's Boykin was shaved. My Boykin is short, but not shaved. His Boykin had nothing on him after we were done.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Angie,

I know this is a bit off-topic, but do you know of any Boykins run in agility? I'm toying with the idea of starting just to get into another dog game. Seems like their structure would be great for it.

To the OP: I would definitely echo what Angie said about keeping the coat short. They are an absolute magnet for cockleburs, etc. A friend of mine has quite a habitat restoration work for quail going on and we messed around looking for singles yesterday (without guns of course) since they haven't started nesting. The friend's Boykin was shaved. Mine is short, but not shaved. His Boykin had nothing on him after we were done.
I think Boykins are new on the scene in everything. They've had their hard core followers for years but now they've become pretty "public". I don't personally know of any Boykins in agility but like you I think they would be EXCELLENT!!

Angie

·
Registered
275 Posts
Paul,

I'm surprised someone of your experience would make such a blanket statement of a breed. Seems to me that any breed could be slammed by doing a google search looking for health problems. Any breeder of Boykins worth the name today does any of the health screenings that should be done. As for "size matters," I'll leave that for the logical fallacy that it is, since it's a purely subjective issue depending on the type of hunting one does.

Can Boykins have health issues? Sure. Do any of the breeds people hunt with have health issues? Same answer.

I'm not sure how many Boykins you've seen that hunt quail or other upland birds 40-50 days of the season. If you'd like, I could put you in touch with some who might clear up the misconception you have about Boykins and size.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Matt, pretty sure /paul was being facetious and making a play on "boinkin' problems" and "size matters" as something that would bring up rather interesting google search results. If you don't know what boinkin' is slang for, well, guess you missed his joke. ;-)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Angie,

To the OP: I would definitely echo what Angie said about keeping the coat short. They are an absolute magnet for cockleburs, etc. A friend of mine has quite a habitat restoration work for quail going on and we messed around looking for singles yesterday (without guns of course) since they haven't started nesting. The friend's Boykin was shaved. My Boykin is short, but not shaved. His Boykin had nothing on him after we were done.
Yes, there are a number of Boykin Spaniels with agility titles or participating in that sport.

And regarding the health testing, sadly the number of backyard and puppy mill breeders who don't health test even minimum for HD are greater in numbers than reputable breeders especially due to the recent popularity. So an individual has to be very cautious when searching for a puppy. Exercise induced collapse (EIC), hip dysplasia, hereditary eye issues, thyroid issues, epilepsy, patellas, and heart, and allergies, are the major health issues with this breed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts