RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy, folks...

a buddy of mine steered me towards this website, and, i gotta tell ya i'm impressed with the number of members and the content discussed throughout. little background...i'm a die hard great lakes steelhead fisher turned rabid labrador fanatic. this past waterfowl hunting season, it had finally gotten to the point where i'd call up my buddy to see if i couldn't borrow his black lab for a weekend duck hunt. i never did get to borrow sheldee, so, i guess what my buddy was trying to tell me was....get yer own dang dog. so, i am. in fact, i'm hoping to get a puppy from your very own rtf member, Dave Combs. needless to say, i'm greener than green when it comes to dogs, much less training. so, anything you folks can prescribe as far as training equipment goes would be most helpful. i've been lookin' at whistles, lead ropes, crates, etc...and i gotta say it is a little overwhelming at all the stuff that is out there. any recommendations on any training equipment would be most helpful. for example, i have no idea what kind of whistle to get for training. would a wrestling referee's whistle suffice? simple things like that i'm gonna need help on.

kool! thanks!

-gordie

"none of us knows more than all of us"

·
Registered
430 Posts
Welcome and good luck.

My advice.......don't get started :D
Just kidding but watch out, this stuff gets in your blood and you can't stop......

·
Administrator
3,871 Posts
Ahhhhh.....the training equipment :)

Personally as for whistles, I prefer the Roy Gonia Clear Competition, but I'm sure you will get some responses for the Mega whistle, Fox 40 (hard on my ears!!), etc., etc. Do yourself a favor and don't use a referee whistle!

Glad to see you were able to log on. Welcome! You might find some interesting information on training equipment by checking out the Product Review forum.

Vicky

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Stick with fishing, it's much cheaper.

Sometimes wish I had a new boat instead regards,

·
Registered
864 Posts
Next thing you know you'll be talking to the concrete guy. Buying a electric collar. Talking to trainers. Running HT/FT. Buying a dog box for the back of your new truck. Traveling 200 miles a weekend. Buying your 2nd pup. Buying a enclosed trailer for you decoys, Buying 6 dozen big foots and 12 dozen full body GHG Mallards, laydown blinds, duck lease, etc,etc,etc

GET OUT NOW!!!!!!!! THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!FISH, MAN, FISH.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The learning curve is sharp :shock: For a whistle, most folks use a gonia pea whistle which you can find in your local sportsman store along with all kinds of other goodies. Initially you won't need much, a flat buckle collar and a long rope are necessities, a crate, things for the pup to chew on besides your shoes, kitchen chairs, table legs, :lol: You'll want a puppy bumper but you can also make your own, like an old stuffed sock, or you can use a favorite toy (use only for retrieving). I'd recommend getting Jackie Mertens DVD on puppies, it will get you started on the right foot.

Good Luck and enjoy the pup. Labs are puppies for most of their life, so be patient.

Kris
Blacktail Labradors
Butte MT

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Kris Hunt said:
Initially you won't need much
Yeah, but...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

gordie,

Welcome to the insanity....you will really need to figure out what is a "need" and what is a "want" when it comes to training equipment....as for some of us that is easier said than done.

Also have to figure out what your goals are for this pup - a solid hunting dog, maybe play some games HT? FT?

Kris gives you a good list for what to start out with....flat buckle collar, check cord, whistle, some bumpers......after that it is all down hill!!

Enjoy the ride!

FOM

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Like Vickey said, someone will recommend the mega whistle. The way it directs the sound away from you, it seems easier on my ears. You will blow the whistle a lot, and it wears on your hearing.

http://www.dogsafield.com/products.asp?dept=18

You did not ask about a training program, but I'll go there anyhow. My personal favorites for you would be:

Jackie Merten's Sound beginnings
10 Minute Retriever by John & Amy Dahl
Training with Mike Lardy - Volume I

http://www.ybsmedia.com/cgi-local/store/commerce.cgi?product=mike_lardy

http://www.ybsmedia.com/cgi-local/store/commerce.cgi?product=jackie_mertens&cart_id=6342350.42445

http://www.dogsafield.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R123-001

Good luck!

·
Registered
987 Posts
All good advice so far; nothing much to add -- welcome to RTF

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
to those who have replied, thanks a bunch! i do realize i have a long ways to go, but, the good news is i'm willing to get at it and stick with it.
thanks again...all good stuff...

-gordie

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
thalweg said:
to those who have replied, thanks a bunch! i do realize i have a long ways to go, but, the good news is i'm willing to get at it and stick with it.
thanks again...all good stuff...

-gordie
Gordie,

BTW do you have a local club near by? That would be a great place to start.

FOM

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
By the way, where do you do your steelhead fishing? I haven't handled a chugging pole in years. My dad fishes out of Onekama on Lake Michigan. It's about an hour south of Traverse City.

Looked back at your post. I guess I assumed Michigan when you said Great Lakes. That's not necessarily true...

·
Registered
127 Posts
STEP AWAY FROM THE RETREIVER, you will save money by not starting. My advice is to try out crack coke, it is probably less addictive and definitely cheaper. Plus if you are hooked on crack people will feel sorry for you, when your hooked on dogs people just think you are wierd.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Welcome to RTF and welcome to the single greatest addiction you will ever have. There aren't many things more rewarding than the day your dog delivers that first duck to hand. Good luck and enjoy your pup!

-Shupe

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Welcome to the madness. My loss of touch with reality happened not too many years ago, and the addiction just gets worse...or, from my vantage point, BETTER!!

You've already gotten lots of good advice, but let me add these to consider for your library:
Evan Graham's "SmartWork" and "SmartFetch" series
Richard Wolters' "Family Dog" along with "Game Dog" and "Water Dog"

The Wolters books and techniques are not mutually exclusive and they worked very well for me up to a point, primarily because they're very straightforward, well written and have lots of photos. When we progressed beyond what the Wolters approach provided us, I found that Evan Graham's and Mike Lardy's methods took us...and continue to take us...to higher levels than I ever thought possible.

I think the best advice I can give is to read, read, read...and study and learn...before the pup ever comes home. Also be ready to make a major time commitment to your pup. Our Sadie is 2-1/2 years old, and we still train for an hour or an hour-and-a-half nearly every day that we're not hunting.

Then go get a second mortgage on your house to pay for all the great dog stuff that's out there, and for the travel expenses to tests and trials! :lol:

·
Registered
423 Posts
hello

Gordie, if you're getting a pup from Dave, I'm thinking you might be a NY'er. You'll be getting it at a great time with spring just around the corner. Have a great journey! Where do you hail from?

·
Registered
491 Posts
sheriff said:
Next thing you know you'll be talking to the concrete guy. Buying a electric collar. Talking to trainers. Running HT/FT. Buying a dog box for the back of your new truck. Traveling 200 miles a weekend. Buying your 2nd pup. Buying a enclosed trailer for you decoys, Buying 6 dozen big foots and 12 dozen full body GHG Mallards, laydown blinds, duck lease, etc,etc,etc
Holy crap! And to think I'm only thru the first three sentences. :shock: :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Welcome to the board! Had I known it would be so expensive I would have got my part-time job sooner. haha Seriously, it sounds like its too late for you. You've already got the bug. Be patient, learn as much as you can, don't believe everything you hear/read, and find a good pro or serious amateur who will let you in on some of their knowledge in exchange for you buying breakfast and throwing some birds. Good luck!

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you're married you might think twice about getting involved w/ dogs. Seriously. ..unless your spouse is just as nuts as you are.

Of course, if you can't help yourself, there's no saving you anyway so you might as well enjoy the ride. As for the money, well you can't take it with you, so what the heck..

...you poor old bugger, you should turn back now while you still can...

bp

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Fishing, Golf, Gambling, even crack are cheaper and probably better to get involved in, but if you feel you must become a dog person.....welcome to RTF :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts