RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Nobody asked for your opinion about silver labs, and I'm not trying to troll anyone. I just want my dog to be safe in the water. Nobody wants to hear your aggressive opinion about a dog you've never met, so either ignore me or give me some helpful tips you wish you would have had when you started training your very first dog.
Then maybe you should check with your vet to see if your mutt has any physical issues causing the breathing problem...
Seriously, see your vet.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Nobody asked for your opinion about silver labs, and I'm not trying to troll anyone. I just want my dog to be safe in the water. Nobody wants to hear your aggressive opinion about a dog you've never met, so either ignore me or give me some helpful tips you wish you would have had when you started training your very first dog.
I am not being aggressive. I was sharing with you about the position of the official club of the Labrador Retriever but given your response, I guess you already know what that is.

And BTW --- with regards to swimming... I said the exact same thing Ken did - but with fewer words and with less feel good baby talk, I guess..... Your dog 'should' be able to figure out how to swim with practice. You did not say this was your very first dog (doesn't come as a huge shock, but it is entirely possible that someone has had multiple dogs that were 'naturals' and then got one that just floundered in the water.)....nor did you say it was even a silver lab, and I never said anything about your dog being a silver lab until you acknowledged that he is, so you are the one doing the assuming.

And if you want to say it is obvious because of your profile photo... I have news for you.... A lot of people ASSUME that I am male - because of my profile name (the name of one of my dogs). I don't get MY PANTIES in a knot when someone says 'dude', 'sir', 'Mr', or any other masculine pronoun/title......I simply make them aware by signing my name at the bottom of my reply (BTW what is your name?).. You know what they say about Assuming.....

If you are offended by a very funny photo of a chihauha in dive gear, I don't know what to say, except maybe you need to chill out .... And if you think that is rough, you ought to check out this thread, ....https://www.retrievertraining.net/threads/will-not-seat-on-a-duck.10351/#post-119270 --- which was the first and last post by the OP....... (no surprise, even I thought it was funny but dang the poor person never had a chance!)...... when I read the title of your post, thie 'will not seat on a duck thread' was the first thing I thought of (thus the very funny picture of the chihauha in snorkel gear). Breathing While Swimming? If the dog doesn't breath while it's swimming it's not going to live long. Struck me as humorous.

If you haven't taken your dog swimming again be sure to have someone there who can help rescue your dog if needed... I'd recommend a length of floating line, but that requires a fair amount of skill and knowledge to use properly so that it doesn't entangle the dog and thus drown or scare it. You could also try a life jacket unti your dog has the idea..(in all seriousness)

Welcome to RTF,
hope you stick around
If you live anywhere near SC Missouri, I'd be happy to help you get your dog swimming properly. I live right next to a reservoir, as it so happens.

Juli Bottjen

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I am not being aggressive. I was sharing with you about the position of the official club of the Labrador Retriever but given your response, I guess you already know what that is.

And BTW --- with regards to swimming... I said the exact same thing Ken did - but with fewer words and with less feel good baby talk, I guess..... Your dog 'should' be able to figure out how to swim with practice. You did not say this was your very first dog (doesn't come as a huge shock, but it is entirely possible that someone has had multiple dogs that were 'naturals' and then got one that just floundered in the water.)....nor did you say it was even a silver lab, and I never said anything about your dog being a silver lab until you acknowledged that he is, so you are the one doing the assuming.

And if you want to say it is obvious because of your profile photo... I have news for you.... A lot of people ASSUME that I am male - because of my profile name (the name of one of my dogs). I don't get MY PANTIES in a knot when someone says 'dude', 'sir', 'Mr', or any other masculine pronoun/title......I simply make them aware by signing my name at the bottom of my reply (BTW what is your name?).. You know what they say about Assuming.....

If you are offended by a very funny photo of a chihauha in dive gear, I don't know what to say, except maybe you need to chill out .... And if you think that is rough, you ought to check out this thread, ....https://www.retrievertraining.net/threads/will-not-seat-on-a-duck.10351/#post-119270 --- which was the first and last post by the OP....... (no surprise, even I thought it was funny but dang the poor person never had a chance!)...... when I read the title of your post, thie 'will not seat on a duck thread' was the first thing I thought of (thus the very funny picture of the chihauha in snorkel gear). Breathing While Swimming? If the dog doesn't breath while it's swimming it's not going to live long. Struck me as humorous.

If you haven't taken your dog swimming again be sure to have someone there who can help rescue your dog if needed... I'd recommend a length of floating line, but that requires a fair amount of skill and knowledge to use properly so that it doesn't entangle the dog and thus drown or scare it. You could also try a life jacket unti your dog has the idea..(in all seriousness)

Welcome to RTF,
hope you stick around
If you live anywhere near SC Missouri, I'd be happy to help you get your dog swimming properly. I live right next to a reservoir, as it so happens.

Juli Bottjen
I apologize for misinterpretation. I thought the diving chihauha was amusing. My name is Michael, and I am from Salt Lake Utah.

·
Administrator
3,891 Posts
Kodathesilverlabs, Welcome to RTF. I hope you will stick around and find valuable information on the forum.

·
Registered
13,094 Posts
... I said the exact same thing Ken did - but with fewer words ....

Juli Bottjen
Good Lord!
That made me giggle!
Now Michael, as your dogs swimming abilities advance this quote above is something you can try. It is an advanced form of disciplined casting known as backpedaling. :ROFLMAO:
I understand you may not know of disciplined casting. But the whom to the intended jab is aimed shirley does.😇
After a long day, that truly did crack me up.
The power of the RTF!

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Ken said-
And he will learn and grow out of it. Mostly

I said - practice makes perfect, he should b able to figure it out.

Seems pretty much along the same lines to me

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
He puked when he was maybe five feet from shore and collapsed for a few seconds when he finally made it. Is this something he will learn from and grow out of, or is there something I need to do to help him breathe in the water??
Bro, it is not uncommon for dogs I have trained to spit up a little water. But collapsing is uncommon. Please take advice earlier of seeing a vet and test for EIC(excercise induced collapse) which IS not as COMMON as it was 10 years ago and getting rarer with clearance testing and breeding practices. You may also look at your registration paperwork and health clearances provided by your breeder before the vet visit.

Best of luck with your dog!

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Bro, it is not uncommon for dogs I have trained to spit up a little water. But collapsing is uncommon. Please take advice earlier of seeing a vet and test for EIC(excercise induced collapse) which IS not as COMMON as it was 10 years ago and getting rarer with clearance testing and breeding practices. You may also look at your registration paperwork and health clearances provided by your breeder before the vet visit.

I had not thought of EIC but that could be a legitimate concern. Good advice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely look into it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Most likely Koda is so far removed from the breedings that introduced the dilute gene into the labrador breed, that the breed tests would not be accurate - but certainly it's an option. No matter what I am sure he's a well loved dog and that's really what matters. Hopefully his breeder gave you the info on the parents hips/elbows and genetic testing. If so, you won't need to buy the genetic panel.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts