RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dr. Mary Tatum did the procedure today and said everything went great. Now the waiting begins.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Okay let's not advertise litters on the main forum - how hard is that to understand...even indirect, skirt the rules advertising!

FOM
RTF Moderator

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not advertising. No confirmation or anything. I was just glad that part was over.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
I wish you all the luck Terry. I personally never had much luck with frozen AI.

Here's to a big litter....

Angie

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Mary Tatum is very good and seems to get the big litters when others are failing. I have no luck with AI's, but frozens are ok. Sometimes Mary does both chilled and frozen also.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Good luck to you Terry! I've shipped a lot of fresh chilled and frozen..... never had an issue. The smallest litter I've had was 5 with fresh chilled and it was bred way late. I was surprised they got anything.

·
Registered
658 Posts
My smallest litter from frozen was one and post thaw semen quality was in the low 40's, wouldn't wish that on anybody, highest so far is eight with a different bitch and stud. Buns in the oven last Thursday with the previously singleton mom and the stud's post thaw semen quality was in the mid 90's and the timing smack dead on so we'll see how it goes this time. Most people don't realize the time, expense and anxiety that is involved in putting together a frozen / surgical breeding, good luck with yours and good choice in vets with Mary Tatum.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Buns in the oven last Thursday with the previously singleton mom and the stud's post thaw semen quality was in the mid 90's and the timing smack dead on so we'll see how it goes this time
Yes, you need to have good thaw motility and exact timing. If either is off the results of one puppy is usually worse than none. Always try and obtain the post thaw motility before buying semen. You couldn't give it to me if the motility is bad. Good luck-let us know how it turns out. I have had females that had 12 with the same dog naturally and with the same exact timing none with AI.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I wish you all the luck Terry. I personally never had much luck with frozen AI.

Here's to a big litter....

Angie
I hope the jinx is broken for me this year regarding frozen semen surgical AIs. I've done several in a row the last few years with good repro vets with no pups. I even shipped a bitch from OKC to Mary Tatum for a frozen surgical AI to Boss a few years back and the dog only whelped 2 pups. Hope your luck is better than mine.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the luck sent our way. My girl stayed with Dr Tatum for 5 days so that we could get the best timing. I never realized how much went into a breeding and we are just getting started. Do any of you use a service called Whelp Wise? http://www.whelpwise.com/ What was your experience?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Good luck and hope that everything turns out well for you. The wait is a killer!! I just went through that "waiting", myself.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Be careful with Whelpwise, Having someone on the phone giving you advice without seeing what is going on is a recipe for a Csection. To much room for equipment malfunction, operator error and nervous owners to jump to a section. I recently heard of a breeder that lost an entire litter because she did not listen to her own gut and her bitch ( who was resting comfortably) and they sectioned. The vet used the wrong anesthetic and they could not revive 8 or 9 pups...sad
Think about joining this group on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/reproandneonatalcare/

By the way I did use Whelpwise for a very at risk whelping, Dam had had 2 c sections already, I did not end up with a section. But now 13 years later the use of oxytocin , which Whelpwise has your Dr give you ,even in the tiny doses does not make me comfortable anymore

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
When Dr Kit Kampschmidt did my girls last AI we had 58% post law motility and got lucky and had 11 pups. The first breeding was about the same motility and 3 pups.
My Sis in law Scotty just bred her bitch AI (Tiger McBunn) and looks like 7 or 8 pups.

FINGERS CROSSED for you guys!!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
When Dr Kit Kampschmidt did my girls last AI we had 58% post law motility and got lucky and had 11 pups. The first breeding was about the same motility and 3 pups.
My Sis in law Scotty just bred her bitch AI (Tiger McBunn) and looks like 7 or 8 pups.

FINGERS CROSSED for you guys!!!

I Like Tex..lol..

BobbyB
cajun

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
. Do any of you use a service called Whelp Wise? http://www.whelpwise.com/ What was your experience?

I have only bred one litter but I did use the whelpwise service and was very happy with it. My vet did not give me any oxytocin like whelpwise thought he should, but overall having the uterine monitor and dopler for the heart beats did give me a lot of peace of mind. If I were to bred again, I would use their service again.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I Like Tex..lol..

BobbyB
cajun
Bobby
I never get tired of hearing that. Ole Tex was 1 of the 3 pup litter. Kate, the female in that litter is the dam of FC-Finn. She too was bred AI 3 times. 5 pups by Rudy, 6 by Shaq, and 3 by Grady. She was 8 when she whelped the Grady litter.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Thanks for all of the luck sent our way. My girl stayed with Dr Tatum for 5 days so that we could get the best timing. I never realized how much went into a breeding and we are just getting started. Do any of you use a service called Whelp Wise? http://www.whelpwise.com/ What was your experience?
Just make sure you have someone you know that is experienced assist (instructional) you as needed. It really helped me and very much appreciated. It might help with making an informed decision. I ran into almost a full gamut of issues: no temp drop, one pup delivered 13 hours early and a midnight emergency run to check others, next three pups delivered on schedule and quickly, a delay in the next pup so back to vet, dead pup blocking the road, very slight dose of oxytocin to try and stimulate w/o blowing out uterus and finally a c-section. With 40+ hours straight, I finally got some sleep with 10 healthy pups. Be prepared for anything and have a good vet.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Thank you for not posting pics :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts