RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't a training question but I'm curious about breeder recommendations near southeast Kansas. I'm looking for a Labrador or Chesapeake in the future (like next year or even later). I'd love to get one now but it's not the right timing for me. Just getting some ideas to do some more research. I appreciate any thoughts.

·
Registered
347 Posts
What are you planning to use the pup for?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have a nice breeding planned for next spring, what is your plan for the pup.
I'm located just north of Wichita. Call me anytime 316-323-2288

·
Registered
400 Posts
Have you had a chessie before?

Russell

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on hunting. No shows and probably no trials. Non breeder. And I have not had a chessie and I am a fairly inexperienced trainer. So I'm probably going to go for a lab cause I know chessies are known to be a little trickier to handle.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Reread post 3 and dial that number.
Mo is a good guy who can point you in the right direction; both now and later on

·
Registered
716 Posts
Many good dog breeders in the KS/MO/OK area. Don't limit yourself to geography when choosing a litter. Its just a few trips to see the dogs and pick a pup. That being said I can personally recommend Blackjack kennels out of Chanute, KS. Purchased 2 dogs from Jeff. Google kennel name for more info.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Double TT in Sylvia, KS. Haynes Floyd has been turning out fine dogs for a long time. My new pup is from TT; strong Brit/Irish field champion breeding - her daddy and granddad are both HRCH/MH dogs and are both in the 500 pt club.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I bought a dog from a kennel listed above (not post #3) and was given health info on the dog, a young brood bitch, that included "OFA Good hips." I trusted the breeder and when it came time to show OFA scores for pup buyers, no tests had been done. She came back mild on her left hip. The response I got from the breeder - "not my dog, not my problem."

I learned a hard lesson that day. Do your research.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I bought a dog from a kennel listed above (not post #3) and was given health info on the dog, a young brood bitch, that included "OFA Good hips." I trusted the breeder and when it came time to show OFA scores for pup buyers, no tests had been done. She came back mild on her left hip. The response I got from the breeder - "not my dog, not my problem."

I learned a hard lesson that day. Do your research.
I had a similar NEGATIVE experience with one of the previously recommended kennels.
If the OP PM's me I would be more than happy to tell him who to avoid

·
Registered
68 Posts
Be careful pstocky. I can't begin to tell you how many people on this site were only looking for a good hunting dog, myself included. Now most of my disposable income has gone to the dogs. It doesn't take long to get hooked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You are so right about the disposable income going to the dogs. I got my first dog a few months ago and I spend more time and money on the dog than I do myself. It started off as I just wanted a companion and now I'm full blown hunting dog training with all the DVD's, bumpers, birds, and so on. It is very adicting.

As far as breeders go. Don't limit yourself on just a local breeder. I drove 1200 miles round trip to pick up my puppy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the responses. Im in college and don't have room for a new guy. That's why I'm waiting a year or two. I'm just trying to get a head start on so I can make the best decision I can. And being in college my disposable income is and will be rather low. Which is why I am trying to limit myself geographically. Trying to keep cost down, but I will promise anyone I wont get into something I don't have the time, money, or space for. I'm just getting the feelers out there so to speak.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Mike Judas at Ten Bears Kennels in Mequin Illinois or Kurt Turner in Plattville, Wi.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Regardless of how you spell it it still isn't near SE Kansas; and the OP specifically requested a breeder near there
some breeders are just worth a little further drive. Even if you are on a budget. and I don't think there has been one named that this in southeast Kansas. Looks like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed today mark.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts