RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a question for any experienced breeder or I would really just be interested in learning if any of you have experienced something like this...

I was in Madison, WI today with my bitch Lucy and I was planning on breeding her to Charles and Yvonne Hays stud Snapper. However, something curious happened today which was the event of a breeding not taking place due to blockage somewhere inside Lucy. There was no issue with Snapper, it was due to Lucy's issue. I do not know what this could be (her brucellosis test was negative and I do not know if that helps) and I'm planning on speaking with my vet tomorrow.

Does anybody know what this could be? Are there treatments or can this be fixed? Is my dog infertile?

Any leads you guys may have would be great and I will keep you posted as to what the vet says tomorrow.

Thank you,
-Katelyn

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Sounds like a vaginal stricture. 1) They can surgically "trim "it, or she can be AI'd .It wont hinder her delivery, or at least I've been told that.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I agree with Billie. I usually tell people to have their females checked for a stricture at the time they go to the vet for a Brucellosis if it is a first breeding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's an error on my behalf that I did not check for the stricture as I was more concerned with the progesterone and Brucellosis tests. This is her first breeding and my first time being a breeder.

What do I do with the female at this point?

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
It's an error on my behalf that I did not check for the stricture as I was more concerned with the progesterone and Brucellosis tests. This is her first breeding and my first time being a breeder.

What do I do with the female at this point?
You'll have to do a couple of AI's probably. If you vet isn't experienced Spring Harbor in Madison has a reproductive vet.
http://www.springharboranimalhospital.com/

·
Registered
149 Posts
I remember a breeding that had to come to the vet's office where I worked. First time for the bitch, so it must be her problem, male had been used as stud before. They were going to AI, that's when they found that the male had an infectiont that was quite painful and he couldn't quite finish the job.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
What was her progesterone? Sometimes if you try a bit early, the male can't get in all the way. There may be nothing wrong at all.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
True about the progesterone being early. The stud dog ay not be experienced enough to power through and when she is around 10 or above will have no problems. It wouldn't hurt to get an AI in her though JIC

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well her LH peaked when she was at 2.0 ng. We kept testing her after the LH peak and then we were planning on breeding her when her progesterone reached 5.0 and then two days after that. I had been taking her into the vet a lot just to make sure, as this was first time breeding her and her heat cycle is incredibly short.

I don't believe that there was anything wrong with the male as he has produced many large and successful litters. The breeder was examining him and found nothing wrong, but when I examined Lucy I felt blockage and I knew that something was clearly wrong with her.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Well her LH peaked when she was at 2.0 ng. We kept testing her after the LH peak and then we were planning on breeding her when her progesterone reached 5.0 and then two days after that. I had been taking her into the vet a lot just to make sure, as this was first time breeding her and her heat cycle is incredibly short.

I don't believe that there was anything wrong with the male as he has produced many large and successful litters. The breeder was examining him and found nothing wrong, but when I examined Lucy I felt blockage and I knew that something was clearly wrong with her.
You are breeding too early. The first breeding should be 2 days after 5 and 4 days after 5. She is too early and tight. She may not even have a stricture. Maybe some people will post references. If you want to breed at 5 then you will have to do an AI but eggs need 48 hours to mature to be capable of being fertilized. I suspect your vet doesn't have much repro experience.

Also, just because a male has big litters, doesn't equate to being able to power into a female if she is early or has a stricture.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are breeding too early. The first breeding should be 2 days after 5 and 4 days after 5. She is too early and tight. She may not even have a stricture. Maybe some people will post references.
For clarification that is what we had been planning on doing. Two days after five and then another four. I apologize for not clarifying.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
For clarification that is what we had been planning on doing. Two days after five and then another four. I apologize for not clarifying.
So was she at 2 days after 5 and you couldn't get the tie? I would set up and AI and try again and if you get no tie at least do an AI.

Is there a height difference with the two dogs? Is he poking in the right spot and can't get in? You may need a platform.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So was she at 2 days after 5 and you couldn't get the tie? I would set up and AI and try again and if you get no tie at least do an AI.

Is there a height difference with the two dogs? Is he poking in the right spot and can't get in? You may need a platform.

Yes, she was at 2 days after 5 and there was no tie. The male could only get his penis in about an inch, if that even. We tried the breeding 4 different times and did not have any luck, as we kept meeting the same problem.

There isn't really any height difference between the dogs, each are about the same.

G

·
If she's never been bred before he has to break the hymen so she really needs to be ready. Mine has tried sometimes when they are to early, they yelp he can't finish and we try again the next day. We had one we tried to breed for a few days she was ready male just couldn't breed her she had an inverted vulva the vet said no way would he get her, he was right. I have had the progestrone tests say this is the time, and she still might not be willing for a day or two. The progestrone on the last one we bred was at 15 she had 8 pups. Is this male an experienced stud?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got back from the vet with Lucy and it's a vaginal stricture. The vet inserted a scope and found lots of blockage. We'll be going back in again on Monday for the removal of the blockage.

Thanks so much for all of your help and information everyone!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts