RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a son to a grand daughter be too close if those are your only commonalities?

For instance, You have a FC Howdy bred to a FC AFC Gates female. Is this too close? What about a Blue to a Gates female?

Just starting a conversation that should bring about hope and change and a brighter future......

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
"Too close" really depends on the individuals.

If Lean Mac was the sire of the sire and the grandfather of the dam, if all health clearances are done, then no its not too close.

I think most people approach this inaccurately. WHY are you doing the cross? What do you hope to see in the resulting pups? What homes are they going to (will their potential be maximized?) Those are the questions that should be asked.

I have done "first cousin" breedings and aunt/nephew, uncle/niece breedings. I have not done half siblings or father/daughter or mother/son breedings.

WRL

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have done "first cousin" breedings and aunt/nephew, uncle/niece breedings. I have not done half siblings or father/daughter or mother/son breedings.
Sounds like a fine episode of Jerry Springer or a family reunion in Mississippi and Alabama. :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Depends.

Are there other relatives in this line breeding? Who are the other relatives? Are any a brother or sister of Lean Mac?
What traits are you trying to reproduce in the pups?
Are there any negatives that both parents share?
Line breeding can "set" the positive traits but it can do the same with negative ones.
Have you played with the breeding in k9.data.com?

Out crosses (low coi) will usually produce a greater varience in the puppies but it also provides genetic diversity.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Unless you know something about what the individuals have actually produced, the closer you go, the higher the risk. In other words, take a trait like bad bites. If the stud produces some bad bites, if you double up on him, you may have more bad bites. Same thing for conformation defects-posty rear legs, tendency toward ccl repairs-double up and you may have more problems. If you don't know anything about what the individual produces, or don't know anybody that does, I would stay away.

·
Registered
244 Posts
They say every 5 generations. Now I have a dog where sire was the 3rd and 4th generation. Dog is healthy and is clear for everything on the DNA. I would way 4 is fine. Inline breeding at 15%. You can do a test breeding on k9data.com. Open database for labs and goldens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts