RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not about my dog.
How do people feel about breeding a golden retriever who has passed all clearances, is in excellent health, no allergies, great temperament, has a very nice pedigree and some decent hunt titles, but is genetically missing 2 molars on the bottom jaw?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No dog is perfect and missing teeth are an easy issue to deal with. If that were the only negative, then I would not worry about it. I try not to double up on missing teeth however. I have had several dogs with missing teeth and it certainly does not affect their performance. Just my humble opinion.

Amy

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Amy.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Melanie.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
There is no perfect dog out there. Teeth wouldn't bother me.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Missing molars on such a nice Golden Retriever..

Unless I was breed ring inclined, not a deal breaker for me ..not doubling up sounds wise if possible..

Wondering, has everyone noticed the Dentition Clearance ? ..all of a sudden there it was.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I would have no problem with it either. A few missing molars versus all other clearances and a sound healthy dog? Really not a problem. The only people who ask about teeth are the breed people. I got a big chuckle out of my conversation with one who insisted that a dog could not be a good retriever with missing premolars.

Dawn

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Missing molars on such a nice Golden Retriever..

Unless I was breed ring inclined, not a deal breaker for me ..not doubling up sounds wise if possible..

Wondering, has everyone noticed the Dentition Clearance ? ..all of a sudden there it was.
The lady that owns Corona's sire is now checking the Dentition Clearance. I am not exactly sure what it is but she is all over it.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I would have no problem with it either. A few missing molars versus all other clearances and a sound healthy dog? Really not a problem. The only people who ask about teeth are the breed people. I got a big chuckle out of my conversation with one who insisted that a dog could not be a good retriever with missing premolars.

Dawn
That has me belly laughing out loud!!!! Yeah thats the reason! hehehehe........

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Hi Steph..

Here it is on the Home Page ...4th down..

http://www.offa.org/

Well, I guess if one's dog had all their teeth, then lost one say to scooping a Frisbee or something like that.. :roll: (been there)

...and a particularly fussy person says, ya sure...your dog had all his/her teeth..

You have the proof!

Of course, it might not be important so let them believe what they want!..

Breed ring person that might want to use a particular dog might :) care, so if the owner of the missing tooth dog is also a breed ring person..it might pay to have the clearance. (or a vet's note saying the dog had all it's teeth at one time?) Suppose the data base might be easier.

sigh...not in that world, so... ...but did it anyway....

Just in case anyone's interested..my 11 year old boy still has all his teeth..LOL

Judy

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
There are a lot worse things out there than missing teeth.
deb
Yeah, ask almost anybody in Alabama:):)

Lord please forgive me and bless the starving pygmies.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If they had any inkling of showing in the breed ring either the puppies or down the line, they might want to rethink it. Otherwise, who cares.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If missing teeth prevent a good retriever then I should not tell my two Goldens that are QAA MH.;) One is missing about 6 teeth and no we did not breed her for a variety of reasons.

Amy

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the answers. The owner of the bitch in question has absolutely no desire to sell any puppies to breed show homes, so I don't think her missing teeth make a hoot of difference.
Good Lord, a dentition database? Which I see costs $15? They could just open my dog's mouth before using him for breeding.....yep, they're all there. He even has an extra one, does he get extra credit for that?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Yeah, ask almost anybody in Alabama:):)

Lord please forgive me and bless the starving pygmies.
this is what we alabamians get from our neighbors to the east? a state that once needed to be burned for remodeling.....a state that if you leave out its only city has demographics that make mississippi look like paradise......a state where i once visited a flea market down near albany that had a "denture factory outlet" booth......

actually becky you beat me to it. i was going to say, "if teeth were a prerequisite for breeding, alabama's population would become extinct in one generation!"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts