RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of breeding my Boss Daughter/ Grady Granddaughter this summer/fall. Curious to what the community thinks about a good/great Stud line. Always been partial to Harley/Abe pups ... What do y'all think?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I'd bet that the RTF pedigree junkies would give some insight if you could post your bitch's pedigree.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'd bet that the RTF pedigree junkies would give some insight if you could post your bitch's pedigree.
Thanks for the suggestion, Thought I had Given enough info with the Boss (FC AFC Watermark's The Boss) and Grady (NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade.) Her Dam is a female pup out of Grady's breeding to Fairwinds Boogie Woogie MH "Texas Flyways Grady Ramblin Rose" I'll see if I can figure out how to post a scan of her AKC Pedigree

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks file wss too big ... The links have the litter spotted ... Now if we can discuss what stud would Nick nicely ...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I would look hard at Ali(FC AFC Lane's Let's Get Ready to Rumble) if your girl is EIC clear. Would really concentrate the Wilderness Harley to Go line. Ali has a ton of pups doing very well in Derbies and trials.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Lost in these hobby breeder discussions are the risk/rewards factors, breeding via frozen semen to a distant stud is both expensive and risky. What is your potential market, what do they want, and how much are they willing to pay for a puppy to allow you to recoup your some of your costs? The locally available well bred and accomplished stud could well be a better choice for you.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Lost in these hobby breeder discussions are the risk/rewards factors, breeding via frozen semen to a distant stud is both expensive and risky. What is your potential market, what do they want, and how much are they willing to pay for a puppy to allow you to recoup your some of your costs? The locally available well bred and accomplished stud could well be a better choice for you.
AMEN to that!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would look hard at Ali(FC AFC Lane's Let's Get Ready to Rumble) if your girl is EIC clear. Would really concentrate the Wilderness Harley to Go line. Ali has a ton of pups doing very well in Derbies and trials.
Thanks, I like Ali's pedigree and I also agree on the Harley lines .... What is it that you like about Ali other than his pedigree?
gmail and

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No titles yet, she has two JR passes will be running SR or Master this spring ...have toyed with running her in a couple of derbies, not sure I'm ready as a handler....she has the talent and can mark and go the distance ... She is a pleasure to? train very biddable great attitude doesnt hold a grudge ... Her only fault so far is she appears to like the Cowboys better than the Steelers ....

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Thanks, I like Ali's pedigree and I also agree on the Harley lines .... What is it that you like about Ali other than his pedigree?
gmail and
I like his looks and his pups are performing well in FT and HT competition.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Ed, good point...fortunately in North Texas we have several accomplished studs, including your pup Holland ... She has a couple of your studs in her line including Honcho ... Now back to the TUC game

·
Registered
622 Posts
thats funny, me and my trainer just talked about this an hour ago...i drastically need to recoup some costs and the non natural way can be VERY pricey...a TON of factors that i never even considered were brought to my attention...a 10 hour drive to have dogs "get together" seems like childsplay compared to other costs..

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I've been a part of 6 AI breedings and can tell you that the $$$s add up quickly!!! From cost of shipping semen (if needed), multiple trips to the vet for progesterone tests to ultrasound and X-Ray. Yeeks!!!
Three of our six breedings had the added cost of C-sections.Two of which were emergencies, and VERY costly. Even with the cost, all of our breedings have been positive experiences. We've been fortunate enough to have most pups sold before whelping, and all went to fantastic homes, whether being FT, HT, or hunting only homes.

The next breeding we do will be "ala natural". Best of luck!!!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I was in the same boat looking at ai or natural, and being the first breeding we opted for a natural with an fc less than 3 hours drive from here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts