RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two year old yellow lab has started to bring back 2 bumpers at a time, I tried using larger ones to break him of this but he still manages to do it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Smart dog...bringing back 2 at a time he gets done quicker...lol

What are you working on? Don't put them close together, spread them out. If the dog is shopping around put him on a rope and pull him off when he has one in his mouth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been just tossing bumpers and force fetching, he tries to bring more than 1 back even if they are far a part, sometimes he doesnt do it but sometimes he does.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My two year old yellow lab has started to bring back 2 bumpers at a time, I tried using larger ones to break him of this but he still manages to do it. Any suggestions?

Rope, and rope gloves.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Dont give him the opportunity to shop for a second bumper. As soon as he picks one up call him in. If it persists and he was collar conditioned to "here", call him as soon as he picks up a bumper with a "here nick here".

·
Registered
530 Posts
Dont give him the opportunity to shop for a second bumper. As soon as he picks one up call him in. If it persists and he was collar conditioned to "here", call him as soon as he picks up a bumper with a "here nick here".
I wouldn't do that.

Bert

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have been just tossing bumpers and force fetching, he tries to bring more than 1 back even if they are far a part, sometimes he doesnt do it but sometimes he does.
Are you following a particular program? If so you may want to stop doing doubles untill you finish handleing school.

Bert

·
Registered
923 Posts
Agree with don't do that! Dog says, "Oooh bumper!" Then "Shat! Bumper hurts!"

I'd definitely go to pile work with a rope, if it just bothered me. You have a shopper.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I have a shopper and if I spread the bumpers out farther its easier to tell when he is shopping and can correct. On long blinds I can not tell if hes shopping. I have not worried much about it (which is maybe not a smart thing, I dont know). We just always put out an extra bumper for him on blinds.
He can scoop two up just as easy as one, in the blink of an eye.
He has also brought back a bumper and duck at the same time.
Sorry no help here

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Without question, the most effective way to prevent the dog from picking up two bumpers is to only put 1 out. If you have multiple dogs running a blind, put out only as many bumpers as dogs to run and run this dog last.
In yard work or pattern blinds, the only time I send the dog to the same spot more than once, you will need to address this issue if it prevents you from progressing. In fact, you likely should have addressed it with the rope during the first session of 3 hand or simple casting when the dog was first taught about pile work.
If you have properly collar fetched the dog, there is. Nothing wrong with establishing a pile (spread out the bumpers) and giving the dog a "fetch"-nick for shopping. If the dog is not proper collar fetched and CCd, then you should not be sending the dog to a pile unless on a rope.

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
Without question, the most effective way to prevent the dog from picking up two bumpers is to only put 1 out. If you have multiple dogs running a blind, put out only as many bumpers as dogs to run and run this dog last.
In yard work or pattern blinds, the only time I send the dog to the same spot more than once, you will need to address this issue if it prevents you from progressing. In fact, you likely should have addressed it with the rope during the first session of 3 hand or simple casting when the dog was first taught about pile work.
If you have properly collar fetched the dog, there is. Nothing wrong with establishing a pile (spread out the bumpers) and giving the dog a "fetch"-nick for shopping. If the dog is not proper collar fetched and CCd, then you should not be sending the dog to a pile unless on a rope.
x2
perfect post :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts