RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Don't know if this might interest anyone, but the in-office brucellosis test has been discontinued and vets are no longer able to obtain it.
So if you need to do a test and normally do it in office, you might want to plan a few days turn around time instead.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Really? Wow. Wonder why? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Is there a link somewhere to this announcement?

·
Registered
9,767 Posts
Don't know if this might interest anyone, but the in-office brucellosis test has been discontinued and vets are no longer able to obtain it.
So if you need to do a test and normally do it in office, you might want to plan a few days turn around time instead.
must be very recently, I just got a new supply from Synbiotics 2 weeks ago

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Stillwater Vet Clinic in MN is still doing their own. Marshfield Lab in WI has had an issue for months with getting the reagent or something and is now, or was a few weeks ago, sending them out to Cornell.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
My repro vet is sending them to Cornell too. They did have the kit and can't get it. They are saying 10 days to 2 weeks turnaround.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, my repro vet told me this today. I checked a couple websites that used to supply it and they said "discontinued".

Is there a link somewhere to this announcement?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was this morning. Thanks for this info., I'll mention it to my repro vet.

must be very recently, I just got a new supply from Synbiotics 2 weeks ago

·
Registered
478 Posts
The vet I use said that they get some false positives with the in-office test. He suggested I have the test sent out to a lab because of this- that was about a year ago. Wondering if there have been more than "just a few" false positives or maybe negatives and some legal action taken against the test makers for it. I know most tests have the possibility of false positives and negatives, so not sure if that would be enough to cause it to be discontinued.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The false positive rate was very high, supposedly, but it is on the sent-out test as well. I've been told it's so high that some labs use "inconclusive" rather than "positive" on the initial test.

·
Registered
9,767 Posts
This is from Synbiotics Corporation web site, the test was originally developed and first marketed in 1982 and has proved to be reliable and affordable. In my experience positives are rare, a dilutent is supplied with the test to further test and rule out false positives. If the second test is positive serum is submitted to a commercial lab for the Brucella canis tube agglutination test which takes several days.

"The D-TEC® CB Canine Brucellosis Antibody Test Kit is a Rapid Slide Agglutination Test (RSAT) which has been shown to presumptively diagnose infection with Brucella canis by detecting specific antibody that is formed one to four weeks after infection.*
Rapid. Dependable results are available in approximately two minutes.
Accurate. False negatives have rarely been reported.
Sensitive. *Detects both early and chronic stages of infection.
Contains 2-ME to further test RSAT positive samples.
The American Kennel Club (AKC) recommends a confirmed negative status prior to breeding.
- Sold to licensed veterinarians only."

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you. I wonder why some vets are saying they can't get it any more? Maybe it's the dilutent they can't get?
My repro vet has used the in office test for many years and I was shocked when they said yesterday that they could no longer get it.

This is from Synbiotics Corporation web site, the test was originally developed and first marketed in 1982 and has proved to be reliable and affordable. In my experience positives are rare, a dilutent is supplied with the test to further test and rule out false positives. If the second test is positive serum is submitted to a commercial lab for the Brucella canis tube agglutination test which takes several days.

"The D-TEC® CB Canine Brucellosis Antibody Test Kit is a Rapid Slide Agglutination Test (RSAT) which has been shown to presumptively diagnose infection with Brucella canis by detecting specific antibody that is formed one to four weeks after infection.*
Rapid. Dependable results are available in approximately two minutes.
Accurate. False negatives have rarely been reported.
Sensitive. *Detects both early and chronic stages of infection.
Contains 2-ME to further test RSAT positive samples.
The American Kennel Club (AKC) recommends a confirmed negative status prior to breeding.
- Sold to licensed veterinarians only."

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Thank you for the head's up, Barb. Interesting thread as well.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Taking my bitch in today for this Brucellosis test. will report back if they have it available in the office or not.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
All the vets here have always sent mine out but w/ a turnaround time of only 1-2 days, I have to wonder if that lab that does them is using a kit too. This could throw a monkey wrench into some of the timing requirements if you don't have a real good handle on when your bitch will come into season. Test too early, a stud dog may refuse service, and too late, results may not be in.... :( I typically waited until mine was in season to have it run.

·
Registered
9,767 Posts
All the vets here have always sent mine out but w/ a turnaround time of only 1-2 days, I have to wonder if that lab that does them is using a kit too.
That is very likely as the RSAT test is the only canine Brucellosis test that would have results in a short period of time.

My current supply may not been as recently acquired as I previously stated, the box is half full so it may have been purchased 2-3 months ago rather than the 2-3 weeks. I will talk to our supplier this week and report on the availability or lack thereof.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine was sent out yesterday, they said 2 day turnaround, it is not the RSAT test. They said if it comes back "inconclusive" or "positive" then they do something different which will require 10 days. Maybe a culture?

·
Registered
234 Posts
had the Bruc. test done yesterday at my local vet in S/W Ohio. I am told I will have results in 2 days or less

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So they did sent it out, right?
Just got mine back today, took 2 days. Was sent out.
(negative as expected, but still always a relief!)

had the Bruc. test done yesterday at my local vet in S/W Ohio. I am told I will have results in 2 days or less

1 - 20 of 22 Posts