RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey RTF,

I've got a big question for you guys. I have a unique situation where I was given a dog with great bloodlines (a golden sired by Tidewater's "Drake") due to a divorce situation. The dog is a 2.5 year-old golden retriever and one of the biggest reasons we got her was so my wife could have a companion because our YLM wants nothing to do with my wife. However, the new golden is not very interested in ducks. I am trying to get her excited and it doesnt seem to be working. We have only had her for 6 days, so that could be part of the problem. The lady that gave her to us has chickens and she would prevent the dog from getting the chickens in her mouth, so this could be a potential problem. The dog is kind of timid as well, but I think it is becae of the recent stress of a new home. I do not plan on forcing this dog to be a hunting companion nor do I plan on forcing her to run hunt tests. I would like to do this if she is willing. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get her amped up enough to get excited about birds? My thought were start with a live pigeon (something with some movement). As I mentioned before, I really dont want to break this dog down as she is a very nice pet and my wife loves her, so if I cant figure it out, she will have to live a happy life in the house with us :) I would really appreciate any suggestions...thank you guys!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
? My thought were start with a live pigeon (something with some movement
I would give her more time to settle in and then do the pigeon

·
Registered
404 Posts
Agree with Bridget. Let her settle in.
Maybe also, see if you can get a bit of enthusiasm with retrieving toys going, and if so advance to toys with tails and/or wings that you can flap a bit in your hand before tossing. When you do move to birds pigeons or tethered quail would be small and less intimidating for a novice dog. OR with pointing dogs that have had issues that caused blinking (bird shyness) sometimes you can use fur to get drive back. A dead squirrel or rat (store bought is "cleaner.) Strange I know, and like many things it can create new issues (like a dog that stops in the field and starts mousing... or rolling on game, also) but if you are careful it can be enough to get a dog going after game again.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Ditto with Laurie...then after a bit, get her a nice fat pigeon and some Vet-wrap from the farm supply store. Wrap its wings where it can flap and run. If this don't get her prey drive going, it might be tough.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Jeremy...just my opinion not knowing your wife but it seems to me there's a progression for that Golden if it does somewhat take to birds which may include heeling sticks and such. :cool:

Wouldn't want to deny a natural drive or desire in the dog but if it's not there....I'm OK with some dogs in the house just being there to love on (if its the wifes!)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeremy...just my opinion not knowing your wife but it seems to me there's a progression for that Golden if it does somewhat take to birds which may include heeling sticks and such. :cool:

Wouldn't want to deny a natural drive or desire in the dog but if it's not there....I'm OK with some dogs in the house just being there to love on (if its the wifes!)
HNTFSH, you are exactly right, if we can get the drive going, there will definitely be progression...but what I forgot to mention is that my wife will be involved with the progression as well. That was our agreement when we adopted her...if she has it and wants to do it, then we will work her. The other part to our agreement is that if she doesnt have it, we are not going to force it on her and we will love her just the same. She is a very sweet dog with people and has taken to my wife very well...hard not to love any dog like that :)

Thank you guy very much for your suggestions. I am going to hold off for a while like you said and just let her be a dog and enjoy herself in the house. I like the idea to start with toys, etc, and progress to the smaller, shackled birds after that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts