RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are you guys getting the best deals on bumper boy spare parts and ammo? Direct from bb or do u go aftermarket? Thanks

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I bought a case of brown .22 cal power charges on eBay for $0.0167 ea. About 1 in 6 is weaker than the others, but at this price I can live with it and 10,000 will last me about 5 years. (I used to buy them at Menards for ~$7/100, but the local store would only order 1 box at a time, so I got looking around.)

O-rings are #11 at any hardware store.

I found batteries on line from a listing here on RTF. (Mine were many years old and one was weak, so for $45 I replaced all 3 4-shooters.)

I buy the servos from BB because they come with the right connector.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. Thanks. I had a friend buy servos from another company. Just curious what others were doing as well

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have tried the blank shells from Home Depot for the nail guns. The work fine and you don't have to pay for shipping. Look for a hobby shop near you. That is where I got mine and again now shipping charge. They were a little cheaper. The only thing I need is anyone out there know what is the correct O ring size. Is it a #10 or #11 O ring.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have tried the blank shells from Home Depot for the nail guns. The work fine and you don't have to pay for shipping. Look for a hobby shop near you. That is where I got mine and again now shipping charge. They were a little cheaper. The only thing I need is anyone out there know what is the correct O ring size. Is it a #10 or #11 O ring.
I agree H Depot nail gun shells. They're cheap and very good.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Get servos from Servo Hut (Google it).
Ammo can be found at Home Depot or lowes, as can the O rings (size 11) in the plumbing area.

·
Registered
164 Posts
A futaba S3003 std servo will work. Its progtrammable right from the bumper boy. Costs $10.99 at Hobby Lobby or Hobby Shack. You will also need some heat shrink to put back across the connector to keep water out and secure the connection.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I have gone to using #12 O rings on 3 of my 4 launchers. It does not look as good, looks a tad too big but I can get the bumper to slide on. I get a better seal and a better launch when the bumper is wet inside, instead of that plop into the water.

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
I use the nail gun .22 from Home Depot as well. I use the yellow.Just curious, what does everyone else use and why?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yellows and browns mostly(3 and 4) the occasional 2 when I need a shorter mark of some sort or need to make sure it doesnt pass the line for a particular retrieve as in doing a diversion or bulldog. The number ones wont even push the bumper off if they are dirty at all or wet most of the time.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I've always used the yellows. I used to use the wadded blanks that BB recommended. I'd order them from BB at a reasonable price. Once BB was out of them and said to use the crimps from Lowes. I've used them since.

Experiment with making 3/4 PVC spacers that slide over the barrels to limit the distance the bumper goes. About a 2" spacer with a yellow blank throws the bumper as far as an adult throws a duck, and you get the loud report from the yellow load.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I use Brown Ramset 22CW. I bought a case on eBay for $1.67/100 (when the local Menards would only order one box at a time.) I've probably fired 10,000 to date before buying these and now have nearly 10k on hand.

(I have used yellow green and brown, but settled on brown.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts