RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to repair my wife's Bumper Boys, which she got used. They were new in 2002.

My first stop was to get a replacement NiCd battery stack from Batteries Plus to replace the battery that was not charging up and holding 6 volts.

4 of the 6 servos are missing their stainless steel covers, which screw through the same screw holes holding the servos on, and have an opening for the shaft. Are these parts necessary for the correct operation of the servos?

One of the servos is missing its backing plate, which is a 2mm piece of aluminum pop-riveted onto the main part of the firing mechanism. Is this needed? If so, I'll attempt to make a replacement.

All 3 of the boys have the receiver unit screwed on pretty tight with the nylocks, but one of the manuals I found says they should be "loose" in order to minimize the effect of recoil. How loose should loose be? At present, there's no wobble or slop at all.

Can I test fire the devices by putting a spent shell in the breech, so that the hammer/pin strike doesn't damage the pin or the breech, or should I just haul them out to the field and load them and fire them to test alignment of the servo and general functionality?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Also, where can you get a replacement antennae for the receiver?

I ordered some batteries online at a random place. I will find out if they will work after they arrive in, and let everyone know where and what I ordered.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Also, where can you get a replacement antennae for the receiver?

I ordered some batteries online at a random place. I will find out if they will work after they arrive in, and let everyone know where and what I ordered.
I ordered some from Batteries America and the leads were about an inch to short.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Servos don't need covers.
Antenna. Not much can go wrong. Likely broken copper wire strand
Pull off rubber sleeve and resolder broken copper wire, slip sleeve on, maybe dab of adhesive, done.
Mounting receiver back of nuts just until receiver moves freely.
No need to live test fire to check servo function. Just "fire" them with no loads and without cocking pins.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I ordered some from Batteries America and the leads were about an inch to short.
That is where I ordered some batteries. I already have a 9V rechargeable for the transmitter. I just guessed on the 6V for the receiver from a description on this board from a few years ago, except I ordered a NiMh rather than NiCd. I could always build an external battery pack that could take rechargeable c's or d's.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
That is where I ordered some batteries. I already have a 9V rechargeable for the transmitter. I just guessed on the 6V for the receiver from a description on this board from a few years ago, except I ordered a NiMh rather than NiCd. I could always build an external battery pack that could take rechargeable c's or d's.
I was told that was the place to get them, so I guess some people have luck with them, maybe yours will come with longer leads. Let us know if it works out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts