RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the perceived advantages and disadvantages of using bumper boy's over launchers?
Where can each tool be used most effectively in training?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Wingers usually work.
That had me busting up, for me life is too short to train with the frustrations of using bumperboy launchers. They are great for teaching a dog to mark not using a gunner as an aid and are great short marks for breaking.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Wingers usually work.
HAHAHAHAHAHA great reply!!!

I HATE bumper boys and my training partner LOOOOOOOOOOVES them, has two four shooters and two single shooters and insists we use them. Did I mention I hate them and they only work about 20% of the time?

Our Gunners Up winger works like a flinkin charm and hey guess what, actually throws birds.
I'll take the winger hands down, every time.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHA great reply!!!

I HATE bumper boys and my training partner LOOOOOOOOOOVES them, has two four shooters and two single shooters and insists we use them. Did I mention I hate them and they only work about 20% of the time?

Our Gunners Up winger works like a flinkin charm and hey guess what, actually throws birds.
I'll take the winger hands down, every time.
Only 20%??? What are they doing wrong?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I use to have 3 derby doubles, they were pretty reliable as long as I kept the cleaned, if I didn't keep them clean, they would miss-fire every now and then. I won a gunners up winger, and have since sold all my derby doubles and have switched to wingers. I only have 2 dogs that I work with and need the exercise! The derby doubles were nice when my young dog had trouble on a mark, but I like the winger because I can use ducks or bumpers.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Who knows. It's always something. The range is terrible, can't put it behind a holding blind, very finicky with which buttons to push to launch it, wires get disconnected or lodged somewhere they shouldn't, dud bullets, you name it.
Then there's the issue that MANY times a dog has marked it, whizzed right by the bumper laying black side up in cover (no scent) and the dog hunts all over creation only to be bailed out with a 2nd throw. Unfair to the dog.
I'll take a winger throwing a bird any day of the week. She loves the bumper boys and wants to use them all the time, and I guess has the patience to deal with their hangups.

·
Registered
201 Posts
We have both and they each have their advantages and shortfalls. You sometimes need an electrical engineering degree to keep the bumper boys working or at least a father-in-law with a lot more common sense and practical knowledge than you have.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have 3 four shooters, and use them primarily for water marks and marking drills. I have the new electronics on my units and have found my BBs to be very reliable (gotta keep them clean).

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
...stating the obvious, you can't throw ducks with the BB, so naturally, I don't use them where I have ducks at a station :razz:;-)...I put wingers or a live person at that/those station.

Other than that, I have four BB's , find them to be indispensable when training short handed, and use them with little trouble most the time.

john

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
A bumper boy can give you a second throw if you need it as apposed to a winger, but I am pretty much only using wingers these days, as the real bird is so much fun!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Who knows, my Derby Doubles have been going for about 6 years now with a reliability rate est. at 90%. Had to replace a few servos over the years and the rubber "O" rings, but I consider that routine maintance. Oh, the 10% failures, Operator error, not cocking,forgetting to turn unit on, that sort of dumb stuff.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
...stating the obvious, you can't throw ducks with the BB, so naturally, I don't use them where I have ducks at a station :razz:;-)...I put wingers or a live person at that/those station.
Well ya can, but the throws are short and you only get one throw with the duck. Kind of messy too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts