RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which type of bumpers do you use and what size.

I've used plastic 2 and 3 inch bumpers (lucky dog) for as long as I can remember. A friend told me that the pros don't use plastic because the dogs don't work as well with them.
I'm going to get a couple of dozen soon and would like some options.

Would you give some feed back on the types being used? Pro and Con

Thanks

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The hard platic ones have their place. They are good for force fetch. I always keep a few around.

Canvas ones are good for dogs that have developed issues with bumpers, or that have mouth problems. They get dirty easy, get waterlogged and don't float as well. I always keep a few around.

My standby is the Neuman & Bennett soft bumper, big & small. They throw farther, they float better, and they're cheaper than DFTs!

DFTs. Some people swear by them. IMHO, why pay the $? Any well forced dog will pick up WHATEVER you throw for it, so no need for the "realism".

Lisa

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Don't know what pros your friend is talking about, but ALL the pros and amateurs I know use the same bumpers that you do, in various colors. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I prefer Lucky Dogs, though Neumann and Bennets aren't bad - but I do have a few canvas ones that were acquired by conning petsmart.

Stick with plastic. longer lasting, float better, and can be adjusted using the valve.

The bigger debate is "Color of Throw ropes"

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Canvas bumpers get old and rot. Plastic is fine. I have both lucky dog and hallmarks. I like the hallmarks the best as they don't fill up with water and they stay flexible down to a lower temp.

I do use canvas bumpers when the temp gets below about 20 or so.

Ask WRL what happens when you throw a plastic bumper onto somehthing hard at -15 degrees or so.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Canvas ones also don't slide under the snow as easily when you throw them! Downside is, when they get dirty, they are easier to spot on the snow. Gets hard doing blinds.

Color of throw ropes...make sure everyone in your training group uses a different color rope. That way, when they leave one of theirs behind, and you find it, you cut off their rope, put on one of yours, and bing-bada-boom, you now have a new bumper!

Lisa - it is NOT stealing, people should keep better track of their stuff

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Lisa Van Loo - "Color of throw ropes...make sure everyone in your training group uses a different color rope. That way, when they leave one of theirs behind, and you find it, you cut off their rope, put on one of yours, and bing-bada-boom, you now have a new bumper! "
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note to self: smart chip my bumpers! 8)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I like rubber bumpers.

Another tip, instead of different colored ropes, just buy some plasti-dip and dip the knots. Use different colors for each person to keep them seperate, and keeps the knots from untying.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I like the rubber ones i use 3doz LD's various colors, neuman/bennett's old hard ones (1/2 doz) and i do use infamous DFT's mallards/teal To hard to get real birds is why i use em

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Martha Stewart Tip of the Day

Throw your plastic bumpers in the washing machine with some bleach and they come out looking like like new!

Russ

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Russ said:
Martha Stewart Tip of the Day

Throw your plastic bumpers in the washing machine with some bleach and they come out looking like like new!

Russ

If I take her financial advice, I end up broke.

If I take her bumper cleaning advice will my 3 inch bumpers shrink and become 2 inch bumpers?

Just kidding

Great tip, thanks

Joe

E

·
0 Posts
That's all fine and well, but what about rubber baby buggy bumpers? Er, never mind...I have been pleased with my LD even though my D is not getting any right now.

Also, I use a black sharpie to write my last name on all my bumpers to keep the Lisa's of the world out of my stash! :wink: J/K Lisa...

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
I like the Lucky Dog bumpers over N&B. They are just slightly lighter and I can throw them farther - an issue for me. (I don't mind throwing for others as long as they'll throw fo me.) I also make my ropes shorter than most people - compensates for long arms. My bumpers can be identified by the short ropes. On black bumpers, I use car touch up paint to mark the ends. Works on the white ones, as well. But, I love Lisa's philosophy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't like the soft plastic dummies. I think they get the dogs moving their mouth to much.
I like the hard plastic ones 2 and 3 inch. We also use canvas and to tell the truth I have been thinking of going back to the piece of wood with an old sock or two over it and tied off with a knot to create a throwing handle. You can use all different sizes and we never had a problem with them. You just need to watch for them getting caught in pups teeth when they are teething. I gues that's why they invented paint rollers.
Waynep.

·
Registered
932 Posts
ExHorn97 said:
That's all fine and well, but what about rubber baby buggy bumpers? Er, never mind...I have been pleased with my LD even though my D is not getting any right now.

Also, I use a black sharpie to write my last name on all my bumpers to keep the Lisa's of the world out of my stash! :wink: J/K Lisa...
The girl has had her brown thievin' dawgs steal my hooch from my ponds, and now she's devisin' ways to steal bumpers.
Man, no wonder New Yorkers get a bad name!

Ex-California clepto on the loose in NY......aka LisaDee....hehehe

Nazdrowie............... :drinking:

Polock........and to think that I asked her to be a club officer........mercy, what was I thinkin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe Equipment Acquisition Manager would be a better title for her!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Has anyone used the Dokken dummies (not DFT'S)? I have been using N&B's for years, but they tend to vary in feel from rock solid in winter to limp noodle in this 105 degree summer heat. It seems to me that the Dokkens would be more stable with a consistantly nice feel. I think the plastic ones in generel tend to encourage rolling when they get soft in the summer around here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts