RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering using the call name, Spook. From the registered name it will have the connotation of ghost or spector. However, there may be some who will take offence I expect for its slang relation to black people. What do you think?

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
on a cream golden or lite dead grass chessie or an almost white lab.... kinda cool
on a black lab........ not for me.
But I am the guy that changed a rescues name from Toby to Scooby 'cause of the same.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
listen, just get an additional yellow lab and name it cracker. if you can offend everyone at the same time i think it's like offsetting penalties in football!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I would say if you are that worried about it, then there's a good chance some may be offended. Apparently it rang that bell for you, so it will for others also.

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
the rule of thumb to live by is not use a name you would NOT feel comfy yelling in a motel parking lot at 4 a.m.

I vote this one for best response to almost any post this past week!! Nearly fell out of my chair laughing. I agree whole heartedly. Now if you're black it might go over OK but you wouldn't find this auburn and grey haired fellow using that call name on a black dog.

i seem to remember someone contemplating that call name in a post some time back and I wondered if they were aware of the possible connotation.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had a black lab a couple years ago I named spook if someone has a problem with it that's there problem IMO its your dog I got my pup on Halloween

·
Registered
172 Posts
How about the call name pimp? Would that be considered offensive =-)

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
Why not just add a letter and call him Spooky?

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I am considering using the call name, Spook. From the registered name it will have the connotation of ghost or spector. However, there may be some who will take offence I expect for its slang relation to black people. What do you think?
Never would have entered my mind.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
heres a way you can test it, bring your pup to the park where lots of people are and let your pup run on lead let him get away from you for a bit then yell his name "Spook" see if anyone stares or glares at you if not then there ya go. if they do think of another name - good luck

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
When I was I kid living in rural N. Virginia we aquired two beagle x blue-tick crosses. One was mostly black, and one was mostly white with some blue ticks. Their names were Blackie and Whitie. Whitie was killed by a car at a very young age. Blackie not only lived with us that few short years, but survived to be a world traveler.
We lived in what had been in the past the stable managers house on a farm in rural Fauquier County.
We had a old man come by in the fall to rake the many leaves. I believe his name was 'Ben'.
One day before leaving for school I went outside to call for my dog before leaving to wait for the school bus.
"Blackie, Blackie", I yelled walking around the house.
To my surprise, Ben wallked around the corner and replied "Yes sir".

Funny, the things you remember.
JD

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
tell everybody you named the dog for a CIA operative

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Name the dog what you want. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Well here's another view -- don't name the dog something with a negative connotation.
I don't know about you but I wouldn't want a dog that was considered a spook.

Better socialization regards,

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Well here's another view -- don't name the dog something with a negative connotation.
Negative connotation to whom? That is always subjective. It's his dog and he can name it whatever he choses. If someone is offended, tough turkey!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Negative connotation to whom? That is always subjective. It's his dog and he can name it whatever he choses. If someone is offended, tough turkey!
Agree. I know of a dog named Spook and I never even thought of the name as offensive. That is just silly. Everyone is so sensitive these days over everything.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts