RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was mowing the weeds the other day and apparently forgot that there was a wash out amongst the weeds, me, being quite bright in all things, decided to plow through the weeds and busted the washout completely off, knocking the top clean off and breaking the "Y" pipe.

Now my clothes smell like someone threw a dead skunk in the washing machine. So I decided I would Mr. Fix this thing myself. I cut the old fittings out, leaving about 4 inches of pip on one side (leading to another "Y" pipe which leads to the main line from under the house and I have the rest of the line on the other side. I pieced my new part together and glued it in its place. I had no more than .5 inches of pipe covered on either side with the new set up because I cut one pipe too short. Now I have a slow drip out of one of the ends.

I can cut it back out and redo the entire thing, but if I do that I do not have any pipe left on the right side, there is probably less than an inch of pipe left before the next fitting, I am afraid I would have to cut that out too.

My questions are

1. My clothes still smell like hell after washing them, which must mean air is still getting in the line, right?

2. Is there an alternative cuppling I can use without having to fool with cutting out another fitting, just cut that pipe, add this which would give me enough extension and a seal?

3. Is there a topical sealant I can use on the outside of the pipe on the two ends that would seal it, keep water from dripping out and air from getting in and would allow for me to avoid having to cut and piece another set of fittings and so forth?

Sorry, I am trying to DIY something I don't have any business DIY'ing

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
If you isolate the area by way of plugs or caps you can use a shop vac to create a vacuum and then add PVC glue to the area. he glue will actually pull into the void and seal the area.

If this is not an option them you may try to get it really dry and clean with PVC cleaner and then apply glue over the bad connection. If its small enough and not under pressure it can seal.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Not sure on the clothes. I have never had the smell stay on them after washing.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You could try a Fern coupling, it is a rubber coupling with straps for tightning. Ask your local plumbing supply.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cut out all the pipe and fitting that leak. Go and buy all the fittings and pipe you cut out. If it's ABS or PVE get either NO HUB or Fernco bands to tie it all togeather. NO HUBS are easier to slip into place. Sounds like you cut your pipe too short. Make sure the pipe is dry before you glue it all up. Glue on the outside wont work.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I don't know if this will help but, if you carefully make cuts on the fitting hubs about a half inch apart with a hacksaw lenthgwise about a half inch apart, you can usually slip a screwdriver between the fitting and the pipe and pry up and break the pieces off enough to get the fitting off without having to cut the pipe again. Just cut through the fitting not the pipe.

You don't have to go the whole way around the pipe. Maybe 1/3 of the way or a little on 2 sides.

This is assuming the pipe is PVC. If it doesn't work you can still cut the pipe.

To get it fixed you'll have to add pipe if you need it. You want the fittings to bottom out on the pipe. As someone else said use a PVC cleaning solvent too before you glue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts