Has anyone ever heard of this product?
Used it?

Any opinions?

Thanks,

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had to do a google search on it...I'd never heard of it.

http://www.herbsmithinc.com/Home/Canine/Herbs/CalmShen/default.asp

No experience with it, but I know of a few people I'd like to try this out on. I guess that's why they make Prozac.
HAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Maybe I should try it????

I talked to the people who make it.
They developed it for FT Spaniels and Labs that run some kind of test, I didn't understand which though.
It has no pharmaceuticals, all herbs.
They swear it has no negative effects towards energy or attitude.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I use this and really think it helps. I have a very anxious 5 year old Labrador. She has issues with other dogs (dogs not in her own pack) and gets overly anxious when left at home. That being said, she does retrieve, but nothing formal (not a dog we compete with). I am only giving her 1/2 of the recommended dose now and I notice a significant difference after 4 weeks. I will soon give her the full dose and expect to see an even better result. I like that she does not seem "sedated," for lack of a better term, but instead is like a more calm version of herself.

I have to admit that I was very skeptical of something such as this. A training friend recommended a different brand but I can get Herbsmith wholesale so I went with it. I have used other products they make and have been happy with them. I even called and talked to a representative on a Sunday afternoon. They take turns forwarding calls to their cell phones so they are always accesible to clients. You are also able to schedule a phone call/consulation with the veterinarian who developed these supplements. I really think it is a great company.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of this product?
Used it?

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Haven't used this one, but have used "Rescue Remedy" to help with a thunder-phobic dog. It helped some.

I also know of a noisy dog (not my noisy dog) that was helped by taking "Calms Forte" before training/trialing

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I tried Benatyl and it did nothing for her. She gets so worked up at a hunt test I never know if she will stay put or not. If she sits she does well in a master test, but last week broke on honor.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would add that if you are going to try Calm Shen you need to try it for at least 6-8 weeks. It takes that long to work through their systems. They did tell me that some people saw a difference quickly, but some need the whole 8 weeks to notice a change.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I would add that if you are going to try Calm Shen you need to try it for at least 6-8 weeks. It takes that long to work through their systems. They did tell me that some people saw a difference quickly, but some need the whole 8 weeks to notice a change.
The Calms Forte did seem to help with holding blind excitement and also helped to generally take the edge off an overly excited dog. It took a week or so to begin to make a difference with the dog in our group (as I recall).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Haven't used this one, but have used "Rescue Remedy" to help with a thunder-phobic dog. It helped some.

I also know of a noisy dog (not my noisy dog) that was helped by taking "Calms Forte" before training/trialing

Would it help in getting a dog to calm down between the truck and the last holding blind? ;)
I use rescue remedy as well. It helps before a test. My oldest girl will whine and actually shake with anticipation....to the point where she has been so excited she didnt focus as she needed to. A good airing the night before and a couple drops of the rescue remedy has not hurt anything and seem to take the edge off of the anxiousness enough to help where she and I both needed it to.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
First observation, GOOD STUFF!

Let me know if you want details.
Maybe this should be moved to product reviews.
I'd still like to know what YOUR experience is/was with this.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I'm going to give this stuff a shot and see what it will do. Our very talented yellowdog went absolutely ape feces on the middle bird of a water triple training set up and had to be physically moved to the enxt bird so he could see the mark. He was fine on the land set up in the morning and focused pretty well. The difference? The benadryl wore off. :roll:

I love the hell out of this dog. His drive is off the charts, and he has a wonderful personality. The dog is absolutely stone obedient, but he comes unglued at times. I need something to improve his focus.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
First observation, GOOD STUFF!

Let me know if you want details.
Maybe this should be moved to product reviews.
I'd still like to know what YOUR experience is/was with this.

Thanks,
Please provide details. Why did you start giving this and what have you noticed since?

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going to give this stuff a shot and see what it will do. Our very talented yellowdog went absolutely ape feces on the middle bird of a water triple training set up and had to be physically moved to the enxt bird so he could see the mark. He was fine on the land set up in the morning and focused pretty well. The difference? The benadryl wore off. :roll:

I love the hell out of this dog. His drive is off the charts, and he has a wonderful personality. The dog is absolutely stone obedient, but he comes unglued at times. I need something to improve his focus.
FWIW---There was a noticeable difference in anxiety.
FOCUS seemed dramatically improved.
The external stuff seemed to vanish to him.
Absolutely NO loss of desire, attitude or athleticism.

I was almost in tears.
There are some people that are on this site that saw it last night.
Clearly an improvement at the line.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
FWIW---There was a noticeable difference in anxiety.
FOCUS seemed dramatically improved.
The external stuff seemed to vanish to him.
Absolutely NO loss of desire, attitude or athleticism.

I was almost in tears.
There are some people that are on this site that saw it last night.
Clearly an improvement at the line.
Stan,

How long did you give the product before you noticed a difference in behavior?

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Stan,

How long did you give the product before you noticed a difference in behavior?
2 days.
I did not give the full dose.
I gave 3 tablets at mid day 2 days in a row.
All I needed was a little more focus, and forget the distractions.
And that is what I got.
(they did claim it can take up to 6 weeks, this is just what we got)

We train hard, he knows what to do.
But when there is gunfire, DUCKS, other dogs, smells etc, his mind tries to take all of that in and his mind wanders.
Yesterday (the first day of training with those distractions) he was dialed in.

Frankly, it may have been the most solid run he has ever had!

In no way did he seem drugged or down.
He actually seemed happier.

I think this is directly related to anxiety, not poor training or lack of talent.
I believe this helps remove the anxiety which I also believe is primarily hereditary.

I could be wrong.
( and most likely I am:rolleyes:)

But this is one more piece to this perplexing puzzle.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 99 Posts