RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What would be your preference on clothing at HRC tests (assuming you could change the rule)

• Handler should be in Camo head to toe--No Exceptions!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Camo top and dark pants are ok with you

• Camo top and jeans are ok

• Whatever the handler wants as long as it isn't white or neon is ok

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For all of you that got the latest issue of HRC magazine, the judges corner spends a lot of time discussing clothing allowable at tests. For me, I've never seen it as that big a deal. Maybe this is because I don't worry about it that much when bird hunting (with the exception of turkeys). When I hunt doves I usually wear a camo t-shirt and kahki shorts or blue jeans. Duck hunting, a camo jacket and dark brown waders. Upland--heck whatever is warm and semi-thorn proof. After getting in trouble, I had to go buy camo pants to run HRC tests (I didn't own any). Do you believe it is absolutely necessary to be decked out head to toe in camo to run a test???

John
________
Avandia Class Action Settlement

·
Registered
932 Posts
John, I think you need a choice that says, 'The handler shall wear what the rulebook requires'.
When ya choose to play a dawg game it is the job of the handler to know the rulebook and abide with the rules..........or don't play...............

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Polock said:
John, I think you need a choice that says, 'The handler shall wear what the rulebook requires'.
When ya choose to play a dawg game it is the job of the handler to know the rulebook and abide with the rules..........or don't play...............
Polock:

I agree 100 percent with that, I was just wondering what people's feelings were about it.

John
________
Iolite portable vaporizers

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Well, I haven't run HRC for three years. But when I did, blue jeans were perfectly fine, as long as one had a camo shirt or jacket (and hat).

It is also worth mentioning it is easy for small things like this to vary from region to region.

---------------------
It seems kind of moot though, doesn't it? I mean if JT is allowed to run the Grand wearing camo shorts and baring those pasty white legs, what damage can dark jeans do?

"JT's pasty white legs vs. dark blue jeans," come one! Which are more likely to flare birds?!!

They'll flare all of us, I'll tell you.

Well, except for Russ.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:wink:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think the handler should be required 'hunting clothes' consistent with the hunting environment. This does not require sticks and leaves type camouflage nor does it require white when snow goose hunting. Actually, if more tests were run out of real hunting type duck/goose blinds, I think the Camo debate would be small peanuts.

I had the opprotunity to share a duckblind with a single digit HRC member this January. I said to him, "Just think, although we actually hunting here, I probably wouldn't be allowed to run an HRC test with these clothes on." His response after looking me up and down and finishing putting his pin back in his 870 was 'That wasn't what we intended when we wrote it'.

Rick Fanella

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AmiableLabs said:
Well, I haven't run HRC for three years. But when I did, blue jeans were perfectly fine, as long as one had a camo shirt or jacket (and hat).

It is also worth mentioning it is easy for small things like this to vary from region to region.

---------------------
It seems kind of moot though, doesn't it? I mean if JT is allowed to run the Grand wearing camo shorts and baring those pasty white legs, what damage can dark jeans do?

"JT's pasty white legs vs. dark blue jeans," come one! Which are more likely to flare birds?!!

They'll flare all of us, I'll tell you.

Well, except for Russ.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:wink:
Kevin:

In this region my experience was that jeans were allowed but discouraged. But after reading this month's Corner..... Well it just started me thinking.

Thanks for bringing up Justin's legs--there's an image I didn't need :D :D :D

·
Registered
407 Posts
I recall an older thread that helped me form an opinion and "if I could choose" it would be simply whatever hunting clothes that I wore the season before. Whether that be Filson, Carhart or the latest Camo pattern if it blends in with the background all should be good, jmho.
Peake
________
N02 Vaporizer

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Sounds like you boys from PA are in need of a refresher from a certain George Clooney lookalike regarding the evils of Filson and McAllister! :wink: :wink: :wink:

8) 8)

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I voted for camouflage shirt and jeans but I really don?t think it makes much difference. I grew up hunting deer and ducks in a pair of brown duck coveralls. In today?s hunting world I think camouflage is more of a fashion statement than a necessity.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Patrick Johndrow said:
In today?s hunting world I think camouflage is more of a fashion statement than a necessity.
Yup, I agree.

But what a COOL fashion statement!!! :D

It could be worse, we could have to wear blaze orange like the pointer people! :lol:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I don?t remember any camo being available when I was younger. A good friend had a beige down coat as his duck hunting coat. At the time he tried to match conditions with his gear. The down coat matched the marsh grass pretty well.

BTW, my first hunting coat was my Marine Corp field jacket. My second was an Air Force cold weather parka that I got at a surplus store.

The fact that como is available has made it the requisite clothing.

In a hunting situation, who would you rather hunt with, a hunter completely outfitted in the latest camo pattern that perfectly matches the surroundings that moves around a little too much or someone in drab attire that just sits still when the birds are comin? in?

Joe Miano

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
I have a picture somewhere of a friend and myself when we were about 12. We have just come home I from dove hunting. I have on jeans and a aqua Miami Dolphins shirt, my friend has on jeans and???..a Mork and Mindy tee shirt!!!
I don?t think I owned any camo until I was in my twenties with the exception of a camo stool for dove hunting.
I don?t think jeans and a camo shirt and hat should be a problem. In reading the article, the author seems to suggest that a handler needs to carry camo for every situation that comes up. He made mention of hardwoods camo in corn stubble and vice versa. I think that is asking a little too much.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
For some reason the Gator's post reminded me of my then 4yr-old grandson's camo for our first duck hunt together. Was his electric blue camo-patterned PJs. We killed a teal, and he worked "his" dog, just like in the yard. (Then we packed it in while we were ahead and went home to show off.)

So I guess there's grounds for requiring "harmonious with the background," rather than simply "camo" clothing. Some pretty nifty snow camo patterns out there. But if there were no latitude for reason, we'd all be buying new camo patterns and hauling a wardrobe trailer in order to match whatever might come up.

A prohibition on jeans strikes me as silly affectation, rather than meaningful, but, as has been noted, it's their game. And if this hunter has to purchase an official HRC uniform to play that game, so be it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No Choice on your list...

How come you didn't include an option in your pole to reflect current HRC rules?

By the way... camo is not required. The choices are camo or suitable/traditional hunting attire.

Andr

1 - 17 of 17 Posts