RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide which to buy can't really find any info in consumer reports so figured ask dog people who have them Thanks in advance. Did search old resuts!

·
Registered
622 Posts
ARE all the way, have a Century and quality is poor. Next one will be ARE for sure.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Just bought an ARE and am very happy with it. Got the MX series with sliding windoors and sliding front.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Have had 2 ARE's and one Century, and we'll never have anything but ARE. We have the lift up windows with the sliders, perfect for the dogs. Also have the front slider and a tube for between the shell and cab so we can cool/heat the back if needed.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I had a Leer on my last truck and got an ARE this time. I looked at Leer and ordered it. They called and said their "windoor" was about 4" short front and back where it fit into the recessed opening molded into the cap and would that be OK? At that time they didn't have the ventilated windoor. No slider built into the sides. Cancelled the order and got the ARE. That was about 3 years ago so things have probably changed by now.

I too got the MX, I think it's about 4" higher inside allowing for drawers under the crates. The Leer does look nice though.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I bought an ARE MX w/ windoors, in March. I like the cap but, the drivers side windoor gas shocks came off there mounts. The whole windoor must be replaced. Dealer said it's a design flaw & they are redesigning. Still waiting.......

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also have an are cap. I haven had any problems yet and it 4yrs old. a friend has a leer and the gas shocks are smaller and he has had to replace them. they werent holding up the side or rear windows; especially when it started to get a little colder. He has also had to replace the locks.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
For you mechanics out there: If you have the pass thru open to the cap and are trying to heat or cool that additional area, would that overwork the AC or heat system?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
For you mechanics out there: If you have the pass thru open to the cap and are trying to heat or cool that additional area, would that overwork the AC or heat system?
I would think it wouldn't work. The a/c in my truck can just cool the cab. It wouldn't hurt anything just wouldn't be effective.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I bought an ARE MX w/ windoors, in March. I like the cap but, the drivers side windoor gas shocks came off there mounts. The whole windoor must be replaced. Dealer said it's a design flaw & they are redesigning. Still waiting.......
Scott,

Mine did that when it was new about 3 years ago on both sides. It looked like the angle of the mounts was wrong and it would push the ball on the strut off of the metal mount when it was closed. I was afraid to do it so I took it back and the dealer just bent the mounts so the angle was different and they've worked ever since.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Thanks John.We'll see where this goes.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have had a Leer since 2004. Front window has a slider, and it folds down inside the cap so you can wash it. Needless to say, it leaks now.
Replaced the shocks on the back window after 2 years, and also beefed up the screws into the fiberglass that holds them in place.
Both bat wing windows in the back leak also. Probably wouldn't get another Leer.
I travel to the OBX from Ohio atleast 2 times a year, and I take 1 inch foam cushions, roll them up and use them to seal around the back window of the truck, and the front window of the cap. I put 2 small kennel fans in the window, and crank the AC. Never had a problem with overworking the AC, and have never had a dog pant on the 12 hour trip to the OBX. The sleep very calm the entire way.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It will not over work your system, the fixed displacement compressors run full tilt and cycle on and off, temp control is done by vent doors and the blower motor. have seen A/C units feeze up because they got too cold and the humidity was just right ( back in the R12 days). the only think you might notice is the cab will not seem as cold because the cool may get pushed to the back. as far has heat it will not over work it either, coolant is passing thru the heater core almost all the time anyways (vent doors again unless it has a heater control valve that shut the coolant off), the heater core is just a smaller version of your radiator.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have a Century for 2 plus years and no problems.I looked at ARE but at the time the bottom had a bead on it and living in the NW with trees to much junk would collect on the edge of the bottom bead.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Last two trucks had Leer Caps on them. Rear main entry window had single push button opener. That's the biggest thing I would change. Go with the old style T Handles. Cold weather / ice/snow screws up the buttons to much. They freeze up, and won't operate correctly.

Other then that, my Leers have been O.K. Did replace the gas struts on my current cap at about 5 years old. I think the ARE's have more options though, and I think I am going with them on the next truck.

Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts