RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my family have recently gotten a pure black lab and all of the necessary paper work such as blood line and shot records for breeding and we're wondering if we get an hrc title for the dog if it would increase the value
20210406_175208.jpg

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
no

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
I have been a customer of 'field bred' dogs for over 30 years. For me an HRC or AKC "title" alone would hold little to no added value. When I search for a new field dog, what I search for is a pup that has parents and Grandparents that have FC and/or AFC titles. I also consider pups whose Parents and Grandparents have MH titles and other performance titles. The last pup I purchased had Both Parents with MH, CDX, WCX titles and all Grandparents had MH, WCX, with many CDX's and a few with CCA's....I paid around $2K....he is turning out to be a wonderful field dog, so far...

Of course, this is just how WE do it...Good Luck

I once had a breeder tell me one should NEVER consider breeding your dog unless the breeding will bring something tangible that could IMPROVE the overall breed.....if we all did that, our dogs would become better and better, healthier and healthier....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Me and my family have recently gotten a pure black lab and all of the necessary paper work such as blood line and shot records for breeding and we're wondering if we get an hrc title for the dog if it would increase the value
First of all, puppy shot records have nothing to do with breeding. Increase the value in what way? If you plan to sell the dog itself later as a started dog then yes, an HRC title would probably help.

What increases the value of a litter is it being bred by a breeder that knows what the hell they are doing. Right now you don't sound like you know enough about retrievers to be worrying about breeding.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Camron,
You have an adorable pup. Hopefully if you want to hunt or get involved in hunt tests or field trials you have a field bred dog. However not all well bred pups turn out and most dogs should not be bred.

Good breeders realistically assess if a dog should be bred based on their performance as a trained dog and on getting health clearances. They also chose a sire based on how it will compliment their bitch. They have a vision of performance and looks.

My suggestion is enjoy your pup and learn as much as you can. Go to hunts and see if you would even like it and leave breeding to someone with the required knowledge. If you like the HRC events go for it based on fun and not for money.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
If you are serious about breeding, please visit the national Labrador Retriever Club, Inc. Website which contains information such as recommended health clearances:

Several of these tests (such as hips and elbows) cannot be completed until the dog is two years old.

Lots of things can—and do—happen before a dog turns two and before you consider breeding.

Meredith

1 - 7 of 7 Posts